The Student Room Group

What is my best option?

I have got D - ICT, E - Chem, E - Bio in my AS results. I've decided to pursue Computer Science and I will need to resit the year, I have two options, do a BTEC but I could probably only be able to get on a foundation course. or do Physics/Maths but seeing lots of friends fail maths and physics has discouraged me a lot. I don't know what I should do? Any tips? I got a B in GCSE maths, and A,B in double science.
Reply 1
Original post by Rembrandt343
I have got D - ICT, E - Chem, E - Bio in my AS results. I've decided to pursue Computer Science and I will need to resit the year, I have two options, do a BTEC but I could probably only be able to get on a foundation course. or do Physics/Maths but seeing lots of friends fail maths and physics has discouraged me a lot. I don't know what I should do? Any tips? I got a B in GCSE maths, and A,B in double science.

Try and identify what's stopping you from getting the grades you want/what you're finding so different about doing AS level. Talk to people (friends, parents, teachers, Nightline) about it, or even try to figure it out by sitting in a quiet place with a notepad.

Having Maths is a requirement at some uni's, so I'd recommend it, but sticking to the subjects from this year should be easier and give you more time to focus. Chemistry is meant to be exceptionally difficult.

Best of luck.
Taking into account your current results, I would suggest that you take a BTEC. The "HARD" sciences, consist of the following...

+ Further Maths
+ Maths
+ Physics
+ Chemistry
+ Biology

Im sure most would agree that in terms of difficulty (highest to lowest), this is a sensible ranking, although some may argue that Physics is harder than Maths. Either way, they are difficult A-Levels. Physics is not nearly as important as Maths, in respect to Computer Science, but it is useful. The BTEC will be a much easier approach, but it depends where you want to apply.

Some Universities will request the A-Level in Maths, at a minimum Grade B! :-)
Reply 3
Lancaster accept btec (DDD) with no alevels and gcse n eng maths grade c or above. And is top 10 uni (ranked 9) but ranked 24 for comp sci.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
Hmm, I'm still not sure I can do IT BTEC With A-Level maths or I can just take the risk of doing A-level Physics/Maths and Computing. Argh.. I dunno.
Reply 5
You can do a btec with a-levels on the side. Just depends on whether ur teachers can do it after school or on a saturday. At my college they fit it in between timetables (i don't do a level maths but no sum1 who does)

Reply 6
Original post by Tish
You can do a btec with a-levels on the side. Just depends on whether ur teachers can do it after school or on a saturday. At my college they fit it in between timetables (i don't do a level maths but no sum1 who does)

Hmm I see but it's just decisions, I was hoping for people who have been through both paths can give me some help on my decision.
Reply 7
Original post by Rembrandt343
Hmm I see but it's just decisions, I was hoping for people who have been through both paths can give me some help on my decision.

Im18 (should be in uni this sept). I did OK in my AS results but felt like it wasn't the right path so dis btec. If thats any relevance to sum1 gone down same route :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending