The Student Room Group

The A*AB problem - reapplying 2013

So my a-levels didn't go as planned. I was predicted A*AA (maths, econ, phys) but got A*AB (econ, maths, phys). I missed my offer for LSE to do economics so decided to take a year out.

I plan to retake C4 maths and A2 phys papers again in hope of ending up with A*A*A (I got 92ums in C3 and was predicted an A* but due to circumstances on the day C4 went horribly wrong and I came out with 74ums).

I was wondering if there is anyone else out there that finds themselves in the same situation?! I'd be really grateful if anyone could give some advice. Is it a good idea or will I just be better to leave my grades cos some unis don't like it when people retake units? Plus I don't wanna leave it to chance applying to a good uni and them reject me cos I have a B?

Sorry for the waffle but I just don't know what to do as I never planned this and no have no idea what I'm doing :frown: anyone comments would be appreciated...

Scroll to see replies

If I were you I'd retake them in January so you know what the grades are before decision time in May. Make sure your reference mentions how you're retaking them to acheive you're fullest potential and mentions the original grades :smile:
Firstly, have you called LSE? Especially if you have extenuating circumstances. If they said they had no places, you could ask about deferred places. If not, definitely retake your B if you want to get into a top uni like LSE. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by RibenaRockstar
If I were you I'd retake them in January so you know what the grades are before decision time in May. Make sure your reference mentions how you're retaking them to acheive you're fullest potential and mentions the original grades :smile:

I planned on retaking in jan anyway - don't think my nerves would hold out until results day in aug if I took the exams in the summer. Good point about the reference, thank you! That's exactly why I want to retake cos I know that I'm capable of it... it just didn't happen on the day which is frustrating

Original post by joker12345
Firstly, have you called LSE? Especially if you have extenuating circumstances. If they said they had no places, you could ask about deferred places. If not, definitely retake your B if you want to get into a top uni like LSE. :smile:

Yep I called LSE on the day and they said then that they couldn't offer me the place as 2 of my grades were below the asking (got the A* in the wrong subject and a B). The deadline for extentuating circumstances was mon after results day so I had the school e-mail with doctors letters and photos (I had a giant abscess on my eye which required 2wks antibiotics - long story short) and they e-mailed back saying they 'seriously reconsidered' but still couldn't offer me a place... it was a long shot but at least I tried. I'm hoping to go to St Andrews and they need AAA but I'm so worried they'll reject me cos I applied last year with A*AAa and they still rejected me :/ but that won't stop me from trying again!
Original post by rlouisea

Yep I called LSE on the day and they said then that they couldn't offer me the place as 2 of my grades were below the asking (got the A* in the wrong subject and a B). The deadline for extentuating circumstances was mon after results day so I had the school e-mail with doctors letters and photos (I had a giant abscess on my eye which required 2wks antibiotics - long story short) and they e-mailed back saying they 'seriously reconsidered' but still couldn't offer me a place... it was a long shot but at least I tried. I'm hoping to go to St Andrews and they need AAA but I'm so worried they'll reject me cos I applied last year with A*AAa and they still rejected me :/ but that won't stop me from trying again!

Oh, bad luck. Have you asked LSE whether they'd consider you next year? You have a better chance witht them since they offered you a place once already.
Reply 5
I am more or less in exact same situation as you. Got A*AB in maths economics and physics. Flopped in my last module for physics dont know what happened did really bad and missed the A by a few marks and missed my offer for economics at LSE and decided to take a year out and reapply.

I emailed LSE about reapplying with 2 more a levels (further maths and government&politics) and they said they will still consider me but I will be put at a disadvantage (obviously). Im also thinking about St andrews but they told me that A*AB does not equal AAA and it's unlikely I will get an offer but you have extenuating circumstances so maybe they will be more lenient
I'm hoping to go to St Andrews and they need AAA but I'm so worried they'll reject me cos I applied last year with A*AAa and they still rejected me :/ but that won't stop me from trying again!

If you are reapplying to St Andrews then I recommend investing a ridiculous amount of time and energy on brushing up your personal statement, as this is what they seem to place the most emphasis on.
Reply 7
I'm hoping to go to St Andrews and they need AAA but I'm so worried they'll reject me cos I applied last year with A*AAa and they still rejected me :/ but that won't stop me from trying again!

The minimum entry requirements to St Andrews may seem low, considering it is a top 10 university. But your grades are outstanding. Also, St Andrews does place a huge emphasis on the PS. Can I ask what your reasons are for applying there, if you don't mind? Is it because of the strong reputation and the prestige, or the high student satisfaction rates?
Reply 8
Oh, bad luck. Have you asked LSE whether they'd consider you next year? You have a better chance witht them since they offered you a place once already.

They already say on their website that candidates who do not achieve their results in the first sitting will be at a disadvantage. Might reapply but I don't want to waste an option

Original post by do_ob
I am more or less in exact same situation as you. Got A*AB in maths economics and physics. Flopped in my last module for physics dont know what happened did really bad and missed the A by a few marks and missed my offer for economics at LSE and decided to take a year out and reapply.

I emailed LSE about reapplying with 2 more a levels (further maths and government&politics) and they said they will still consider me but I will be put at a disadvantage (obviously). Im also thinking about St andrews but they told me that A*AB does not equal AAA and it's unlikely I will get an offer but you have extenuating circumstances so maybe they will be more lenient

Nice to hear of someone else in my situation! I guess they obvs will reconsider anyone that applies next year but we will just be at at a disadvantage if we do. I'm hoping that having an A* in econ when applying to econ at St Andrews will help me out a bit. The whole A*AB situation when applying to somewhere wanting AAA is exactly what I'm worried about this time round.

Original post by electric-wars
If you are reapplying to St Andrews then I recommend investing a ridiculous amount of time and energy on brushing up your personal statement, as this is what they seem to place the most emphasis on.

I'm guessing that my personal statement was the reason St Andrews rejected me first time round because I was confident grades-wise. It obviously was right for LSE in terms of demonstrating my mathematical interest but I think that might have been what St Andrews didn't like. Definitely going to work ridiculously hard on my personal statement this time round to try and make it perfect for there rather than LSE... it was hard this year trying to write about economics as well as putting across how much I love maths.

Original post by AviG123
The minimum entry requirements to St Andrews may seem low, considering it is a top 10 university. But your grades are outstanding. Also, St Andrews does place a huge emphasis on the PS. Can I ask what your reasons are for applying there, if you don't mind? Is it because of the strong reputation and the prestige, or the high student satisfaction rates?

That's exactly what I was thinking when I applied last year - I was confident in my grades (GCSEs were 6A*s 4As 2Bs, AS results were AAABB and I was predicted A*AA, also having taken up EPQ and further maths for yr13). Clearly my personal statement was the problem as I said above to electric-wars.

Last year I applied because of all of those things. It's a respected uni, students that go there really like it and do well and when I visited last October, it was the only uni that I'd visited where I could just see myself going - it sounds weird but it just felt right there. The people, the place, the sense of community, the teaching, everything about it is exactly what I'd want out of a uni. I probably sound like such a girl rambling on about it like this lol
You guys should consider re-marks if you are close to the grade boundary. I originally had A*AB with 1UMS off the third A. My remark went up by 6 marks and I now have A*AA. It's an annoying situation to be in, I hope it works out ect.
Reply 10
Original post by Mishmashmoo
You guys should consider re-marks if you are close to the grade boundary. I originally had A*AB with 1UMS off the third A. My remark went up by 6 marks and I now have A*AA. It's an annoying situation to be in, I hope it works out ect.

thanks :smile: I don't know about the other person but I know there's no point for me. Need to get my C4 up to at least 90 from 74 so retaking and my physics is 40ums off an A in total. I wish remarks would help but I'd need a miracle to happen to get my grades from them!
I sympathise with you as I achieved A* A* B. Furthermore, the B was 79% overall WITH a D in one exam due to illness.

I don't think I'll get an offer from a top University, and I don't particularly want to revise for an AS resit, so I'm sticking with my course for September.
thanks :smile: I don't know about the other person but I know there's no point for me. Need to get my C4 up to at least 90 from 74 so retaking and my physics is 40ums off an A in total. I wish remarks would help but I'd need a miracle to happen to get my grades from them!

You'd need 88 in C4 since you got 92 in C3. It seems unlikely but the two maths papers I've had remarked have gone up by 13 and 8 UMS!
Reply 13
Original post by GarethEvans
I sympathise with you as I achieved A* A* B. Furthermore, the B was 79% overall WITH a D in one exam due to illness.

I don't think I'll get an offer from a top University, and I don't particularly want to revise for an AS resit, so I'm sticking with my course for September.

Wow those results are still a set to be proud of! Where are you going this year and what was the original offer (subject and grades) if you don't mind me asking? I had a place at Loughborough but just didn't want to settle for somewhere when I know that I could've and should've done better.

You'd need 88 in C4 since you got 92 in C3. It seems unlikely but the two maths papers I've had remarked have gone up by 13 and 8 UMS!

oh yeah whoops, you can tell I haven't done any form of maths since June haha. You have got to be kidding about those remarks?! That's insane. It's things like that that really do make you question the marking system and how on earth a mistake like that is made.
Reply 14
I got the remark needed 4 marks. one paper went up by 2 but the other went down by 2 so in the end stayed the same 122pounds wasted :frown:
Thanks, I am proud of them, but the B at 79% is quite annoying!

Original offer was for English at King's, AAA but didn't get in with A*A*B. My subjects were English Literature, History and Welsh Second Language (so hard!). I also have AAAAA at AS and regret not taking the easier route to a likely A.

I'm going to Cardiff to study English Literature, however I do feel slightly underwhelmed with it all!
Reply 16
Did you not have an insurance choice? Or do you just really not want to go there?
Original post by GarethEvans
Thanks, I am proud of them, but the B at 79% is quite annoying!

Original offer was for English at King's, AAA but didn't get in with A*A*B. My subjects were English Literature, History and Welsh Second Language (so hard!). I also have AAAAA at AS and regret not taking the easier route to a likely A.

I'm going to Cardiff to study English Literature, however I do feel slightly underwhelmed with it all!

the injustice that A*A*B can't get you onto an AAA course. I find this to be tragic. Especially considering the fact that it's 79%, unis shouldn't turn someone down based on 1UMS mark. This B stopped me from getting into Exeter a week earlier than I have.
Reply 18
Last year I got A*AB in geography, RS and maths, and geography was the subject I was applying for! Despite my A* I still got rejected by Christ Church Oxford who wanted AAA :'( And my B was 2ums from an A!

So I went to my insurance (Sheffield) and haven't looked back! Had a great year with great new friends and I've been heavily involved in a load of social/ extra-curricular stuff to the extent that I probably couldn't have at Oxford with all the academic pressure. Not saying I wouldn't have enjoyed Oxford like a bitter reject or anything, just saying that I didn't get into my first choice and it all turned out great!

So yeah, what's your insurance choice, did you get into it, and why don't you go there? I mean I don't know your situation/ ambitions so maybe taking a year out to get into a better uni would be good for you, but a year is a long time and its gonna be pretty depressing! Keep in mind TSR romanticises the idea of top universities far more than the normal world does.
Original post by Mishmashmoo
the injustice that A*A*B can't get you onto an AAA course. I find this to be tragic. Especially considering the fact that it's 79%, unis shouldn't turn someone down based on 1UMS mark. This B stopped me from getting into Exeter a week earlier than I have.

I know, I was quite upset. Considering I got an A* in the actual subject (I would understand if THAT was a B) and 100% in the History exam. Ah well, there are more deserving candidates than myself.

I suppose you can take heart from the fact you're there now, well done and good luck with everything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending