The Student Room Group

How come Asian students achieve A/A* at GCSE Language?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JamesYoung
You're at a top university so people with CCC wouldn't have got on those courses. Secondly, the places filled by international students are paid for by international students. The funding paid for by taxpayers are the places filled by UK students. If those international places were vacant - as many are, take a look at clearing lists at leading universities, many arts subjects are in there but aren't filled - they don't then go to UK/EU applicants.

As for the brain drain, thousands of Chinese students do get educated in their home country. Have you not heard about the millions who want to leave the farms and make it to the city? Their economy is so large I wouldn't consider a few hundred thousand international students across the world as a 'brain drain'.

I don't see why you're so against them, they're doing British students a massive favour.

Look - we're never going to agree and this can really go on all day.

I think we should look to have less foreign students in, but I accept that at the moment that isn't financially viable because the system is too dependent on the money they bring in. I don't think it's right that universities are bringing students in who cannot speak the language very well, but you think that's fine.

There's very little definitive right or wrong in this. I think I'm right, you think you're right. It's probably best if we leave it at how it is.
Original post by Maker
Your issues seem more internal than external.

I am not sure why other people in your class looking at their iphones has anything to do with you if they are not actually disrupting the class by being noisy.

You should be concentrating on the class rather than be so easily distracted by other students.

You also seem to be unaware that academia is a very international affair. People travel all over the world to work and study and exchange ideas. You rather colloquial attitude is at odds with that. I think hemp will do you good, help you to chill.

It's kind of annoying that they're sat there doing nothing and not participating when there could quite easily be another student sat there who actually speaks the language, understands the work and takes part.

It's frustrating to hear of British students not getting places on courses and then to see foreign students who are here because they can buy their way in doing naff all. Yeah, its their money they're wasting, but still the point stands. They're a waste of a damn place.
Reply 42
Original post by ilickbatteries
It's kind of annoying that they're sat there doing nothing and not participating when there could quite easily be another student sat there who actually speaks the language, understands the work and takes part.

It's frustrating to hear of British students not getting places on courses and then to see foreign students who are here because they can buy their way in doing naff all. Yeah, its their money they're wasting, but still the point stands. They're a waste of a damn place.

Have you read anything anyone's been saying???

UK students are not in competition with international applicants for university places.
Original post by JamesYoung
Have you read anything anyone's been saying???

UK students are not in competition with international applicants for university places.

Jesus Christ man. I understand that, you don't need to put it in bold underline.

UK students are not in competition because places are set aside for them, right? International quotas and such? Yes?

Well, if the international quota for my course is, say, ten places out of forty, and seven of those ten students simply don't participate, its still a waste of a space.
, my Asian friends use this one:

A*= above average
A=average
B= below average
c= crap
d=dead
e=execution
U=u don't wanna know

:smile:
Original post by Observatory
Chinese emigrants to the UK and other developed countries are usually the top few % of IQ from their home country.

Is this really true? Most of the guys I know who came to the UK or went to the US were the better off students as opposed to the most smart.Even scholarships, which are meant to even out the playing field, were mostly awarded to private school kids because public schooling is so sh*ty in my country.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 46

dude there is so many places in clearing right now so i doubt British students are missing out
Reply 47
Original post by History98
Is this really true? Most of the guys I know who came to the UK or went to the US were the better off students as opposed to the most smart.Even scholarships, which are meant to even out the playing field, were mostly awarded to private school kids because public schooling is so sh*ty here in Africa.

africa is a continent not a country
I thought it was:

A-Acceptable
B-Bad
C-Crap
D-Don't bother coming home tonight!

Oh wait, that's just my own grading system :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 49
Isn't it demoralising to have us asians beat most of you[English] at your own language?
Original post by sucess
africa is a continent not a country

I know LOL, meant to say South-Africa
Reply 51
Jesus Christ man. I understand that, you don't need to put it in bold underline.

UK students are not in competition because places are set aside for them, right? International quotas and such? Yes?

Well, if the international quota for my course is, say, ten places out of forty, and seven of those ten students simply don't participate, its still a waste of a space.

The only barrier to home students getting places is not getting the grades, you seem to be arguing that grades should not be a barrier to getting on a course.

You seem to be incapable of understanding the implications of what you are saying.

Heres a summary of what you are saying: "British uni places for British students."
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Maker
The only barrier to home students getting places is not getting the grades, you seem to be arguing that grades should not be a barrier to getting on a course.

You seem to be incapable of understanding the implications of what you are saying.

Excuse me but where I did say grades shouldn't be a barrier?

You're very much misunderstanding my point - If I've worded or communicated it badly then I accept fault for that.

If a course has fifty places, fifteen of which are reserved for international students, and those international students can't actually speak good enough English to get by - they're only there for the university to cash in - is that not a waste of a space?

Why not give it to a British citizen who can speak English and who can do group work?

If next term I have assessed group work, I'd be very unhappy if I was put in the same group as one or more foreign students who can't speak the language. The overall work quality will suffer and so might my own grade.
Reply 53
Original post by Pomppufiilis
I know in China and SE Asian countries they start learning English in their equivalent of year one in primary school. And most who immigrate to the UK are from middle and upper class families and were probably taught in better schools and had plenty of private tuition, the Chinese will spend a fortune on tuition! I think it's pretty sad that most of us born in the UK can't speak other languages like people in other countries can speak English. I suppose it's our own fault.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

True they start learning english when they are very young. Think the reason why we are lazy to learn other languages is because we can speak our own language around the world. The fact that English is an international language makes people less motivated to learn something new
Reply 54

You're very much misunderstanding my point - If I've worded or communicated it badly then I accept fault for that.

If a course has fifty places, fifteen of which are reserved for international students, and those international students can't actually speak good enough English to get by - they're only there for the university to cash in - is that not a waste of a space?

Why not give it to a British citizen who can speak English and who can do group work?

If next term I have assessed group work, I'd be very unhappy if I was put in the same group as one or more foreign students who can't speak the language. The overall work quality will suffer and so might my own grade.

Who will pay for this UK student?
What's far more interesting is what they have to give up for their A/A* or firsts at University level - caution - stereotyping:
A) They are better-off students who don't get to enjoy much of it until they retire/spend it on schools/unis for their own kids
B) They lack independence. They have been listening to their parents their whole life.
C) Consequently, most Asian international students are rather childish in the way they act (mostly girls, but guys as well - interested in pokemon and stuff like that -- wtf?)
C) Most don't have boyfriends or girlfriends until they are in their twenties.

What it comes down to in the end is hard work. I just think their approach to life is critically flawed, as they want to provide for future generations, without living their life themselves.

It's rather easy to get good marks without studying as much as they do - so why be so anal about studies all the time?
Original post by Alexisonfire
What's far more interesting is what they have to give up for their A/A* or firsts at University level - caution - stereotyping:
A) They are better-off students who don't get to enjoy much of it until they retire/spend it on schools/unis for their own kids
B) They lack independence. They have been listening to their parents their whole life.
C) Consequently, most Asian international students are rather childish in the way they act (mostly girls, but guys as well - interested in pokemon and stuff like that -- wtf?)

What it comes down to in the end is hard work. I just think their approach to life is critically flawed, as they want to provide for future generations, without living their life themselves.

It's rather easy to get good marks without studying as much as they do - so why be so anal about studies all the time?

Excuse me. There is nothing wrong with Pokemon.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Check your inbox please :smile: if you don't mind.
Reply 58
Original post by Alexisonfire

different cultures, you can't expect everyone in the world to behave like british people do
Reply 59
Original post by chanizst
True they start learning english when they are very young. Think the reason why we are lazy to learn other languages is because we can speak our own language around the world. The fact that English is an international language makes people less motivated to learn something new

if you have travelled abroad you would know thats bull****, most people would probably know "yes" and "no" the basic of the basic and thats it

Quick Reply

Latest