The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Big 'Recommend Me A College' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Trevs is very musical :smile: It definitely has a choir, puts on a musical every year. You have to share a room for a term, which really isn't that bad, when you can choose when you want to share. Don't forget there are many choral/vocal societies so even if you're in a non-musical college, then can do a lot of musical stuff.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=662502 might help
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 61
You don't like either of the colleges I've got in for over 2 years... Offended...
Reply 62
lol well doesn't mean much considering i haven't visited them...don't want castle because it's oversubscribed. lol sorry
Reply 63
I replied to your PM. Will you have a chance to visit Durham to look round them?
Reply 64
St. John's seems to be quite good at music, although I am not there yet. From all the documents I've received from them there is indeed a huge emphasis on music, choir, etc...

Also, have a look here and watch some of the videos to get a brief idea of each College: http://www.youtube.com/user/DurhamUniversity.

Good luck in your choice! :smile:
Reply 65
WokSz
St. John's seems to be quite good at music, although I am not there yet. From all the documents I've received from them there is indeed a huge emphasis on music, choir, etc...

Also, have a look here and watch some of the videos to get a brief idea of each College: http://www.youtube.com/user/DurhamUniversity.

Good luck in your choice! :smile:

oo are you coming to john's too? yay :biggrin: excellent choice.

uuur i hate the john's video. for many reasons, the main one being that i am on it failing spectacularly to open a bottle of wine.... durrrrr.
Reply 66
sidekick

uuur i hate the john's video. for many reasons, the main one being that i am on it failing spectacularly to open a bottle of wine.... durrrrr.

I've watched that video so many times, but I've never noticed that before! You seem to flap the arms of the corkscrew up and down in the hope that perhaps the cork will be nice enough to come out of its own accord...

Ah... John's looks nice... I still feel slightly upset about the fact that they didn't have space for me by the time the ridiculously slow modern languages deparment was finished with my application.... but nevermind... I'm sure I'll love Mary's just as much!
Reply 67
Taemon
I've watched that video so many times, but I've never noticed that before! You seem to flap the arms of the corkscrew up and down in the hope that perhaps the cork will be nice enough to come out of its own accord...

Ah... John's looks nice... I still feel slightly upset about the fact that they didn't have space for me by the time the ridiculously slow modern languages deparment was finished with my application.... but nevermind... I'm sure I'll love Mary's just as much!

hahaha :biggrin: omg we couldnt believe how stupid we were, the one time they decide to film a formal, we're all scruffy and sitting right in front of the camera, and getting the cork stuck in the bottle (i blame the shoddy quality of wine and corkscrew... definitely).

also i would like to apologise for the RANDOM editing at the start, that makes the girl look like she's laughing hysterically at nothing. i don't know why that happened, but it distresses me every time. especially because the girl is not that mental. lol.

i'm sorry there wasn't room for you :frown: but mary's is lovely too, and generally people end up loving wherever they end up :smile: and you can come and visit john's anytime! hehe.
Haha, I'd forgotten that my housemate's boyfriend is on the John's video (he's right at the end, looking all pious in the chapel).

The Grey video is embarrassingly bad :frown:
Reply 69
bravenewcentury
Haha, I'd forgotten that my housemate's boyfriend is on the John's video (he's right at the end, looking all pious in the chapel).

The Grey video is embarrassingly bad :frown:

what, james menzies?
he's my dad :biggrin:
sidekick
what, james menzies?
he's my dad :biggrin:

Aww! James is great. If also mad.
Reply 71
bravenewcentury
Aww! James is great. If also mad.

yeah... he couldnt remember my name at all, ever. but he remembered what alevels i did. bless him.
didn't know you lived with georgie, that's cool :smile:
sidekick
yeah... he couldnt remember my name at all, ever. but he remembered what alevels i did. bless him.
didn't know you lived with georgie, that's cool :smile:

He always thinks I'm a vegetarian (apparently this is because all girls with opinions are vegetarians...). And yep, as from a few weeks from now I'll be living in a very theological house, with Georgie and Wills Wilson and Emtage, if you know either of them!
Reply 73
bravenewcentury
He always thinks I'm a vegetarian (apparently this is because all girls with opinions are vegetarians...). And yep, as from a few weeks from now I'll be living in a very theological house, with Georgie and Wills Wilson and Emtage, if you know either of them!

i do, know all of them! very theological house indeed, i can imagine it being quite a house of debate :biggrin:

(sorry to have somewhat hijacked the thread btw)
Reply 74
Reply 75
jobo3

i know :biggrin: ive just watched it. most amusing.

i also enjoyed the stephenson one - like, oh yeah, we don't need traditions, we make our own traditions, we're well modern... teehee.
I was wondeirng which college is the best for the social scene and night life? As well as this is it otherwise a good college?
thanks
David_dafrica
I was wondeirng which college is the best for the social scene and night life? As well as this is it otherwise a good college?
thanks

Hard to say really, they'll all have a social life there. Firstly, what is your idea of a social life?

If your idea is formals and so on, then I would say Castle, as it has lots of them. One or two others (Hatfield?) also have a lot.

If it's drinking in a bar, Cuth's generally wins there, and it's seen as a bit of a crazy college. Biased though :wink:

Quite a few colleges have been called the "party college" since I've looked at Durham stuff - Cuth's, Aidan's, Hild Bede.. all in their own ways.

You'll find sociable (and dull) people at every college, though. Some colleges are said to be more reserved (Trevelyan perhaps) than others, but I don't think makes them boring.
Reply 78
There is no "best college for social life".

All colleges have social events which are equally as good as each other.

You will make plenty of friends in whatever college you go to.

In addition to this, you will make friends through your subject from other colleges meaning you can go to their social events too.

Also, Trevs is the best.
Reply 79
MyNameIsDave

Quite a few colleges have been called the "party college" since I've looked at Durham stuff - Cuth's, Aidan's, Hild Bede.. all in their own ways.

Jesus christ....who said Aidan's was a party college?? That's very much a lie! Their bar can accommodate approximately 30 people for one thing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending