The Student Room Group

St George's University Medicine Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by HaQ_mAn_
Thanks for dat bro (sis?) :smile:

I think i'm gonna apply here,
not too worried about interview, i'm a pretty confident speaker, just need to prepare to make sure a question doesn't throw me

Haha it's sis :smile: go for it! And if you want any help/ advice for the interview later on let me know. The MMI wasn't nearly as bad as I feared!
Reply 21
Original post by Pembilton
Haha it's sis :smile: go for it! And if you want any help/ advice for the interview later on let me know. The MMI wasn't nearly as bad as I feared!

sorry wats MMI?

and thank you i mite do that x
Reply 22
sorry wats MMI?

and thank you i mite do that x

It stands for Multi Mini Interviews and is how SGUL interviews candidates. It's quite different from the sit down in front of a panel and answer some question for 15 mins that the other unis use. There's more info on the SGUL website here:
http://www.sgul.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/mbbs5/after-youve-applied/interviews

And I'm happy to share my experiences if anyone's interested.
Reply 23
It stands for Multi Mini Interviews and is how SGUL interviews candidates. It's quite different from the sit down in front of a panel and answer some question for 15 mins that the other unis use. There's more info on the SGUL website here:
http://www.sgul.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/mbbs5/after-youve-applied/interviews

And I'm happy to share my experiences if anyone's interested.

Wow this actually looks fun lol. wat kind of tasks did u get?
Aah yes
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi
I have just looked on the St Georges NHS website which hospitals do the medical students go to during their training please? Are they the trust only or others in London.

AND what accomodation is offered etc

Thanks v much.
Reply 26
Original post by yorkshire.lad
You seem knowledgeable on this university. Could you please answer a few of my questions?

GCSE's: 5A*'s 4A's 1C
AS: AABB - Was a B in chemistry at 239 UMS but got a remark done and I am now at an A. I was ABBB. I think I still may have to put ABBB down on the UCAS - need to talk to exams officer about this (So assume it is ABBB) The really annoying thing was i was a maximum of 4 UMS out from an A on all the B's :frown:
Predicted: A*AA
UKCAT: 662.5

DofE Bronze, Silver, Gold. 1 year in care home, 6 months school, 6 months saturday school, 1 week vitalise, a few other bits and bobs (member of jogging club, amateur bodybuilder etc)

My AS were notably poor due to bad time management in the first year and most likely due to my complacency from having good GCSE's. But I will be working extra hard to pull them up this year. Do I have a good chance of an interview

Hi :smile: I'll try as best I can, but I'm not that knowledgeable, I just know what I found from my experiences last year. As I posted previously, St George's are more concerned with UKCAT (cut off was 625 last year so you should be fine) and your predicted grades. If your school is anything like mine which predicts the grade above in most cases, you should easily be predicted the necessary 3As and the other B at AS level you have already got. This coupled with good work experience will hopefully be enough to get you that interview.

My ASs were disappointing compared to my GCSEs too, but with that extra hard work you will be able to pull them up to those magical A/A*s :smile:

Good luck!
Hi :smile: I'll try as best I can, but I'm not that knowledgeable, I just know what I found from my experiences last year. As I posted previously, St George's are more concerned with UKCAT (cut off was 625 last year so you should be fine) and your predicted grades. If your school is anything like mine which predicts the grade above in most cases, you should easily be predicted the necessary 3As and the other B at AS level you have already got. This coupled with good work experience will hopefully be enough to get you that interview.

My ASs were disappointing compared to my GCSEs too, but with that extra hard work you will be able to pull them up to those magical A/A*s :smile:

Good luck!

Thanks, Sheffield is going to be my first choice, with SG being my second.
Reply 28
Wow this actually looks fun lol. wat kind of tasks did u get?

To be honest, mine wasn't actually that "fun" as most of my interview was with situation-based questions rather than the sort of tasks listed on their website. I did have a role play where I had to break bad news to someone on their wedding day, but because I smile when I'm nervous the 'actor' got really angry at me!

The weird thing about the interview is that other than repeating the question, the interviewer wont say anything else or help you at all. I remember I had an awful question about the NHS and the first 2 minutes was really awkward because I didn't have a clue what to say and so made the guy repeat the question 4 times! Also I found myself rambling on another question about research when I realised I didn't have five minutes worth of information about stem cells. I just wanted to avoid the awkward silence!
Reply 29
Thanks, Sheffield is going to be my first choice, with SG being my second.

Good choices :smile: Hopefully I'll survive my first year at Sheffield and see you there next year!
Good choices :smile: Hopefully I'll survive my first year at Sheffield and see you there next year!

Cheers haha! I have a couple of mates that got accepted for sheffield this year round, hoping to see them there next year. What kind of grades etc did you get if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 31
Cheers haha! I have a couple of mates that got accepted for sheffield this year round, hoping to see them there next year. What kind of grades etc did you get if you don't mind me asking?

Ah cool :smile:
And yeah sure my grades were:
GCSEs: 10 A*s and 1 A
AS Grades: 3 As (Bio/Maths/RS) and 2 Bs (Chem/Physics)
UKCAT: 740 av.
A2 Results: 1 A* (Bio), 2 As (Chem/RS) and 1 B (Maths)
Ah cool :smile:
And yeah sure my grades were:
GCSEs: 10 A*s and 1 A
AS Grades: 3 As (Bio/Maths/RS) and 2 Bs (Chem/Physics)
UKCAT: 740 av.
A2 Results: 1 A* (Bio), 2 As (Chem/RS) and 1 B (Maths)

A lot better than my grades! Need to make sure my PS really shines.
hey just wondered if I have a chance at SGUL
For my GCSEs i would score 446
AS results: AAAB (B in chem but 4 ums off an A)
UKCAT: 637.5 is this too close to the cut off?
work exp: week in neuro, week in paeds and child health labs, 18 months as young leader at brownies, 2 summers at the hospice volunteering 1 day a week
Also got bronze and silver dofe, grade 5 saxophone, member of various bands, member of athletics and trampolining club
Also I took my GCSEs under extenuating circumstances so they aren't as good as they could have been.
Reply 34
I am aware that SGUL use a points system to score you for your academics.
According to that I will get 464 for my GCSE's.
However for your A-Levels, do the points system score you based on your AS's, or your A2 predictions?? :biggrin:
Reply 35
Hi I'd just like to ask what do St George's look for the most when it come down to interview/offer? I'm a bit confused. Do they use GCSE/UKCAT to be called for interview? And how is the offer based? Does it include UKCAT/GCSE in addition to interview score. And what about personal statement and work exp. Are they strict with these?

Thanks.
Original post by Thil29
Hi I'd just like to ask what do St George's look for the most when it come down to interview/offer? I'm a bit confused. Do they use GCSE/UKCAT to be called for interview? And how is the offer based? Does it include UKCAT/GCSE in addition to interview score. And what about personal statement and work exp. Are they strict with these?

Thanks.

Need to be above the UKCAT cut off for the year (last year it was 625 average)
You have to have an average of A across your 8 best GCSE's inc maths/eng/sci
Need to be predicted AAA/b in A2/AS

Then everyone is invited for interview, you are given a score based on your performance in the MMI, then if you are satisfactory you are given an offer. Georges only seem to read the personal statement to check for mitigating circumstances after the interview (read: dont use it in selection)

Source: admissions tutor
Reply 37
Original post by AtomicMan
Need to be above the UKCAT cut off for the year (last year it was 625 average)
You have to have an average of A across your 8 best GCSE's inc maths/eng/sci
Need to be predicted AAA/b in A2/AS

Then everyone is invited for interview, you are given a score based on your performance in the MMI, then if you are satisfactory you are given an offer. Georges only seem to read the personal statement to check for mitigating circumstances after the interview (read: dont use it in selection)

Source: admissions tutor

So does that mean SGUL interview everyone that meets their entry requirements (i.e. UKCAT and GCSE threshold, A levels..)?
Original post by Topcat94
So does that mean SGUL interview everyone that meets their entry requirements (i.e. UKCAT and GCSE threshold, A levels..)?

yes
Reply 39
Well that sure is a lot of people for interview I'd assume.

I'm just a bit unsure about my GCSE's. I got 2 A* in Maths and Business, 4A in Chem, Bio, Physics and Art, 2 B's in English Lit and English Lang.
According to the scoring system that is 58+58+52+52+52+52+46+46 = 416.
I got 416 points just, does this mean I'll be through? I just want to make sure because I got B's in English and I'm not just whether that will affect the average grade across my top 8 GCSE's

Quick Reply

Latest