The Student Room Group

Applying to university to study something I enjoy or something that will get me a job

Hi,
I'm not sure if I should apply to university to study something I truly enjoy, Physics (at Oxford) or apply to university to study something that will get a job relatively quickly such as Accountancy.

The problem I have is that I'm from a poor family and my parents will stop working soon as they're very old leaving my younger sister without much. That's why I want to get a degree quite quickly so that I can get a job and start earning to support her and her studies. At the moment she's in year 7 and has certain educational disabilities (from birth) that prevent her from reaching full potential. She attends therapy which is actually cost us a lot of money also.

The problem I have is if I go into Accountancy then I may be able to support my sister, but I'll miss out on the subject I love the most, Physics. I've just gotten my AS results back getting full marks in Physics and As in Chem, Electronics and F. maths (with A* in maths at A2 taken a year early).

I really don't know what to do. It really doesn't feel right me going to study Physics while my parents will be working their asses off at such an old age to support my sister.

Can anyone please offer me some advice? :smile:

PS: Physics has quite a few job prospects but I don't think I'll be able to get anything too quickly once I graduate.
Reply 1
You could try doing a joint degree as a compromise? I don't know if you could do physics and accountancy alongside each other, but you could have a look. Alternatively talk to you parents to let them know how you are feeling about this.
Also, I think it's really kind of you to think of your family when choosing a degree :smile:
Reply 2
If you have a degree from Oxford it is likely to open a few more doors to you for jobs, regardless of what degree it is. But if you have a good degree in a science subject then that gives you a lot of job opportunities in areas that you might not expect. Employers for banks or large London stock exchanges like the skills which you gain from that kind of degree, so you could easily get a job in that field straight out of university, and it may be better paid anyway, if a few years down the line. If you have a look at university websites many say what jobs their graduates go into after degrees, that could give you a starting point, and then you could have the best of both worlds.
Do what you enjoy. If you waste your time doing something you don't enjoy you'll waste your potential. I know it's hard, but you have to be selfish at times.
Reply 4
Do what you enjoy
Reply 5
Do physics.
Reply 6
There are applied physics courses, some engineering courses have substantial physics elements. Mechanical engineering comes to mind for example, and of course, prospects are great if you do MEng. Umm... and don't think your career options are completely shut off with physics, there are careers in research (although you'd probably need a phD, which might not be the quick studying you're after to support your family). Physics graduates are also attractive in other careers outside of science. It's not easy though, I see what you're saying.

I really don't recommend jumping onto a career you don't have a passion for, you just won't be happy after all.
Reply 7
Apply for the course you would most enjoy. You will be the one having to do the work to gain your degree; don't waste the opportunity; do something you are truely interested in.

It isn't as if you are dampening your future employment opportunities. I'm sure a Physics graduate would still be able to pursue Accountancy if they so desired.
(edited 11 years ago)
You are as likely to get a job in finance with a physics degree as an accountancy one so just do what you enjoy - it will make the 3/4 years much easier on your soul!
Reply 9
Okay. Thank you all for your help and support so far. I was looking at Engineering Science at Oxford which seems to have slightly more promising job prospects but I still don't think I'll enjoy it as much as I would doing Physics. :/
Original post by geditor
Hi,
I'm not sure if I should apply to university to study something I truly enjoy, Physics (at Oxford) or apply to university to study something that will get a job relatively quickly such as Accountancy.

The problem I have is that I'm from a poor family and my parents will stop working soon as they're very old leaving my younger sister without much. That's why I want to get a degree quite quickly so that I can get a job and start earning to support her and her studies. At the moment she's in year 7 and has certain educational disabilities (from birth) that prevent her from reaching full potential. She attends therapy which is actually cost us a lot of money also.

The problem I have is if I go into Accountancy then I may be able to support my sister, but I'll miss out on the subject I love the most, Physics. I've just gotten my AS results back getting full marks in Physics and As in Chem, Electronics and F. maths (with A* in maths at A2 taken a year early).

I really don't know what to do. It really doesn't feel right me going to study Physics while my parents will be working their asses off at such an old age to support my sister.

Can anyone please offer me some advice? :smile:

PS: Physics has quite a few job prospects but I don't think I'll be able to get anything too quickly once I graduate.

dude, physics has plenty of job prospects. Even people I know who graduated with 2.2 and 3rd class degrees a year ago are employed now. I studied physics myself and have absolutely no regrets, loved the course and wouldn't exchange the understanding & appreciation it's given me for any money (well, within reason, lol). They seem to hand out (well paid) phd positions to graduates like candy too (slight exaggeration but still), that's what I'm doing right now. Plus, it's easier to stay focussed if you actually like the subject you're studying.
(edited 11 years ago)
accountancy firms would rather higher a physicist than a accountant, because the physicist probably got higher a level grades

deffo do physics, you can switch to engineering later on, or apply to accountant places at big 4, they dont require accounting as a subject
I thought this was going to be a thread about sociology vs nursing or somesuch!

Physics is a degree that makes its graduates highly employable in a wide range of careers, whereas accounting is quite limiting in some ways. There are also routes to becoming an accountant without having an accounting degree.

Do physics.
Reply 13
Physics is a very good degree to have. You can go into loads of job requiring maths skills and all sorts of graduate schemes... go with Physics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending