The Student Room Group

Too many young mums knocking about

Scroll to see replies

They're only really limiting their own potential and life experiences. Yes, it is annoying that some of them live of the state but whilst such a system exists people are going to exploit it. They're hardly living the life of luxury on benefits.,I feel more sorry for the children than anything.
Original post by kiss_me_now9
23 years old and pregnant is very different to 15 and pregnant.

The OP did mention about people in their early 20s being pregnant.

Would love to know how the OP knows that the child is the persons who is taking them around shops (mum has a half-sister who is 14 years younger and would taker her out when they were younger) and are a single parent.
Reply 62
Original post by Skill
All I see all day is young mum with child, young mum with child - and I can instantly tell most of these young girls are single mums etc.

Seeing all these uneducated, poorly mannered, stuck up, ugly women rolling down the street or park with their babies in tow living with this victim mentality. Ugly. They deserve nothing.

Discuss.

I think this thread is awful. "I can instantly tell they are single mums" well that's just ridiculous. Never judge a book by its cover, it's just horribly stereotypical.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 63
I think the soloution to the problem is Islam. You will hardly see any teen muslim girl getting pregnant outside marriage.
Reply 64
Original post by geebee
It's none of your business what age someone is when they have a baby. They may make the wrong choices but being a young mum isn't always a bad thing, I know some who due to having a baby have actually settled down and grown up to be more responsible and stay out of trouble as a result. You can't just take the bad cases and put a big blanket on all the young mum's out there. Everyone out there has their own story and at the end of the day it's up to individuals to make their own decisions. Maybe if more young dad's had kept it in their pants this would be less of an issue. But no it's always the girl's fault isn't it...

What a ridiculous excuse ... 'maybe if more young dad's had kept it in their pants' ... maybe if more mums had a bit more respect for themselves and any potential kid they bring into the world more like! TRUTH HURTS
Reply 65
Original post by laurenbowes
I don't want to hear the truth? I've never been pregnant...

They have EQUAL responsibility. It's the man's fault just as much as the woman's. The woman didn't want the baby but they deal with it because they have to. The man didn't want it and they don't deal with it. How is that fair?

The problem is that women can utilise that situation to their advantage where they have full power and control (things like deciding whether or not to go ahead with baby even if the man used a condom - or in divorce etc)

Now what do you have to say about that ? Is that fair ? No.
Reply 66
Original post by PhysicsGirl
In 2009 (the latest data I could find), teenage pregnancy rates in England and Wales were "estimated to be the lowest since the early 1980s" (Guardian Article; http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/feb/22/teenage-pregnancy-rates-england-wales-map). I think you might be exaggerating the number of teenage pregnancies in your area, possibly due to your own lack of education. You realise that just because you see a woman and a young child in your shop, it does not mean that they are mother and daughter, and if they are, you have no real way of determining whether the mother is working, whether they are on benefits or whether there's an active and involved father. Also, I'd argue that if you're a woman and over 20, it's your life and if you want children, then fine. Start a family.
You say that "They deserve nothing", referring to the benefits provided by the government to those with children; have you considered that those benefits are spent on the care of the children in question? What would you prefer, very, very poor families with starving children? Clearly, you've already written off the parents; why not write off the children as failures too, eh?
We don't live in a perfect society. There are a lot of problems. But it's people like yourself who are equally as uneducated and ignorant as those you attack in your OP- you're not as above them as you think.

Feminist? So many points that are wrong here I won't bother to let your female emotion get in the way of logic and intelligence.
Reply 67
Original post by Skill
What a ridiculous excuse ... 'maybe if more young dad's had kept it in their pants' ... maybe if more mums had a bit more respect for themselves and any potential kid they bring into the world more like! TRUTH HURTS

How the hell can you be female and have this viewpoint? You can slag off young mums you don't know all you like but someone else is also responsible for that child.
Reply 68
Original post by ConnorB
It's a sad reality when people have a baby so they can receive monetary gain.

Unfortunately this is what many working class women of this country aspire to nowadays! Lovely!
Reply 69
Original post by kunoichi
An ugly fat common chav with a baby would annoy me far less than you do

Yes and you're Welsh.
Reply 70
Original post by Lilrascal19
Nothing wrong with a 'council estate lifestyle.'

I'm quite they aren't losing any sleep over your views.
Get off your moral high horse, stop being so judgemental of people you hardly know anything about and focus on you.

How is there nothing wrong with it? Is there anything right about it? Also what a sick way to use a child.
I completely agree OP..

I am sick of girls getting pregnant and it instantly being the mans fault, "he didn't wear a condom so it's his fault" what about the pill, or the femidom... Its not like the condom is the only type of contraception.. Why should it just be down to the man? Why can't a woman carry a condom? If the bloke refuse to wear it then simply refuse to lay on your back with your legs open wide..

The day after I lost my virginity I went straight to the doctors to be put on the pill.. I weren't gunna have a screaming child ruin my childhood!!

Most people in my school claimed to lose their virginity at 13, which in my mind is completely sick, I lost mine only about 2 months before my sixteenth..

Some people in my school were pregnant by 13 too which, at that age, you're still a child yourself..

I've heard many people say also "well I decided to keep the baby so I didn't have to go out and work" which just boils my blood... There has been many occasions in the city where I've just wanted to kill someone.. I just think of these poor children asking their parents when they're old enough to know the birds and bees, how they came along and how mummy decided to go along with having a kid, I can imagine the stupidity and brutality of them saying "well you we're an easy way for me to claim benefits and sit on my fat arse!!"

I am not generalising but I have honestly heard a few teens say that it's easier so they won't have to work and will still get paid

I understand sometimes accidents happen, but the legal age is 16, and normally the person a teen lose their virginity to their not in a relationship with, but surely you don't just slip and the boys penis ends up inside? That would be a real accident not the condom splitting, or forgetting..

I love the story I've heard many school friends say "we were drunk and it just happened, we didn't know what we were doing"
I'm sorry, but I've been so drunk I could even move let alone walk and I never decided to jump on the next boy that looked at me.. 13-16 year olds know exactly what they are doing when they are drunk, even though the alcohol affects them, it doesn't affect their brain as much, it's why they also don't get hang overs..

Its just another lame excuse.. God I hate my generation.. Some of us need to be shot..
I haven't actually seen one person from my school who is a teen mother to be a brilliant mother so far, they just palm the, off to friends and relatives and go out getting pissed.. SETTING A GREAT EXAMPLE!! I also don't know one who was already in a relationship with the father, or even still with the father!!!

Original post by Skill
The problem is that women can utilise that situation to their advantage where they have full power and control (things like deciding whether or not to go ahead with baby even if the man used a condom - or in divorce etc)

Now what do you have to say about that ? Is that fair ? No.

The only decision the woman can make is whether to have an abortion or not. The man can just walk out and pretend it never happened.
Reply 73
Original post by g_star_raw_1989
They're only really limiting their own potential and life experiences. Yes, it is annoying that some of them live of the state but whilst such a system exists people are going to exploit it. They're hardly living the life of luxury on benefits.,I feel more sorry for the children than anything.

Ye I see your point. I used to feel sorry for the future children, but recently I had a different perspective on it. I look forward to their children being totally f***** up and flawed just like their parents - as karma for their cheap tacky mother.
Reply 74
Original post by OU Student
The OP did mention about people in their early 20s being pregnant.

Would love to know how the OP knows that the child is the persons who is taking them around shops (mum has a half-sister who is 14 years younger and would taker her out when they were younger) and are a single parent.

I meant more teenagers and 20/21 etc ... just generally more a cultural thing. A class thing in some ways.

I just do!
Reply 75
Original post by hb31
I think this thread is awful. "I can instantly tell they are single mums" well that's just ridiculous. Never judge a book by its cover, it's just horribly stereotypical.

What do you mean that is ridiculous? These girls up and down the country are scattered everywhere. Thick ugly chav, rough looking, poorly spoken, poorly dressed, poorly mannered, rude, talking to kid like it's an animal etc .. It's easy to read people and situations after a while.
Original post by Skill
I meant more teenagers and 20/21 etc ... just generally more a cultural thing. A class thing in some ways.

I just do!

You don't. You're just making assumptions.
Reply 77
Original post by MelissaBabe
I completely agree OP..

I am sick of girls getting pregnant and it instantly being the mans fault, "he didn't wear a condom so it's his fault" what about the pill, or the femidom... Its not like the condom is the only type of contraception.. Why should it just be down to the man? Why can't a woman carry a condom? If the bloke refuse to wear it then simply refuse to lay on your back with your legs open wide..

The day after I lost my virginity I went straight to the doctors to be put on the pill.. I weren't gunna have a screaming child ruin my childhood!!

Most people in my school claimed to lose their virginity at 13, which in my mind is completely sick, I lost mine only about 2 months before my sixteenth..

Some people in my school were pregnant by 13 too which, at that age, you're still a child yourself..

I've heard many people say also "well I decided to keep the baby so I didn't have to go out and work" which just boils my blood... There has been many occasions in the city where I've just wanted to kill someone.. I just think of these poor children asking their parents when they're old enough to know the birds and bees, how they came along and how mummy decided to go along with having a kid, I can imagine the stupidity and brutality of them saying "well you we're an easy way for me to claim benefits and sit on my fat arse!!"

I am not generalising but I have honestly heard a few teens say that it's easier so they won't have to work and will still get paid

I understand sometimes accidents happen, but the legal age is 16, and normally the person a teen lose their virginity to their not in a relationship with, but surely you don't just slip and the boys penis ends up inside? That would be a real accident not the condom splitting, or forgetting..

I love the story I've heard many school friends say "we were drunk and it just happened, we didn't know what we were doing"
I'm sorry, but I've been so drunk I could even move let alone walk and I never decided to jump on the next boy that looked at me.. 13-16 year olds know exactly what they are doing when they are drunk, even though the alcohol affects them, it doesn't affect their brain as much, it's why they also don't get hang overs..

Its just another lame excuse.. God I hate my generation.. Some of us need to be shot..
I haven't actually seen one person from my school who is a teen mother to be a brilliant mother so far, they just palm the, off to friends and relatives and go out getting pissed.. SETTING A GREAT EXAMPLE!! I also don't know one who was already in a relationship with the father, or even still with the father!!!

THANK YOU. A woman of respect - someone who is honest. You are a RARE breed. A woman who looks at her own sex critically rather than pass the buck. Good on you.
Reply 78
Original post by laurenbowes
The only decision the woman can make is whether to have an abortion or not. The man can just walk out and pretend it never happened.

But what if man uses condom but girl gets pregnant and has baby. Man is now committed by law to pay benefits for the rest of his life. Is that fair? Is that fair? NO. But I'll let your female emotion blind logic.
Original post by Skill
But what if man uses condom but girl gets pregnant and has baby. Man is now committed by law to pay benefits for the rest of his life. Is that fair? Is that fair? NO. But I'll let your female emotion blind logic.

That's the risk he takes.

Quick Reply

Latest