The Student Room Group

Is maths degree suitable for me?

I'm interested in doing maths, and I really really enjoy A-level Maths and Further Maths, so I self-studied all 12 units and got A*s in both subjects. I'm planning to apply for maths degree for 2013 entry, but I always hear that undergraduate maths is very different from A-level Maths in the sense that there're lots of proofs. But I really enjoy the computational aspect of maths more than proof, so I kind of struggle. I've just started reading A Concise Introduction to Pure Mathematics, and I was really surprised by the all the proofs presented, such as proving root 2 is irrational, the square of an odd integer is odd etc. I mean, I've no idea of how to prove those before I read the solution, and I've never thought of proving them like what is presented in the solution. Is this normal? Or is it an indicator that I'm not the kind of person who can cope with maths degree?

One final question: is maths degree more about hard work or in-born intellegence? I'm ready for hard work but I'm afraid I don't have sufficient ability for a maths degree.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 0o____o0
I'm interested in doing maths, and I really really enjoy A-level Maths and Further Maths, so I self-studied all 12 units and got A*s in both subjects. I'm planning to apply for maths degree for 2013 entry, but I always hear that undergraduate maths is very different from A-level Maths in the sense that there're lots of proofs. But I really enjoy the computational aspect of maths more than proof, so I kind of struggle. I've just started reading A Concise Introduction to Pure Mathematics, and I was really surprised by the all the proofs presented, such as proving root 2 is irrational, the square of an odd integer is odd etc. I mean, I've no idea of how to prove those before I read the solution, and I've never thought of proving them like what is presented in the solution. Is this normal? Or is it an indicator that I'm not the kind of person who can cope with maths degree?

One final question: is maths degree more about hard work or in-born intellegence? I'm ready for hard work but I'm afraid I don't have sufficient ability for a maths degree.

Of course that's normal - very rarely does someone know how to prove these things until they've seen similar examples of each kind of standard proof and practiced each of them. You can't expect to do something like proof solely out of 'ability' - especially if A Concise Introduction is your first foray into proofs.

I hear it's more about hard work for the most part. There are some special people who will demolish their degree due to their natural intelligence but for most it's down to a bit of natural intelligence (which you clearly have from the A*s) and a lot of hard work :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by hassi94
Of course that's normal - very rarely does someone know how to prove these things until they've seen similar examples of each kind of standard proof and practiced each of them. You can't expect to do something like proof solely out of 'ability' - especially if A Concise Introduction is your first foray into proofs.

I hear it's more about hard work for the most part. There are some special people who will demolish their degree due to their natural intelligence but for most it's down to a bit of natural intelligence (which you clearly have from the A*s) and a lot of hard work :smile:

Thank you very much for your advice =) I now have more confidence to do a maths degree! Any ideas on Imperial maths course? I've heard that many people who did well in A-level maths struggled with Imperial maths, is this course also about hard work more than natural intelligence?
Thank you very much for your advice =) I now have more confidence to do a maths degree! Any ideas on Imperial maths course? I've heard that many people who did well in A-level maths struggled with Imperial maths, is this course also about hard work more than natural intelligence?

People will always struggle, especially at the top universities for maths. Imperial does have a very low first and 2:1 rate I believe though, and someone I know who went there says you get very little support from staff and tutors. I hear you need to work very hard at the Imperial course. You need natural intelligence (with some rare exceptions where people battle their way though :tongue:) as I said but you need to consistently be putting the work in every week and making sure you don't fall behind. It is difficult but if it's what you want to study then it should be worth it. Don't let the difficulty scare you, your A-levels already place you high amongst people, you do have the ability - just need the hard work :smile:
Reply 4
have a read of this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d3wbsdo2ck4dqyb/MA132_lec_0_0_11.pdf

it is the first module of the Warwick maths course (it's one of the best unis for maths). As you can see, a lot of the stuff is not amazingly difficult, they are just taking simple problems and being very pedantic with regards to the maths.

