The Student Room Group

St George's University Medicine Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

I am not the expert at all and in a similar boat to you I got ABBB in my ASBio/chem/maths/physics but if your school will predict you AAA then most unis look at A2 I have checked with two this is the case. Not sure re UKCAT Bristol focus on PS and A2 predictions ....sounds like I know what I am talking about but thats my take on it. Good luck.
Reply 61
ahh okay:smile: thankyou!!

Yeah SGUL got really low on the Guardian's list so I'm a bit unsure as to whether to apply now :frown: Student satisfaction and teaching didn't fair too well from what I remember :frown:
Reply 62
i know you guys are probably tired of people asking "am i good enough to get in" but i'm gonna ask anyway :P my gcse's are 4A*s 7As, my AS grades are...
chem-B
French-A
Maths-B
Biology-A
however i am predicted 3A's in bio, chem and maths. I did my ukcat today and it was not good, 2450 (612.5 average) D: I have lots of work experience, i've been to 3-4 hospitals each for 2 weeks and i've volunteered at a care home for a year. My personal statement is pretty good (according to my tutor and other teachers) and i have a decent reference. I know my ukcat lets me down but do you reckon its worth me applying or would i get rejected straight away? any help would be much appreciated!
Reply 63
Original post by maazmania
i know you guys are probably tired of people asking "am i good enough to get in" but i'm gonna ask anyway :P my gcse's are 4A*s 7As, my AS grades are...
chem-B
French-A
Maths-B
Biology-A
however i am predicted 3A's in bio, chem and maths. I did my ukcat today and it was not good, 2450 (612.5 average) D: I have lots of work experience, i've been to 3-4 hospitals each for 2 weeks and i've volunteered at a care home for a year. My personal statement is pretty good (according to my tutor and other teachers) and i have a decent reference. I know my ukcat lets me down but do you reckon its worth me applying or would i get rejected straight away? any help would be much appreciated!

I think as long as you have got over 500 in each section of the UKCAT, you should be fine.
Reply 64
are you sure? do you know what the cut off was last year? thanks for the help! :smile:
Reply 65
does anyone know specifically what each station in the MMI is or tests ?
are you sure? do you know what the cut off was last year? thanks for the help! :smile:

625 last year I think :smile:
Reply 67
yeah mine was 612.5 (really bad i know) so i won't meet the cut off will i?
yeah mine was 612.5 (really bad i know) so i won't meet the cut off will i?

Well the cut off could go down, bit its unlikely so it may be risky- sorry :frown: but chin up, it's above average! Still meets the cut off for most places :smile:
Reply 69
haha only just, its annoying because in the practice tests i got from kaplan i was getting an average of high 600's and 700! oh well there's always next year :smile: thanks for your help though :biggrin:
haha only just, its annoying because in the practice tests i got from kaplan i was getting an average of high 600's and 700! oh well there's always next year :smile: thanks for your help though :biggrin:

I was the same actually, got lower than my mocks, and was especially annoyed since all my friends before the exam were like 'don't worry, you're doing well on the mocks and EVERYONE does better in the real thing' -_-
Reply 71
Original post by TaraBelle
I was the same actually, got lower than my mocks, and was especially annoyed since all my friends before the exam were like 'don't worry, you're doing well on the mocks and EVERYONE does better in the real thing' -_-

haha i was told that too! anyway i hope you get in and once again cheers for the help! :smile:
haha i was told that too! anyway i hope you get in and once again cheers for the help! :smile:

No worries, good luck to you too!
Reply 73
Original post by Pembilton
To be honest, mine wasn't actually that "fun" as most of my interview was with situation-based questions rather than the sort of tasks listed on their website. I did have a role play where I had to break bad news to someone on their wedding day, but because I smile when I'm nervous the 'actor' got really angry at me!

The weird thing about the interview is that other than repeating the question, the interviewer wont say anything else or help you at all. I remember I had an awful question about the NHS and the first 2 minutes was really awkward because I didn't have a clue what to say and so made the guy repeat the question 4 times! Also I found myself rambling on another question about research when I realised I didn't have five minutes worth of information about stem cells. I just wanted to avoid the awkward silence!

so did u feel u did badly? can't have been that bad if the accepted you :smile:
Reply 74
Hi wonder if anyone can help. Currently in gap year and wanting to apply to St. Georges for medicine

Stats: GCSE - 7A*, 3A
AS - AAAb
A2 [achieved] - AAA, Biology, Chemistry, History

eight weeks shadowing doctors in hospital
One week GP Practice
Couple of hours over weekends volunteering in care home
Gap year - working in admin in a London hospital

Will be sitting UKCAT next week
Is this ok for St Georges
Thanks
Reply 75
Do St. Georges give you an offer which is the same as your predicted grades?

Also how many applicants do they have? How many do they interview? and how many places and offers?
Reply 76
Original post by MrAli786

Also how many applicants do they have? How many do they interview? and how many places and offers?

No, they generally give an AAA offer.

I'm not exactly sure of the competition ratio's but it's surprisingly competitive, as a lot of people who apply get called to interview. The interview format is MMI too, which may not appeal to some. :smile:
Original post by MrAli786

I remember them saying that around 30% of people got offers for the last cycle who were interviewed. They gave around 300 offers for ~185 places IIRC
Reply 78
hey guys,
so i have
7A* and 2As and distinction*'s ( which app are worth 4A*s :s)
AS:ABBD
A2:A*A*AB
UKCAT:617.5 (messed up but all sections are over 500 -- lowest is VR:560)
Do i have a chance here???
Original post by Pheno_N
hey guys,
so i have
7A* and 2As and distinction*'s ( which app are worth 4A*s :s)
AS:ABBD
A2:A*A*AB
UKCAT:617.5 (messed up but all sections are over 500 -- lowest is VR:560)
Do i have a chance here???

last years cut off was 625 for the UKCAT. I think georges also want a B in the 4th AS. You chances seem slim I'm afraid :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending