The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 1
Out of those it's definately between Lancaster and Durham. Durham is a more prestigious university but appearantly it has a very poor business school. Lancaster is a less prestiogious uni but a much better rep for accounting and finance and business in general.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
All offers are conditional.. ABB for both Lancaster and Newcastle, BBC for Durham... at the moment, it seems that I am dismissing Glasgow because the weather there I heard is worse than the other three places..
Reply 3
Don't be fooled, Lancaster is just as cold and wet as Glasgow. Both are on the west coast of the UK.
Reply 4
Hi Missy,

Any idea about the 4 unis..
Reply 5
check out this link, 'the times' do uni rankings by individual subjects. I figured 'economics' included finance and accounting. Based on that it looks like durham would be your best bet.

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gooduniversityguide2005/20economics.pdf
Reply 6
But isn't Durham a bit too quiet in comparison with Newcastle or Lancaster?
Reply 7
my friend visited there the other day and she really seemed to like it, having said that, i should think you're probably right. Depends if you're a city-person i suppose, i reckon Lancaster a good compromise between living in no man's land and living in 700,000,000 man's land. You get the social side but still have an element of homeliness!
Reply 8
i would not put Accounting and finance under Economics at all, trust me i do economics. the best place for it would be Business studies. i know they are also different but that’s the primary area it would come under at the uni. so here’s the same Times one for Business studies;
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,716-1628873,00.html
i have never been to Durham so i can't comment on the area but i would say Newcastle is the most 'active' as it's in the biggest city, but Lancaster isn’t exactly quite anyway.
Reply 9
Those tables are so confusing...so different in ranking..
Reply 10
Depends what you want from university really.

If you want to go to a university with a good reputation for your subject then I would perhaps choose Lancaster (I'm assuming accounting and finance is the same as business in those league tables). The business department there is really nice and has an excellent reputation. On the down side the weather in Lancaster is perhaps on the cold and wet side, however, I suppose this is typical really of british weather.

If the location is more important to you i.e you like the city life then perhaps Newcastle or Glasgow. I think both are very similar however I know from studying in the business department at Glasgow myself that it is not very good (however, I may have found it like that as I did not enjoy the subject). Not sure about Newcastle for the subject.
Durham is a little quieter if you prefer somewhere like that.
Lancaster again may be the solution. The university is located south of the small city of Lancaster. The campus has all the facilities you need so you'll find that you rarely need to leave. For a night out Lancaster has a few pubs and clubs. However, Manchester is not far away if you crave the big city night life. The university also operates a college system where you will become a member of one of eight colleges. It gives the university a nice community feel to it and with eight colleges plus the postgraduate one, you get nine bars. Perfect if you don't want to leave campus and want a bar crawl.

Hope that helps.
Reply 11
Thanks Missy and all for the information..
Reply 12
Can I ask you about the gap year and how it is done?
Hey, I can't give you much idea about courses and the like but I can tell you a bit about the cities of Newcastle and Durham. Newcastle is a great city, full of things to do. There is a big student population there, which is either a good or bad thing depending on what you want. It is though, quite an expensive place to be.

Durham, another expensive place to live. Its a really pretty little place and a great place to visit but I don't know if I could live there. A small centre with a few shops and that's about that. The people aren't as friendly as you will find in Newcastle or I myself found when I visited and fell in love with Lancaster.

If you want to know anymore about either city, give me a shout.
Reply 14
Hi NorthumberlandLad,

Thanx for the valuable information. But why would Durham be so expensive when it is such a quiet and small place!!?? Now the thing is, Durham only wants BBC, which is a place I have to go if I don't get the ABB needed for either Lancaster or Newcastle...
Durham is expensive because it attracts lots of tourists. So, basic things like a cup of coffee can be rathre price. Lots of people also have second homes in the area, so the property prices are quite high also.

There are still the student places, but they are a little harder to find than most places

Latest

Trending

Trending