EDIT: you self taught maths + further and got 2A*'s and you're worrying LOL. As Hassi said, it is more to do with hard work and determination. Have a read around the forums of peoples opinions with regards to maths degrees.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by hassi94
People will always struggle, especially at the top universities for maths. Imperial does have a very low first and 2:1 rate I believe though, and someone I know who went there says you get very little support from staff and tutors. I hear you need to work very hard at the Imperial course. You need natural intelligence (with some rare exceptions where people battle their way though :tongue:) as I said but you need to consistently be putting the work in every week and making sure you don't fall behind. It is difficult but if it's what you want to study then it should be worth it. Don't let the difficulty scare you, your A-levels already place you high amongst people, you do have the ability - just need the hard work :smile:

Thanks again :smile: I'm seriously thinking of applying there, and I'm ready for the hard work! ^^

Original post by Ilyas
have a read of this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d3wbsdo2ck4dqyb/MA132_lec_0_0_11.pdf

it is the first module of the Warwick maths course (it's one of the best unis for maths). As you can see, a lot of the stuff is not amazingly difficult, they are just taking simple problems and being very pedantic with regards to the maths.

EDIT: you self taught maths + further and got 2A*'s and you're worrying LOL. As Hassi said, it is more to do with hard work and determination. Have a read around the forums of peoples opinions with regards to maths degrees.

Thanks for the link. :smile: I'll definitely take time to read it!
I'm worrying because A-level maths content is highly computational, whilst from what I've heard, undergraduate maths is all about proofs and there's no much computational content. I'm worrying that good A-level maths results does not indicate that I can handle the proofs at undergraduate level...
Reply 6

Don't worry, you'll be fine. Everybody says A level maths is different in comparison to degree level maths. It is really the change in thinking and orientation at degree level that's different to A level maths. The focus is no longer computational but working things out from first principles with thoroughness. Once you've gone through first semester/first year your orientation would have changed. You will come across some material that over lap with the A level maths/f maths syllabus but again the approach will be from first principles with lots of proofs.

If you're that self motivated which you have demonstrated through self study, you should have very few problems at uni. Good luck!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I would suggest you look at different courses to see if they're more suited to your style, I get the feeling that maybe the hardcore pure root may not be for the OP (though if you really enjoy that aspect of maths feel free to ignore me!).

You see, I actually started on an Applied Maths degree because I like how maths can make models of reality and I enjoy physics. So I specifically looked for unis with a good reputation for applied, hence the fact I study at St Andrews. It's important the coursecovers something your interested in (I didn't apply to the more prestigious maths unis because they seemed to put a lot more emphasis on the pure side).

On a side note you'll be fine at uni! Your grades are amazing (especially considering you self-studied). The maths is really different but the problem solving is easy enough to pick up and if you're worried about it you could try looking for maths puzzles online or even playing puzzle games like Professor Layton (a couple of my tutorial questions in 1st and 2nd year were quite literally the same as some of the puzzles from Prof L so I promise it has relevance!).
Reply 8
I've just started reading A Concise Introduction to Pure Mathematics, and I was really surprised by the all the proofs presented, such as proving root 2 is irrational, the square of an odd integer is odd etc. I mean, I've no idea of how to prove those before I read the solution, and I've never thought of proving them like what is presented in the solution. Is this normal? Or is it an indicator that I'm not the kind of person who can cope with maths degree?

Pretty much no-one knows how to write a proper proof before uni, so I wouldn't worry too much. I mean, people get very hung up over proofs. We all have an intuition as to why things are true, and a proof is just a way of writing down that intuition in a way that other people will understand.
Reply 9

If anything, the amount of effort and reading around the subject that you've done is an indication that you're exactly the right kind of person to cope with a maths degree.

Usually, people won't have been exposed to too much proper proof during their A-levels (aside from things like inductive proofs) so don't worry if it seems a bit foreign at the moment. It is something that you will learn once you get there. Most universities have a module in the first term designed to get everyone up to the same stage. Often such modules focus on developing your mathematical thinking and writing, so don't worry if you don't even know where to begin proving the irrationality of root 2 right now! These are techniques which are typically learned post-A-level. The Liebeck book you mentioned is a good place to get a head start (in particular the chapters on sets, analysis, equivalence relations, functions and induction) as it covers a wide variety of topics.

Inevitably, they're are going to be a few really clever guys who can ace it without a great deal of work but these people are a significant minority. Those who worked hard at A-level will continue to do so to do well, and I reckon those who didn't work so hard then will reach a point in the degree when they have to work quite hard to pick up the slack; no longer able to rely on native intelligence. I think I'm trying to say that you may be able to get away with minimal work for a while but eventually you'll have to knuckle down if you want a good degree classification. :tongue:

You will still have lectures on things like differential equations and the like, so you will still get to do some computational type maths at university - it doesn't have to all be proof!:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by around
Pretty much no-one knows how to write a proper proof before uni, so I wouldn't worry too much. I mean, people get very hung up over proofs. We all have an intuition as to why things are true, and a proof is just a way of writing down that intuition in a way that other people will understand.

prsom
Reply 11
OP you sound like an applied maths person to me. Do some research on applied maths courses. I think it would suit you better :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by hassi94
someone I know who went there says you get very little support from staff and tutors.

Omg I hear this so much about Imperial for all their courses not just maths. infact my tutors at UCL said it aswell. I thought they were just being hateful but every one of them independently and unanimously said the same thing when I mentioned applying there after leaving UCL.
But I really enjoy the computational aspect of maths more than proof, so I kind of struggle. .

If you dislike the idea of proving (justifying) things, then maths is not for you. Even applied maths requires proof. Having said that, what I have described is not the same as struggling with proof. Everyone struggles with proof in the way that you have described.
Reply 14
If you got A* in Maths and FM, you will be fine.

There is nothing in the world which requires 'inbuilt intelligence' to complete, it only makes things quicker. If you put hard work in you will succeed.

FYI, doing maths degree :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by pappymajek
Don't worry, you'll be fine. Everybody says A level maths is different in comparison to degree level maths. It is really the change in thinking and orientation at degree level that's different to A level maths. The focus is no longer computational but working things out from first principles with thoroughness. Once you've gone through first semester/first year your orientation would have changed. You will come across some material that over lap with the A level maths/f maths syllabus but again the approach will be from first principles with lots of proofs.

If you're that self motivated which you have demonstrated through self study, you should have very few problems at uni. Good luck!

Thanks a lot :smile: So it wont be a big jump from a-level, is that what you mean?

Original post by monkyvirus
I would suggest you look at different courses to see if they're more suited to your style, I get the feeling that maybe the hardcore pure root may not be for the OP (though if you really enjoy that aspect of maths feel free to ignore me!).

You see, I actually started on an Applied Maths degree because I like how maths can make models of reality and I enjoy physics. So I specifically looked for unis with a good reputation for applied, hence the fact I study at St Andrews. It's important the coursecovers something your interested in (I didn't apply to the more prestigious maths unis because they seemed to put a lot more emphasis on the pure side).

On a side note you'll be fine at uni! Your grades are amazing (especially considering you self-studied). The maths is really different but the problem solving is easy enough to pick up and if you're worried about it you could try looking for maths puzzles online or even playing puzzle games like Professor Layton (a couple of my tutorial questions in 1st and 2nd year were quite literally the same as some of the puzzles from Prof L so I promise it has relevance!).

Compared to physics, I think I like pure maths more. I did search for some other course and it seems that Maths and Stat would be the best course for me, but I think you cannot escape from pure maths if you're studying a maths-related degree at least?

Thanks for your suggestion, will surely try that out :smile:

Original post by around

Yes exactly, especially when proving some basic stuff, everyone knows that root 2 is irrational, it's just like common sense for high school maths students, but I just don't know how to prove it until I read the solution.

Original post by 2^Oscar
If anything, the amount of effort and reading around the subject that you've done is an indication that you're exactly the right kind of person to cope with a maths degree.

Usually, people won't have been exposed to too much proper proof during their A-levels (aside from things like inductive proofs) so don't worry if it seems a bit foreign at the moment. It is something that you will learn once you get there. Most universities have a module in the first term designed to get everyone up to the same stage. Often such modules focus on developing your mathematical thinking and writing, so don't worry if you don't even know where to begin proving the irrationality of root 2 right now! These are techniques which are typically learned post-A-level. The Liebeck book you mentioned is a good place to get a head start (in particular the chapters on sets, analysis, equivalence relations, functions and induction) as it covers a wide variety of topics.

Inevitably, they're are going to be a few really clever guys who can ace it without a great deal of work but these people are a significant minority. Those who worked hard at A-level will continue to do so to do well, and I reckon those who didn't work so hard then will reach a point in the degree when they have to work quite hard to pick up the slack; no longer able to rely on native intelligence. I think I'm trying to say that you may be able to get away with minimal work for a while but eventually you'll have to knuckle down if you want a good degree classification. :tongue:

You will still have lectures on things like differential equations and the like, so you will still get to do some computational type maths at university - it doesn't have to all be proof!:smile:

Thanks, ya I read around the course content of several unis and I think differential equations and other parts of calculus suit me a lot :smile: No idea if I'll like analysis or not and don't know if I can cope with the very abstract linear algebra.

I'm definitely aiming for at least 2:1 because I heard that your future opportunities are rather limited without at least a 2:1...

Original post by Podcaster
OP you sound like an applied maths person to me. Do some research on applied maths courses. I think it would suit you better :smile:

I'm not really that into physics, but I think Maths and Stat will be quite good for me? Not really sure though, is statistics more computational? But I think I still have to some compulsory pure maths course even if I do applied maths/maths and stat anyway. Thanks for your advice :smile:

Omg I hear this so much about Imperial for all their courses not just maths. infact my tutors at UCL said it aswell. I thought they were just being hateful but every one of them independently and unanimously said the same thing when I mentioned applying there after leaving UCL.

No wonder Imperial has such a low score for student satisfaction in the league tables... So how's UCL's maths department/statistics department? Are the lecturers nice and do they teach well?

Original post by IrrationalNumber
If you dislike the idea of proving (justifying) things, then maths is not for you. Even applied maths requires proof. Having said that, what I have described is not the same as struggling with proof. Everyone struggles with proof in the way that you have described.

I think at this moment I'm still neutral to proving, but just that I cannot handle it properly at this moment. Hope I'll get better after reading 2~3 advanced maths books.

Original post by dem503
If you got A* in Maths and FM, you will be fine.

There is nothing in the world which requires 'inbuilt intelligence' to complete, it only makes things quicker. If you put hard work in you will succeed.

FYI, doing maths degree :tongue:

Thanks this is really encouraging :smile: I was just worrying that even if I worked very very hard, I still couldn't get satisfactory results.

The only problem is there are not that many applied maths courses at undergraduate level-certainly not at the top unis. The other option will be to look into joint courses.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 17

No wonder Imperial has such a low score for student satisfaction in the league tables... So how's UCL's maths department/statistics department? Are the lecturers nice and do they teach well?

I don't do maths but here are my thoughts on UCL maths department:

Poky and cramped at the top of the union building
Work is hard but not "Cambridge" hard (obviously)
Has a fair few Imperial rejects knocking about.
Generally heard positive things about the lecturers
All in all a department I would recommend so long as you don't mind a department in an attic.
Reply 18
Original post by pappymajek
The only problem is there are not that many applied maths courses at undergraduate level-certainly not at the top unis. The other option will be to look into joint courses.

Yes I agree, I don't see any applied maths courses at top unis like oxbridge, imperial, UCL, LSE etc. You're right, I'm considering Maths and Stat, I think statistics is more computational, is that true?

I don't do maths but here are my thoughts on UCL maths department:

Poky and cramped at the top of the union building
Work is hard but not "Cambridge" hard (obviously)
Has a fair few Imperial rejects knocking about.
Generally heard positive things about the lecturers
All in all a department I would recommend so long as you don't mind a department in an attic.

I thought UCL is a huge uni, how come maths department is in an attic lol Any ideas about the statistics department then? And do you think students will choose UCL maths over Imperial maths if they get into both? Coz I heard Imperial maths is soooooo difficult...probably "cambridge" hard?
Reply 19
Yes I agree, I don't see any applied maths courses at top unis like oxbridge, imperial, UCL, LSE etc. You're right, I'm considering Maths and Stat, I think statistics is more computational, is that true?
Most universities just offer straight maths courses, but you are able to specialise once you get there. Everyone will have to do a basic class in algebra/analysis/probability, but after that you will usually have a lot of choice in your modules and can pick more applied courses if you prefer.

Since you mentioned Imperial, their JMC (joint maths and computing) course might be of interest.

Quick Reply

Latest