The Student Room Group

Cardiff Medical School Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by Tolstoy
Really? :eek:

I'll have to research that like crazy, then!

Can you provide a source, please :smile:

They do like to see you know a bit about the welsh NHS. There isn't really that much of a difference. The obvious ones are free car parking and free prescriptions. I'd be looking into why the welsh NHS needs a diverse range of care facilities to provide healthcare in busy cities like Cardiff as well as the very rural areas of Mid Wales. It may also be worth looking into how the cuts are effecting the NHS in Wales. A lot of A&E departments are closing due to this and due to a shortage of doctors wanting to work in Wales.
Reply 261
Original post by Elwyn
They do like to see you know a bit about the welsh NHS. There isn't really that much of a difference. The obvious ones are free car parking and free prescriptions. I'd be looking into why the welsh NHS needs a diverse range of care facilities to provide healthcare in busy cities like Cardiff as well as the very rural areas of Mid Wales. It may also be worth looking into how the cuts are effecting the NHS in Wales. A lot of A&E departments are closing due to this and due to a shortage of doctors wanting to work in Wales.

Oh, I see,thanks :smile:

Do you have any useful links for that?
Reply 262
Original post by Elwyn

Thanks man, those are some good ideas. You applying to cardiff too then?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 263
Original post by dagooner
Thanks man, those are some good ideas. You applying to cardiff too then?

No, already been through that nightmare :tongue:
I'm a second year medic there.
Original post by Elwyn

Enjoying it? :biggrin:
Reply 265
Original post by Elwyn

You lucky guy! Cardiff seems awesome (despite the low rankings). I know that in interviews, you often get the question: Why this uni? I know about the course to some extent but I have no idea what cardiff's version of an integrated course structure means?
Reply 266
i'm applying to cardiff :smile: love it so much! hope i get an interview!!! does anyone know if cardiff favour very high a level predictions?
Reply 267
Original post by lrdoc13
i'm applying to cardiff :smile: love it so much! hope i get an interview!!! does anyone know if cardiff favour very high a level predictions?

Hello, and welcome to the thread. :smile:

I think they look at predictions, and they should be the offer or greater, but, it's the GCSEs they look at, predominantly.

On that, what was your Cardiff Score? :smile:
Reply 268
Original post by Tolstoy
Oh, I see,thanks :smile:

Do you have any useful links for that?

I can't really think of any, I remember when I applied it was impossible to find a simple explanation of why the Welsh NHS is different. This site may provide an insight into what's going on in Wales in terms of healthcare though: http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/health/

Original post by frogs r everywhere
Enjoying it? :biggrin:

I love it. Studying medicine hear at Cardiff is enjoyable and fun. If I didn't enjoy it I don't think I could do it.

Original post by dagooner
You lucky guy! Cardiff seems awesome (despite the low rankings). I know that in interviews, you often get the question: Why this uni? I know about the course to some extent but I have no idea what cardiff's version of an integrated course structure means?

I'm not the best person to ask as I'm not sure how the course is going to change for 2013 entry. I assume you've heard of the C21 project (http://medicine.cf.ac.uk/medical-education/c21/) but they haven't released much information about it in terms of specific course structure as of yet. I'm fairly certain they're going to move toward a more PBL type course rather than a fully traditional course.
Reply 269
Original post by Elwyn
I can't really think of any, I remember when I applied it was impossible to find a simple explanation of why the Welsh NHS is different. This site may provide an insight into what's going on in Wales in terms of healthcare though: http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/health/

I love it. Studying medicine hear at Cardiff is enjoyable and fun. If I didn't enjoy it I don't think I could do it.

I'm not the best person to ask as I'm not sure how the course is going to change for 2013 entry. I assume you've heard of the C21 project (http://medicine.cf.ac.uk/medical-education/c21/) but they haven't released much information about it in terms of specific course structure as of yet. I'm fairly certain they're going to move toward a more PBL type course rather than a fully traditional course.

Thanks a bunch for those links, I'll read until I know it all from memory. :biggrin:

I really do hope, with all my heart, that I get to interview.
Reply 270
Original post by Tolstoy
Hello, and welcome to the thread. :smile:

I think they look at predictions, and they should be the offer or greater, but, it's the GCSEs they look at, predominantly.

On that, what was your Cardiff Score? :smile:

26/27 and I have three a stars predicted :smile: how about you?
Reply 271
Original post by lrdoc13
26/27 and I have three a stars predicted :smile: how about you?

Very nice, you're better than me :tongue:

25/27 and 4 A*s predicted, but they don't look at those for the academic points.
can anyone tell me any course specific points about Cardiff, because I didn't go to the open day, and don't actually know much about the course other than it being integrated. :redface:
Reply 273
Original post by dreamer9501
can anyone tell me any course specific points about Cardiff, because I didn't go to the open day, and don't actually know much about the course other than it being integrated. :redface:

I'm not sure, either. I'm trying to research it.
Original post by Tolstoy
I'm not sure, either. I'm trying to research it.

I can't actually find anything specific, other than the fact they're changing the course for 2013 as according to that C21 project thing. :redface:
Reply 275
Original post by Tolstoy
Very nice, you're better than me :tongue:

25/27 and 4 A*s predicted, but they don't look at those for the academic points.

ooh thats awesome :biggrin: just as well dont think i will get 3!! where else have you applied?
Reply 276
Original post by lrdoc13
ooh thats awesome :biggrin: just as well dont think i will get 3!! where else have you applied?

I've applied for Keele, Leicester and UEA. :smile:

What about you?
Reply 277
ooh nice! bristol, manchester and southampton :smile:
Reply 278
Original post by Tolstoy
Oh, I see. :smile:

Really, that makes more sense.

Cardiff's website says:

The final decision to offer a place is made by the Admissions Sub-Committee Selection Panel, chaired by the Sub-Dean for Admissions. It is determined by an applicant's overall ranking, based on a combination of the academic profile, personal statement and referee's report, and the interview performance. Applicants will be advised of decisions by UCAS, and also in writing by the School Admissions Office.

So, Selection is made on a combination of factors, not just the interview.

Hope this helps

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 279
Original post by Bagger
Cardiff's website says:

The final decision to offer a place is made by the Admissions Sub-Committee Selection Panel, chaired by the Sub-Dean for Admissions. It is determined by an applicant's overall ranking, based on a combination of the academic profile, personal statement and referee's report, and the interview performance. Applicants will be advised of decisions by UCAS, and also in writing by the School Admissions Office.

So, Selection is made on a combination of factors, not just the interview.

Hope this helps

That's fantastic news! Makes it somewhat less nerve wracking I guess! That was helpful indeed. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending