The Student Room Group

Physics degree- choosing unis

My AS grades are as follows:
Maths-A
Further Maths-A
English Literature-B
Physics-C

Next year I am dropping English Literature and doing A2 Chemistry as well as the EPQ.

I plan to retake modules and hopefully get an A in physics, as I know I could of worked 90% harder (learning the whole exam 6 hours before it actually starts is never a good idea!) and have got my butt into gear this summer in preparation for next year.

However the problem comes in applying to uni, as clearly my physics grade isn't currently very good.

Initially I wanted to apply to;
Imperial
UCL
Kings College London
Birmingham
Leicester

However I'm now having second thoughts, especially considering the competitive nature of Imperial, and actually most of these unis.

If my teachers predict me As and A*s for next year will I have a chance of getting an offer from any of the above, or should I be more realistic and lower my expectations slightly?

Any advice/ uni recommendations/ reality checks would be very welcome.

Thank you.
Reply 1
I'd suggest having 1 high aspiration, 2 decent ones which are realistic and 2 backups because your expectations of yourself will probably change as you go into A2 and go through the application process and you don't wanna be restricted when you make your decision in May :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
OK, thank you! Are you able to be any more specific? For example, do you think the unis I've mentioned would fit into those categories? :smile:
Reply 3
You will literally have to beg your physics teacher to predict you an A. They really don't like predicting more than one grade above AS. Imperial/UCL/Kings are high aspirations and Birmingham and Leicester are really good Unis. Check their entry requirements. :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks. :smile: Yeah, I will have to talk to her, I think she will understand (well, hopefully!).
OK, by 'high aspirations' do you think they will consider me? I'm worried they'll look at the physics mark and just toss my application to one side.
The entry requirements range from A*AA to AAB.
Reply 5
I don't know the grades they normally ask for at my unis, but my uni choices had these as the typical offers;

AAB
ABB
ABB
BBB
BBC

Which would have been a good mix if the BBB uni hadn't decided to give me a higher offer and I kind of grew to despise the BBC uni so I didn't put an insurance and just firmed an ABB uni, Leeds, where I'm going in 3 weeks :biggrin:

I think I had a good mix but just be prepared to not get straight offers from everyone, some of them might enjoy to give you unexpected offers, with physics as well be prepared to be interviews, I had interviews from 3 of mine

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending