The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Big 'Recommend Me A College' Thread

Originally posted 21/08/2012

Right, on this forum we're constantly being asked by people to recommend them a college, since even with the huge amount of information available on the FAQ, wiki, Durham University website, and whole rest of the internet, it's still not the same as getting up-to-date information straight from current students.

So if you want to ask about colleges, this is the place! I'll also be merging similar threads into here to tidy up the forum.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hi i am thinking of applying to durham and am just filling in the Apply section of ucas only i dont have a clue which college to put down

if i put one down now and send off my form am i stuck with that one or can i change my mind later on? also can ppl recommend any particular one? id like it to be friendly, laid back, with lots to do, good location etc. - oh yeah am gonna apply to do physics if tht has any influence

any advice would be appreciated - thx guys!!!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Cuth's :smile:
I'm also applying for physics, did an [o] application though, which I heard they dont like!
Reply 4
Everyone says their own college is the best, but they're deluding themselves. Really, it's Castle.
louise001
hi i am thinking of applying to durham and am just filling in the Apply section of ucas only i dont have a clue which college to put down

if i put one down now and send off my form am i stuck with that one or can i change my mind later on? also can ppl recommend any particular one? id like it to be friendly, laid back, with lots to do, good location etc. - oh yeah am gonna apply to do physics if tht has any influence

any advice would be appreciated - thx guys!!!

If you are going for physics you are going to want a Hill College, unless you fancy a long trek to your lectures. Asides that, you may as well make a random choice, unless there is something particular you are looking for.
Reply 6
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
If you are going for physics you are going to want a Hill College, unless you fancy a long trek to your lectures. Asides that, you may as well make a random choice, unless there is something particular you are looking for.

It's not really a long trek. It's 10 mins MAX from the bailey or 15 mins from Hild Bede, IMO.
ChrisRH
I'm also applying for physics, did an [o] application though, which I heard they dont like!

you heard wrong, the department couldn't care less
everyone is going to say there own college, the best way to find out is to come and visit, you can see for yourself then.
Reply 9
Itchynscratchy
everyone is going to say there own college, the best way to find out is to come and visit, you can see for yourself then.

Other than the basic spelling mistake (highlighted), I agree 120% with the above statement :wink:

The factors you have given us (friendly, laid back, with lots to do, good location) apply to every single college in Durham. You really should have a good read over the prospectus, narrow it down to 2 or 3 colleges and then ask us again. Or look at the FAQ thread and there is some more information in there. Also check out the Durham website as there is lots of information on there too!

But as others are saying, we will all vouch for our own college as being the best college so don't listen to us. Choose Trevelyan (you can listen to me:biggrin:)
In fairness, the error was more grammar than spelling. I am a physicist, I stopped needing to write english several years ago.
Becca
It's not really a long trek. It's 10 mins MAX from the bailey or 15 mins from Hild Bede, IMO.

15 mins is quite a way to go for lunch, especially as its there and back again. Plus if you have an hour gap between lectures, its not like you can walk back to college. A hill college is a better choice location wise.
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
15 mins is quite a way to go for lunch, especially as its there and back again. Plus if you have an hour gap between lectures, its not like you can walk back to college. A hill college is a better choice location wise.

Well, of course it is but it really isn't so far away that an scientist should automatically choose a hill college. I lived in Claypath for two years, which is roughly 20 mins walk away from my lectures and managed just fine.
Reply 13
Cuth's mainly because you are close to town so after some good lashing on a night out, you won't have a long way home. Also close to the science site (if you're on the bailey)
Actually, every college at Durham is full of extremely uptight people who will not say hello to you and just sit around doing nothing all day. They are all located in the centre of a landfill. Also people studying physics are routinely burned at the stake for amusement. In fact, "University of Durham" is a name derived from Old English, with "university" meaning "angry murderous cult" and "Durham" meaning "physicist haters".

Except Josephine Butler.
Itchynscratchy
Well, of course it is but it really isn't so far away that an scientist should automatically choose a hill college. I lived in Claypath for two years, which is roughly 20 mins walk away from my lectures and managed just fine.

It is perfectly manageable, i would agree with you there. It isnt particuarly enjoyable though, unless you like walking, and the OP did ask for a good location.
generic hybrid
Actually, every college at Durham is full of extremely uptight people who will not say hello to you and just sit around doing nothing all day. They are all located in the centre of a landfill. Also people studying physics are routinely burned at the stake for amusement. In fact, "University of Durham" is a name derived from Old English, with "university" meaning "angry murderous cult" and "Durham" meaning "physicist haters".

Except Josephine Butler.

:laugh:
What you didnt mention there is in Butler you dont have food... :P
Reply 17
AhorrentlyPretentious
I've applied to Castle but apparently I'm more a Hilde Bede kind o' gal.

Horses for courses, innit? Read the prospectus to find out a bit about each college then choose the one that appeals most. Don't base it on whether an internet stranger likes it!

There's nothing wrong with basing it on whether an internet stranger likes it, as long as that stranger is not or has never been a Durham student :wink:
Reply 18
AhorrentlyPretentious
So you think it is sensible to base a potentially life changing decision (particularly for the duration of the course) on what an utter stranger thinks? If so, I better not tell you to go and play in the traffic. :wink:

Clearly you are new to this forum and hence don't understand the joke - I was referring to the fact that if you ask anyone who is or has been a Durham student which is the best college then the only thing they will tell you is the college that they went to. 99% of the time this will be true anyway! And so I was implying that it would be better to ask a complete stranger than someone who's actually at Durham :smile:
dobbs
Clearly you are new to this forum and hence don't understand the joke - I was referring to the fact that if you ask anyone who is or has been a Durham student which is the best college then the only thing they will tell you is the college that they went to. 99% of the time this will be true anyway! And so I was implying that it would be better to ask a complete stranger than someone who's actually at Durham :smile:

I suppose it depends if they want you at their college or not :p:

Quick Reply

Latest