The Student Room Group

not mentioning course title in PS

If you don't specifically mention the course title in your PS, it's blindingly obvious that you're applying to other similar courses isn't it.

Because of my grades and other things, I probably have to apply to; marine environmental science, coastal marine biology, environmental science and marine biology. plus maybe something else, but that would have to be anglia ruskin.

All these courses interest me, but it would be easier if my grades were higher as I could look into them more and see which I wanted to do and say apply to all marine biology.

Although seeing as MES and CMB are only at one or two unis, isn't it obvious that you're going to apply to other unis for similar courses?

I don't want to ruin my chances by only applying to say CMB and MB and not getting in and always wondering if I could have gotten into the other two. Obviosuly I could mention my interests in the environment and specifically marine ecosystems blah blah blah which makes it obviosu that i'm not applying for say chemistry. Will that be good enough.
If you don't specifically mention the course title in your PS, it's blindingly obvious that you're applying to other similar courses isn't it.

Look at it through the other lens, we (people dealing with admissions) see thousands of applications a year, it's perfectly normal for people to apply for other courses - it's not something I've ever heard or as being held against people*.

* that is if they even read the personal statement but that's no help to you because you don't know if you've applied somewhere where they do read the PSs or not.
Reply 2
Original post by robertroberts
Look at it through the other lens, we (people dealing with admissions) see thousands of applications a year, it's perfectly normal for people to apply for other courses - it's not something I've ever heard or as being held against people*.

* that is if they even read the personal statement but that's no help to you because you don't know if you've applied somewhere where they do read the PSs or not.

True, but say it's something most unis do such as English, if you then apply to Media at other places then it's obvious your hearts not set on either. And unis want passionate people about the subject. But with my courses, they aren't at many unis and like with the CMB, it's only at 1 or 2 unis.
Original post by Clare~Bear
Obviosuly I could mention my interests in the environment and specifically marine ecosystems blah blah blah which makes it obviosu that i'm not applying for say chemistry. Will that be good enough.

That is absolutely fine - and more interesting to read than a load of generic "I've always liked <massively broad subject>" without any specifics.

A PS is a PERSONAL statement - talking about specifics and examples is what MAKES it personal, otherwise it ends up sounding like a jelly mould essay about generic subjects.

Just make sure that the straight ES courses you apply to DO include some element of marine environments (otherwise it might spark the idea in the admissions tutor's head that you have no idea of the course content of what you've applied for) OR include something about a non-marine specific ES topic/area that you like.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
That is absolutely fine - and more interesting to read than a load of generic "I've always liked <massively broad subject>" without any specifics.

A PS is a PERSONAL statement - talking about specifics and examples is what MAKES it personal, otherwise it ends up sounding like a jelly mould essay about generic subjects.

Just make sure that the straight ES courses you apply to DO include some element of marine environments (otherwise it might spark the idea in the admissions tutor's head that you have no idea of the course content of what you've applied for) OR include something about a non-marine specific ES topic/area that you like.

Yeah thanks, thats why I picked those certain ES courses. I'll try and be specific as possible without mentioning something that isn't on one of the courses. They've got lots in common, thats why I like them all.

Quick Reply

Latest