The Student Room Group

Remark Dilemma - Please Help

Okay, so I got my results last Thursday.

In Economics, I received a B. Which was totally unexpected, I was aiming for an A* or an A at the least. (Edexcel)

In the modules, I received:

Unit 1: 81/100 (A)
Unit 2: 81/100 (A)
Unit 3: 69/80 (A)
Unit 4: 53/100 (E)

Now, I knew I could have under-performed on Unit 4 - it's the hardest unit after all. But I expected no less than a C. On the day, I took it with a pinch of salt, and shrugged, disappointedly - but overall just relieved i made my offer.

However, my teacher, who has been teaching this specification since it came out, and the previous Edexcel spec, was surprised at my results. He requested to get a photocopied script.

He's just given me a call, and said, well the essay (first part) looks okay, but for the data it looks like the examiner has completely missed my additional paper (despite me putting *cont'd on additional paper*). He said there should definitely be more marks to be had.

My dilemma is, is that if it overall gets marked down by 2 raw marks (4 UMS) i would be brought down to a C. Which obviously is not what I want. But I can't help just accepting this E grade when I feel like I should have (and probably have) achieved higher.

I'm really very angry towards the exam board for not checking the additional paper - and I have just tried to call them, but they close at 4.

My question: If it gets up-marked, it will take the module grade up, but not my overall grade - if this does happen atleast it will mean I have piece of mind. If I get a remark and it goes down, I could go on to a C overall, and I'll be even more disappointed. If you were me, would you take the risk, or accept the fact its been poorly marked and move on?
Original post by Sophie1805
Okay, so I got my results last Thursday.

In Economics, I received a B. Which was totally unexpected, I was aiming for an A* or an A at the least. (Edexcel)

In the modules, I received:

Unit 1: 81/100 (A)
Unit 2: 81/100 (A)
Unit 3: 69/80 (A)
Unit 4: 53/100 (E)

Now, I knew I could have under-performed on Unit 4 - it's the hardest unit after all. But I expected no less than a C. On the day, I took it with a pinch of salt, and shrugged, disappointedly - but overall just relieved i made my offer.

However, my teacher, who has been teaching this specification since it came out, and the previous Edexcel spec, was surprised at my results. He requested to get a photocopied script.

He's just given me a call, and said, well the essay (first part) looks okay, but for the data it looks like the examiner has completely missed my additional paper (despite me putting *cont'd on additional paper*). He said there should definitely be more marks to be had.

My dilemma is, is that if it overall gets marked down by 2 raw marks (4 UMS) i would be brought down to a C. Which obviously is not what I want. But I can't help just accepting this E grade when I feel like I should have (and probably have) achieved higher.

I'm really very angry towards the exam board for not checking the additional paper - and I have just tried to call them, but they close at 4.

My question: If it gets up-marked, it will take the module grade up, but not my overall grade - if this does happen atleast it will mean I have piece of mind. If I get a remark and it goes down, I could go on to a C overall, and I'll be even more disappointed. If you were me, would you take the risk, or accept the fact its been poorly marked and move on?

If you lose 4 UMS, then you will still have a B. If you lose more than 4 UMS, you will get a C.

By the sounds of it, your mark will almost definitely increase so long as they mark the additional paper this time. I would go for it unless you're really scared of a C. Your teachers advice on this is the most reliable - and it sounds like he agrees.

Will this have any university implications? Did you need an A* or A in economics to get your firm choice?
Reply 2
Original post by A Light Lilt
If you lose 4 UMS, then you will still have a B. If you lose more than 4 UMS, you will get a C.

By the sounds of it, your mark will almost definitely increase so long as they mark the additional paper this time. I would go for it unless you're really scared of a C. Your teachers advice on this is the most reliable - and it sounds like he agrees.

Will this have any university implications? Did you need an A* or A in economics to get your firm choice?

Well, I'm just scared that they're going to be ridiculous and decide to down-mark the first part or something! Well, I made my firm despite needing AAB and getting BBBC. But I fear turning that into BBCC will be taking the mick a bit!

I'm still undecided. I've just asked my teacher if he can mark the paper as harshly as he can now, to see what the minimum he reckons they will remark it too. That will be my deciding factor.

The disappointing thing is that I won't be able to take my overall mark up at all, so it's a lost cause? I just can't help but feel cheated though?
Original post by Sophie1805
Well, I'm just scared that they're going to be ridiculous and decide to down-mark the first part or something! Well, I made my firm despite needing AAB and getting BBBC. But I fear turning that into BBCC will be taking the mick a bit!

I'm still undecided. I've just asked my teacher if he can mark the paper as harshly as he can now, to see what the minimum he reckons they will remark it too. That will be my deciding factor.

The disappointing thing is that I won't be able to take my overall mark up at all, so it's a lost cause? I just can't help but feel cheated though?
You would have to improve by 36 UMS (go up to 89/100) on that exam to get an A. I don't know how Economics works, but that sounds like a bit far off unfortunately.

Sounds like a good course of action. You may want to also ask him how much he thinks it could improve by. I can understand the frustration, but you will get the last laugh as you're off to University anyway, and then A Levels won't mean a great deal. Well done on getting into your firm :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest