The Student Room Group

Biomedical Science Applicants 2013 Entry!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Saurus95
For Biomedical Sciences, you need to show an interest in the subject (usually by reading journals and keeping fairly up to date with any big scientific developments). You need to find a reason as to why you want to do it (and the phrase 'I'm interested in it' won't cut it). I suggest you include the name of a specific journal that you read. You should also, for every activity you mention, state how it has/will help for the purposes of university. If you have any work experience in the medical field, include it but state what you actually got from it. Your first and last paragraphs need to be strong.

In my case, I used the fact that as I have been VI for my whole life and have therefore wanted to know more about the human body, etc.

Awesome, thank you so much. :biggrin: I've just got my first draft done. :smile:
Also, congratulations to those who have received offers. :wink:
Reply 81
AS level: ABC
Applying to: Reading, Lancaster, Kent, Keele and Bradford.
Reply 82
Original post by lastlullabyy
GOT AN OFFER FOR BIOMEDICAL SCIENCES AT NEWCASTLE! <3 it's my back up for Medicine but still, good to know that they want me somewhere in the UK and that I don't have to stay in Poland :biggrin:

Congratulations on your offer for biomed at newcastle ! :smile: I also applied, but have only had an acknowledgement so far. I'm an int'l applicant though, I don't know if they look at our applications last..? When did you apply?
Original post by HamzahK21
Hey guys I'm hoping to study biomedical science at Southampton, Newcastle or St. Georges. At AS I got abcc and am predicted ABB. Is this ok to apply for biomedical science? :s-smilie:

you might want to check carefully as alot of people on my course wanted to go to newcastle but ended up applying to northumbria instead because newcastle is apparently uncredited by the IBMS so you cannot work in the NHS
this thread is mildly depressing to me is there no one who is taking biomed because they want to actually be a scientist and not just to cheat the medical entry system :cry:

why neg the truth? i asked a simple question
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by deekonp
Congratulations on your offer for biomed at newcastle ! :smile: I also applied, but have only had an acknowledgement so far. I'm an int'l applicant though, I don't know if they look at our applications last..? When did you apply?

I applied on 8th October :smile: I have no idea about their policy towards international students, I'm Polish but EU students' applications are considered the same way as UK...
Original post by rattusratus
this thread is mildly depressing to me

is there no one who is taking biomed because they want to actually be a scientist and not just to cheat the medical entry system :cry:

well... life's life :smile: i don't feel bad that I got an offer for biomedical sciences and eventually I wanna be a surgeon. And also I don't see anything bad in this route to medicine
Reply 87

is there no one who is taking biomed because they want to actually be a scientist and not just to cheat the medical entry system :cry:

It's hardly cheating the system :s

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 88
Original post by nevetstreblig
Ah, on the topic of AS grades - i got BCC in AS (a bit of a shocker) but pulled it up to AAB. I applied to SGUL/QMUL/Sussex/Keele/Southampton, getting all fiver offers ranging from AAB --> BBC

That's awesome! Well done! I got the exact same grades and hoping to apply to Ulster, West of Scotland and Napier :smile:
Reply 89

Actually, I don't want to go do medicince, I'd like to work in labs....as a scientist... :s-smilie:
Reply 90

is there no one who is taking biomed because they want to actually be a scientist and not just to cheat the medical entry system

I wanted to do Medicine but I found out that you can't do Medicine if you have uncorrectable visual impairment. I want to do Biomedical Science.

Moreover, it is in fact more difficult to get into Graduate Medicine.
Original post by cgraham040
Actually, I don't want to go do medicince, I'd like to work in labs....as a scientist... :s-smilie:

thank you :biggrin: at least there are people using the degree for it intended purpose
Reply 92
Does anyone have any statistics regarding the competitiveness of UCL's Biomedical Sciences BSc programme?
Hey guyss,, i got an offer from kent today !! :biggrin:
its my 5th choice and the offers BBB
still waiting on the other 4:
sheffield,
Newcastle,
Southampton
and Aston :smile:
Reply 94
Hey guys. I am just about to send off my UCAS application.

Applying to

Durham
Hull
Nottingham
Bradford
Edinburgh

Really fancy going to Durham. I love the North East and while it may not be the best for Biomed, it has too much going for it. Plus they seemed very friendly lol!
Reply 95
Currently an interview at Lancaster and offers from Surrey & UEA.

And there is nothing wrong with using Biomed as an alternative Medicine route however, what upsets me a little is when medical candidates are chosen over those who actually want to study the subject itself, just my opinion!

Good luck.
I'm hoping to use the course as a route into Medicine and I've had two conditional offers so far from Surrey & UWE. :smile: It depends how much I enjoy the course to be honest - if I really enjoy it then I won't continue onto a Med Degree!
Reply 97
Original post by toonbarmy
Hey guys. I am just about to send off my UCAS application.

Applying to

Durham
Hull
Nottingham
Bradford
Edinburgh

Really fancy going to Durham. I love the North East and while it may not be the best for Biomed, it has too much going for it. Plus they seemed very friendly lol!

Good luck!

What courses are you applying for at Nottingham and Edinburgh? They don't have a specific biomed course right?
Reply 98
Original post by RIHD
Good luck!

What courses are you applying for at Nottingham and Edinburgh? They don't have a specific biomed course right?

Edinburgh has Medical Sciences and Nottingham has now been written off. will pick Sheffield instead. :smile: Thank you for your well wishes. How is your application coming along?
Reply 99
Original post by toonbarmy
Edinburgh has Medical Sciences and Nottingham has now been written off. will pick Sheffield instead. :smile: Thank you for your well wishes. How is your application coming along?

I've applied to Oxford, UCL, Kings and Birmingham so far. I'm hoping I'll hear back from somewhere soon so I can make a more informed decision about my fifth choice.

I've heard Edinburgh are notoriously slow at giving out offers - but this page suggests that Sheffield are really quick. Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest