Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Big 'Recommend Me A College' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Hi, I'm kind of stuck thinking of what college to apply to
I like the sound of St Cuth's but would like to be on the bailey and catered and I've heard not many people actually live on the bailey campus for St Cuth's so would it be claustrophobic?

Would someone be able to tell me about St Cuth's vs St Mary's because that's what I'm deciding between?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Hi, I already study at Durham Uni (on QC - Stevo) but I'm reapplying to study Sociology which means new college on the main campus! I was told the hill colleges are 25 mins away from Socio dptmt so not really considering them.. I'm not really interested in the very traditional ones like Hatfiled, Castle, St.John's either. I'm looking for a big one that's not too far from lectures, not too traditional and so I've had Cuth's and Hild Bede in mind- not sure which though? Is Hild Bede more isolated because its far from the others? And it says Cuth's has two sites, bit confused by that?
If anyone has some advice that would be great. :smile:
Original post by meganowen1
Stephenson or John Snow at Queen's Campus??

The main difference is Stevo is closer to lectures and John Snow have to wear gowns. Personally think the stevo bar is way better than the John Snow one. John Snow has a Sainsbury's near by but its absolutely tiny

Whatever appeals to you more form that I suppose..
I'm applying for Law. Visited Collingwood and Trevs and didn't really like either - especially not Collingwood. St Marys seemed a lot nicer to me, and Hild and Bede also looks nice but I didn't visit. Can anyone tell me the main differences between the two? Also am I right in thinking that sports and societies are organised through your college? I row and would really like to go somewhere where I can keep that up. Thanks!
Reply 1384
Original post by em42
Hi, I'm wanting to study geography at Durham and I would like to go with catered accommodation as well as having the formal dinner side of the college. Any ideas?

I've applied for that course at Chads, it was between Johns and Chad's for me, though Mary's looks so nice I just prefer being near the cathedral!
I went for Chad's over johns mainly because John's JCR was slightly awful (sorry!) and I prefer the dining and courtyard at Chad's, but both are very similar!

Less chance of sharing a room at John's if you're bothered about that sort of thing.
is sport a really big thing for st johns? i really like everything else about it, but i'm just not a sporty person
Collingwood is usually known as the sporty college, but I've been here for a month and found a bunch of not-at-all-sporty people. Only difference is that you have more choices with the college level sports that in other colleges. So long story short, I don't think it really makes any difference how sporty the college is. Maybe you can try looking for the college that offers the societies you are interested in instead?
Hiya if anyone could suggest any colleges and why that would be great, or even rule out any colleges.

I'm applying to study mathematics at Durham and I'm unsure about which college to choose. I'm not too bothered about the college being very formal but wouldn't mind if it was. I would prefer it to be somewhere near the mathematics site and the sports centres as I play Football and Netball. I would like catered accommodation with preferably decent food and a decent sized room - not shared. Other details which may not matter to the colleges are I'm more outgoing than quiet, not too bothered about historic or modern buildings as long as it looks decent, and a gym would be great. I'm also going to need a job whilst I'm here.

Thanks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Best college for studying Politics, preferably a single room, catered and good sport facilities...
Original post by craiggreg
Best college for studying Politics, preferably a single room, catered and good sport facilities...

Mary's might be a good one to look at - it's the closest to the Politics building, catered and with good sports facilities. Though there is a chance you may have to share a room for a term. Collingwood has fewer shared rooms and also fits everything else you're after, though it's a little further away (not much, admittedly!)
Original post by 246297
Hi, I already study at Durham Uni (on QC - Stevo) but I'm reapplying to study Sociology which means new college on the main campus! I was told the hill colleges are 25 mins away from Socio dptmt so not really considering them.. I'm not really interested in the very traditional ones like Hatfiled, Castle, St.John's either. I'm looking for a big one that's not too far from lectures, not too traditional and so I've had Cuth's and Hild Bede in mind- not sure which though? Is Hild Bede more isolated because its far from the others? And it says Cuth's has two sites, bit confused by that?
If anyone has some advice that would be great. :smile:

Hild Bede isn't that much more isolated from the others. It's about a 10 minute walk from the bailey and 7 minutes from Elvet which is where humanities lectures are mostly held. Hild Bede isn't particularly traditional (we don't wear gowns to formals) and also I think the second largest college.
Cuth's might have accommodation or other college buildings at two separate sites, as many colleges do :smile:
I've applied for Johns, I wouldn't mind any of the other bailey colleges, but I'm waiting until 1st March (when college choice is confirmed) to firm Durham! I don't want to end up at the Hill colleges as they're not the best.
Reply 1392
Hi, I thought it'd be fun to be recommended a college! International postgrad applying for Philosophy. I just really want to be close to the Philosophy building... A peaceful place would be nice. :smile:
I'm starting my Masters next year and have narrowed my college choices to St Mary's, St Chad's, St John's and Collingwood.

Could someone let me know their opinion on those colleges? I would ideally want a sporty college close to the business school in which postgrads live in the same area as undergrads, and hopefully is fully catered with good facilities (gym/bar/study hall).

Thanks!
Any thoughts on Collingwood? I was allocated it today, I was hoping for a bit more of a traditional college and this seems to be the total opposite end of the spectrum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1395
Original post by davidjoness
Any thoughts on Collingwood? I was allocated it today, I was hoping for a bit more of a traditional college and this seems to be the total opposite end of the spectrum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I'm in the exact same situation! I was allocated collingwood but I applied for a much more traditional college which would suit me more, so disappointed with the allocation
Original post by jonnn
Hi, I thought it'd be fun to be recommended a college! International postgrad applying for Philosophy. I just really want to be close to the Philosophy building... A peaceful place would be nice. :smile:

Hi! International PG here too! :biggrin: Preference of Self-catered or Fully- catered?
Reply 1397
I would suggest self-catered. I am postgraduate in Van Mildert, which is fully-catered and it was the worst choice I could ever do. The food is horrible! We ask each other what is eatable each day. You need to pay a lot of money in order to have really bad food. In addition, they do not give enough. They may chase you if you take an apple more (really! A rude lady chased me because I took 3!).

Do not choose Van Mildert! I do not suggest it for PG students.
Original post by EleS
I would suggest self-catered. I am postgraduate in Van Mildert, which is fully-catered and it was the worst choice I could ever do. The food is horrible! We ask each other what is eatable each day. You need to pay a lot of money in order to have really bad food. In addition, they do not give enough. They may chase you if you take an apple more (really! A rude lady chased me because I took 3!).

Do not choose Van Mildert! I do not suggest it for PG students.

:K: Oh wow....Thanks for the insight. Fully catered is really costly and I don't think I can stomach western style food 3 meals everyday in the long term (being bought up in Asia) I feel sorry for your experience and really, thank you for letting us know....

I believe most PG stayed in Ustinov, but I am a bit hesitant about it considering the distance from dorm to market. What do you think about St Cuth's in Parson Field? ( Thinking of putting it as my first choice.)
Hi, I'm an international MSc Marketing offer holder. Most of my lectures will be at Ushaw college (and the remaining few at Business School). I only care about the distance and the accommodation. Which college would you suggest?

Quick Reply

Latest