The Student Room Group

Plymouth Medical School Applicants 2013

All,

A general thread for those who intend on applying to the Plymouth Medical School for either 2013 entry or 2014 deferred entry.

General Links:
TSR Medical Schools Index: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2077498
Course Stub: http://www1.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/BMBS/Pages/CourseOverview.aspx
University Stub: http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/ouruniversity
UCAS Profile (figures at the bottom): http://www.ucas.com/students/choosingcourses/choosinguni/instguide/p/p60

Entry Requirements (http://www1.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/BMBS/Pages/BMBS-Entry-Requirements.aspx):

A*AA/AAA from 3 GCE A levels, including Chemistry and one other science subject from Biology or Physics

4 subjects must be studied at AS level

If Biology is not offered at A level, it must be studied at AS level

General Studies is not included in any offer.

An EPQ will be considered in the place of a 4th AS.

Use of UKCAT (http://www1.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/BMBS/Pages/BMBS-Entry-Requirements.aspx):
Note that Plymouth are following the same admissions policy that Peninsula used for the 2012 cohort of applicants so: "You will be required to meet a minimum standard in each of the four subtests, plus meet an overall target score which is set and reviewed annually by the Admissions Advisory Panel."

These were: Overall - 2570 (average of 642.5), VR - 530, QR - 570, AR - 560 and DA - 570.

Use of Interviews (http://www1.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/BMBS/Pages/BMBS-Interview.aspx):
As per last year the primary deciding factor for an offer (providing you meet all other requirements) will be considered dependent on your performance at a structured interview.

It's also worth noting that they will accept further reference/letters from previous employers for example, if it benefits your application (even by a small margin) then I dont see why not.

Offers for interviews were sent out in letter form and were arriving on the weekend starting 16th November. This included forms and some basic information.

"The interview is a structured process of approximately twenty minutes, using a predetermined scoring system. This is to help ensure that candidates receive as close to an identical experience as possible. On each interview day candidates will attend an introductory talk giving further details about the interview process prior to completing pre-interview exercises.

Home/EU fee-paying interviewees will be asked to complete the following two pre-interview exercises, for which they have half an hour:
- Complete a written questionnaire, which aims to investigate a candidate’s commitment and motivation to study medicine or dentistry.
- Consider three scenarios, which centre upon contemporary ethical issues related to medicine or dentistry, and select one as the basis for their interview.

The respective Admissions Advisory Panel will consider interview results. Applicants may be classed as either:
- Offer recommended
- Offer not recommended

5.2.9 If an interviewee is classified ‘offer recommended’, s/he will be notified of a conditional offer, which will be subject to signing the Medical/Dental School Agreement and screening by the Staff Health & Wellbeing Service and the Criminal Records Bureau, as well as any academic conditions imposed. UCAS will also be informed."

From their technical manual for 2012 to 2013 entry. There ARE DIFFERENT criteria and activities for Home and International students.

Contact Information (http://www1.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/BMBS/Pages/How-To-Apply.aspx):
E-mail them at [email protected] with any queries, they're very helpful. Or! Follow the link above and scroll to the bottom of the page for telephone numbers etc.

Good luck to any applicants!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wondered when one of these would turn up.

Feel free to ask about any aspect of the course, location, teaching hospitals or social life. I am about to begin my first clinical year (3rd year) so I will be able to answer any of your questions. By the end of the course I will have spent time in both Exeter and Plymouth (and all the other peninsula localities as well) and have my clinical rotations in hospitals which will be used by Exeter Medical School and Plymouth Schools of Medicine and Dentistry.

Here is some information about the course.

About BMBS @ Plymouth/Exeter

BMBS Programme
•Fully integrated (100 per cent integrated)
•Community-based programme (25 - 49 per cent of curriculum)
•Problem-based (75 - 99 per cent of curriculum used for student-activating learning and teaching methods)

Number of years of the programme which include clinical training: 5
Clinical training is 75 - 99 per cent of the full programme

Number of years of the programme which include time with real patients: 5
Time with patients is 75 - 99 per cent of the full programme

BMBS Course Overview

Plymouth/Exeter (Peninsula) Medical School’s approach to medical education is both innovative and progressive, with a strong focus on independent learning and innovative teaching methods. Learning at Peninsula is primarily structured around fortnightly case units which underpin and springboard learning. Problem Based Learning (PBL) and Life Sciences Resource Centre (LSRC) sessions are the main tools which support the case units and facilitate learning. These are then integrated with clinical skills sessions, community placements and jigsaw sessions which help to develop clinical reasoning and functional medical knowledge.

Problem Based Learning

Problem Based Learning is a concept which has evolved a great deal since the 1980s when it was first introduced into UK Medical curriculum. It is now far more structured than it used to be.

The main misconception among applicants and some students is that PBL is a teaching method. This is not true.

- PBL is a tool used alongside other teaching methods to increase engagement with the content being learnt and enhance retention. It is not a stand alone tool. Even at the most PBL oriented schools (e.g - Manchester/PMS etc.) it only makes up less than 30% of teaching time, the rest is more traditional large and small group didactic and interactive teaching.

PBL as a Teaching Method?

PBL on its own is useless.

It cannot be a standalone method for knowledge acquisition/teaching at the Pre-clinical level. Therefore, now no medical course uses PBL on its own, it is always complimented with other teaching methods.

Even at medical schools which have a highly PBL-based curriculum (e.g Manchester, Peninsula, HYMS, UEA), it is not used on its own. A variety of other learning tools are also used in conjunction with PBL, i.e seminars, large group didactic teaching, small/large group interactive teaching and of course self-directed study.

Also the types of PBL used currently across the UK are a far cry from the original PBL models originally implemented. Originally PBL was intended to be a solely student oriented unstructured activity where students worked together through a series of clinical problems.

This is not the case now, PBL is now far more structured with clinicians facilitating the sessions, students are provided with a more structured study guide and a study guide/syllabus of the basic science content which should covered by lectures/seminars, tutorials and in self-study is available.

Is PBL and Advantage or a Disadvantage?

Within a format as described above and a well functioning group, PBL works fantastically well. Even within PBL groups which are awful with poor facilitation the other aspects of so called PBL-based courses provide a net to prevent a lack of learning.

The main disadvantage of PBL courses is that people can fall through the net, and easily get through (year 1 and 2) without learning a lot of the basics.

The Future of PBL?

This does not mean that PBL based courses are the way forward. However, the benefits PBL provides students in terms of team dynamics, adaptability, communications skills cannot be denied and not to mention the ability to find, select and use appropriate resources to acquire medical knowledge (pre-clinical and clinical) whilst evaluating the validity of those resources. (Wikipedia has its use but its is not an ideal resource and is rarely used as a standalone resource but merely a starting point)

For these reasons there has recently been an increase in structured small group learning across the majority of all UK medical schools, all you need to do is look at the new/updated course structures several medical schools have been implementing over the last few years. (UCL and Cardiff spring to mind)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Hey everyone. I'm just linking this to the Index as the official 2013 thread. Good luck guys! :h:
So this thread is pretty dead... Who's applying here?! Are most people applying to both Plymouth and Exeter or just 1?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
Original post by J1994D
So this thread is pretty dead... Who's applying here?! Are most people applying to both Plymouth and Exeter or just 1?

Both for me! Best chances so I would be stupid to not attempt them.
Original post by HarryMWilliams
Both for me! Best chances so I would be stupid to not attempt them.

Same :biggrin: I'm a gap year applicant so have the grades which is beneficial and above the ukcat thresholds :biggrin: how about you? Where else you applying?

Reply 6
Original post by J1994D
Same :biggrin: I'm a gap year applicant so have the grades which is beneficial and above the ukcat thresholds :biggrin: how about you? Where else you applying?

Southampton and Aberdeen. Aberdeen, I might get a badge for travelling the breadth of the country! :biggrin:

I meet the UKCAT cut-offs fairly well and they're the ones that ignore AS' so I'm happy. What did you get in the end if you dont mind me asking?
Southampton and Aberdeen. Aberdeen, I might get a badge for travelling the breadth of the country! :biggrin:

I meet the UKCAT cut-offs fairly well and they're the ones that ignore AS' so I'm happy. What did you get in the end if you dont mind me asking?

AAAB (chem, phys, Maths and bio. I did 4 A2s) and 697.5 ukcat :smile:

Reply 8
Original post by J1994D
AAAB (chem, phys, Maths and bio. I did 4 A2s) and 697.5 ukcat :smile:

Congrats on getting the grades must feel "safer" in some ways to actually have them in hand. Good UKCAT too! I'm at 675 so still safe I reckon.
Congrats on getting the grades must feel "safer" in some ways to actually have them in hand. Good UKCAT too! I'm at 675 so still safe I reckon.

Yeah especially as my AS we're ABBB which let me down last year and ukcat was 607.5 last year :smile: what are your AS or predictions, your ukcat is great well done :smile:

I called Plymouth yesterday and they told me if you have achieved grades then they give only slight preference and still rank you using your UKCAT score. It's been said on the Medicine forum that if you have achieved grades then you're pretty much guaranteed an interview regardless of your UKCAT score, this is not true (well at least from what I was told by the Plymouth admissions staff).
Original post by NutterFrutter
I called Plymouth yesterday and they told me if you have achieved grades then they give only slight preference and still rank you using your UKCAT score. It's been said on the Medicine forum that if you have achieved grades then you're pretty much guaranteed an interview regardless of your UKCAT score, this is not true (well at least from what I was told by the Plymouth admissions staff).

Yeah the idea you're guaranteed is just stupid, a bit of preference is nice though :smile: probably in giving offers is where the preference might be

Predictions will be either A*AA or AAA. Hoping for the A* in Psychology because I was only 5 UMS (3 UMS of an A in Unit 1 and 2 UMS off an A in Unit 2... I know!) an A. Easy enough to bring up at A2 considering the fact its essay based entirely. Love essays. :wink:

AS', best not go there. :tongue: Not until they've been remarked and I have petitioned the Prime Minister for a competent education system.

Haha okay, btw remarks rarely go up for science subjects where no essays are involved like chem/math/physics etc. shown in my Maths being 2 off an A*, remark made it 3 off an A* :frown: haha I hate essays! Be careful though, if you're predicted an A* and get an offer of A* you'll be under more pressure! And most places don't give an advantage to those with A*

Reply 13
Original post by J1994D
Haha okay, btw remarks rarely go up for science subjects where no essays are involved like chem/math/physics etc. shown in my Maths being 2 off an A*, remark made it 3 off an A* :frown: haha I hate essays! Be careful though, if you're predicted an A* and get an offer of A* you'll be under more pressure! And most places don't give an advantage to those with A*

Yeah, I know but looking at the scripts we've had returned I cannot fathom (and neither can teaching staff who are senior examiners for our exam boards) how marks have not been awarded. A bit miffed. :tongue:
Yeah, I know but looking at the scripts we've had returned I cannot fathom (and neither can teaching staff who are senior examiners for our exam boards) how marks have not been awarded. A bit miffed. :tongue:

What subjects? Psychology I understand they miss marks as essays :smile: hope they go up whatever they are

A script which is remarked has been done so by a senior examiner. Now, you say your teachers are "senior examiners", what does this actually mean? Are they Team Leaders? Principal Examiners? Chief Examiners? Or just been an examiner for quite a few years?

Just asking...
Reply 16
Original post by J1994D
What subjects? Psychology I understand they miss marks as essays :smile: hope they go up whatever they are

Psychology and Biology.

Original post by NutterFrutter
A script which is remarked has been done so by a senior examiner. Now, you say your teachers are "senior examiners", what does this actually mean? Are they Team Leaders? Principal Examiners? Chief Examiners? Or just been an examiner for quite a few years?

Just asking...

My scripts are yet to be remarked as I am yet to request the service. The teachers I have spoken to are Team Leaders and Principal Examiners..
Does anyone know if they'll accept ABB resitters? Can't find it on their website :frown:
At present for 2013 our entry requirements are as follows:
GCE A level - The typical offer is A*AA AAA at GCE A Level which must include Chemistry and either Biology or Physics. A fourth subject must be achieved at AS Level at grade A-C. If Biology is not studied at A Level, it must be offered at AS Level at grade A-C. General Studies at A/AS Level is not included within any offer.
GCSEs - Applicants need to achieve 7 GCSE passes at grades A-C which must include English Language, Mathematics and either GCSE Single and Additional Science or GCSE Biology and Chemistry.

All students need to sit the UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT). All prospective applicants are advised to visit the UKCAT website to familiarise themselves with the registration process and UKCAT bursaries that are available to students at: www.ukcat.ac.uk

Please bear in mind that the typical offer noted above is not necessarily the threshold for selection for interview. Other factors, including the number of applications received and performance in the UK Clinical Aptitude Test influence the threshold for selection for interview. Please note that we do not know what UKCAT scores we will be looking at for 2013 entry because these scores change every year depending on all of the results.

With regards to re-sit applicants we would consider A’Level re-sits (for the above mentioned subjects) as long as the applicant obtained at least AAB in their first sitting.
Reply 19

hey whats the ukcat cut off for aberdeen?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending