The Student Room Group

Sheffield Medicine Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Vulpes
Academically, you should be fine. Though do bear in mind that the personal statement and your reference make a significant impact on your overall application.

If it helps, here is my applicant profile from 2011 entry: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=865511&page=26&p=37409653#post37409653

Thanks for the reply and the profile link (and the reassurance!). How does Sheffield differentiate between all those personal statements and references? I mean surely they are all very similar? I have done my personal statement and I'm very happy with it (and so is my tutor) but I have no idea how it would compare to everyone else...
Reply 41
Original post by jonnyb123
Thanks for the reply and the profile link (and the reassurance!). How does Sheffield differentiate between all those personal statements and references? I mean surely they are all very similar? I have done my personal statement and I'm very happy with it (and so is my tutor) but I have no idea how it would compare to everyone else...

I recommend that you take a look at this page for more information on how they process applications.

Are you aware that we have a PS Help service on TSR?

The "Personal Statement Help" forums on TSR provide a free personal statement checking service to help you improve your PS for your university application. PS Help is a private forum to ensure complete confidentiality of your statement. Only you and the approved PS Helpers can see your statement. This keeps your statement safe from plagiarism. You will be able to receive subject specific advice from people with experience of the university application system, in addition to help with general structure and content.

TSR PS Help Wiki

If you would like to get your personal statement reviewed, you can post it in this forum: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=240

Hope that helps. :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by Vulpes
I recommend that you take a look at this page for more information on how they process applications.

Are you aware that we have a PS Help service on TSR?

The "Personal Statement Help" forums on TSR provide a free personal statement checking service to help you improve your PS for your university application. PS Help is a private forum to ensure complete confidentiality of your statement. Only you and the approved PS Helpers can see your statement. This keeps your statement safe from plagiarism. You will be able to receive subject specific advice from people with experience of the university application system, in addition to help with general structure and content.

TSR PS Help Wiki

If you would like to get your personal statement reviewed, you can post it in this forum: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=240

Hope that helps. :smile:

No that is news to me about the PS help service! Though I don't feel comfortable about putting it up on the student room, even if it is confidential...I am a bit paranoid like that. I might do it if I do feel really worried though.

Hmm well I think I can check all of the things on that link off besides leadership skills on my personal statement, and I really am not sure what to refer to in that respect...I might be doing some AS mentoring next year so I can add that into a sentence somewhere, though that's more responsibility I guess...and I already have that covered with my hospice experience with patients etc... I'll give it some thought thought though thanks. The conventional things like "captain of the sports team" don't apply to me I'm afraid!

Can I ask where else you applied and how successful you were? [EDIT] Never mind just seen on your profile!

Thanks again for the reply.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 43
No that is news to me about the PS help service! Though I don't feel comfortable about putting it up on the student room, even if it is confidential...I am a bit paranoid like that. I might do it if I do feel really worried though.

Hmm well I think I can check all of the things on that link off besides leadership skills on my personal statement, and I really am not sure what to refer to in that respect...I might be doing some AS mentoring next year so I can add that into a sentence somewhere, though that's more responsibility I guess...and I already have that covered with my hospice experience with patients etc... I'll give it some thought thought though thanks. The conventional things like "captain of the sports team" don't apply to me I'm afraid!

Can I ask where else you applied and how successful you were?

Thanks again for the reply.

Well, if it helps, UCAS is aware of our PS Help service. :smile:

Here are a couple of links which you may find helpful:
Medicine Personal Statement Writing Advice - purplefrog
Advice for People Writing their Medicine Personal Statements
Medicine Personal Statements

My whole UCAS application is shown on the applicant profile I linked you to. :h:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Vulpes
Well, if it helps, UCAS is aware of our PS Help service :smile:

Here are a couple of links which you may find helpful:
Medicine Personal Statement Writing Advice - purplefrog
Advice for People Writing their Medicine Personal Statements
Medicine Personal Statements

My whole UCAS application is shown on the applicant profile I linked you to. :h:

Your extra-curricular stuff is just AMAZING! Besides the things I mentioned I have nothing, besides playing electric guitar (but I don't do grades). I thought my long term hospice thing would make me look good, then I saw yours :eek:

Is my work experience good enough? I thought it was a plus-point but now I'm not so sure...

Thanks for the links too, I'll check them out.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45
Your extra-curricular stuff is just AMAZING! Besides the things I mentioned I have nothing, besides playing electric guitar (but I don't do grades). I thought my long term hospice thing would make me look good, then I saw yours :eek:

Is my work experience good enough? I thought it was a plus-point but now I'm not so sure...

Thanks for the links too, I'll check them out.

I had to make up for my academics with extra-curriculars. Your academics are much better than mine :tongue:

As always, it is quality, not quantity that is important. Universities want to know about how your placements have fueled your decision to study medicine, affected you, made you realise... etc
Reply 46
Original post by Vulpes
I had to make up for my academics with extra-curriculars. Your academics are much better than mine :tongue:

As always, it is quality, not quantity that is important. Universities want to know about how your placements have fueled your decision to study medicine, affected you, made you realise... etc

Ok hopefully I should be alright then, thanks for helping out!
Reply 47
Ok hopefully I should be alright then, thanks for helping out!

No problem. Glad to have helped. :awesome:
Original post by Vulpes
No problem. Glad to have helped. :awesome:

Wow your an international medic? Don't you have to pay like £25k a year? :eek:
Reply 49
Original post by EternalDoom
Wow your an international medic? Don't you have to pay like £25k a year? :eek:

£17k for the pre-clin years, £27k for the clin years iirc. :sad:
Reply 50
Anyone going to the open day on 4th September?
Reply 51
Hi :smile: I'm starting at Sheffield for medicine in a couple of weeks so am happy to answer any questions you have about the application process. Good luck everyone!
Reply 52
Original post by Pembilton
Hi :smile: I'm starting at Sheffield for medicine in a couple of weeks so am happy to answer any questions you have about the application process. Good luck everyone!

Hello, im a prospective sheffield medicine applicant. I'm applying on my gap year. I wondered what your academics and UKCAT are like? When did you get an interview eg. jan? What's your work experience and extra curricular stuff like? Thanks :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by savage903
Hello, im a prospective sheffield medicine applicant. I'm applying on my gap year. I wondered what your academics and UKCAT are like? When did you get an interview eg. jan? What's your work experience and extra curricular stuff like? Thanks :smile:

Hi :smile:

GCSEs: 10 A*s and 1 A
AS Grades: 3 As (Bio/Maths/RS) and 2 Bs (Chem/Physics)
A2 Results: 1 A* (Bio), 2 As (Chem/RS) and 1 B (Maths)
UKCAT: 740 average (VR-680, QR-720, AR-750, DA-810)

Work Experience/Volunteering:
1 week shadowing GP
2 weeks at National Institute of Medical Research
6 months (ongoing) volunteering at Cancer Hospice
1 year (ongoing) mentoring children with learning difficulties

I was quite concerned at first as I hadn't managed to get a placement at a hospital and I thought this would let my application down, but it's much more about what you can get out of your work experience rather than where you go. I kept a diary of my work experiences so I didn't forget anything later on when I went to interview.

Extra Curricular:
Orchestra, Tennis, Debate Society, Mentor, Chemistry Officer, Guides Young Leader, Bronze DofE

I got my interview for Sheffield in December. It was my first one so I was really nervous!

Good luck!
Reply 54
Original post by Pembilton
Hi :smile:

GCSEs: 10 A*s and 1 A
AS Grades: 3 As (Bio/Maths/RS) and 2 Bs (Chem/Physics)
A2 Results: 1 A* (Bio), 2 As (Chem/RS) and 1 B (Maths)
UKCAT: 740 average (VR-680, QR-720, AR-750, DA-810)

Work Experience/Volunteering:
1 week shadowing GP
2 weeks at National Institute of Medical Research
6 months (ongoing) volunteering at Cancer Hospice
1 year (ongoing) mentoring children with learning difficulties

I was quite concerned at first as I hadn't managed to get a placement at a hospital and I thought this would let my application down, but it's much more about what you can get out of your work experience rather than where you go. I kept a diary of my work experiences so I didn't forget anything later on when I went to interview.

Extra Curricular:
Orchestra, Tennis, Debate Society, Mentor, Chemistry Officer, Guides Young Leader, Bronze DofE

I got my interview for Sheffield in December. It was my first one so I was really nervous!

Good luck!

Wow your application sounds great! I only managed to get one interview last year at Leeds. Now that i've got my grades in hoping it will help me ( 3A*'s in chem, bio and physics). I'm trying to get some voluntary work in a care home atm.
Reply 55
Original post by savage903
Wow your application sounds great! I only managed to get one interview last year at Leeds. Now that i've got my grades in hoping it will help me ( 3A*'s in chem, bio and physics). I'm trying to get some voluntary work in a care home atm.

Wow! Those are great results :smile: Well done.
Original post by Vulpes
£17k for the pre-clin years, £27k for the clin years iirc. :sad:

My god...how did you cope? Did the university offer loans and stuff for international students? And here everyone in the UK is moaning that £9k is bad lol
Reply 57
Original post by EternalDoom
My god...how did you cope? Did the university offer loans and stuff for international students? And here everyone in the UK is moaning that £9k is bad lol

Nope. The university wasn't much help on that front. :sad:

Have to thank my parents for that as they're funding me through university. :love:
Original post by Vulpes
:yy:

Welcome to TSR! :hi:

Are you a Sheffield medical applicant? :smile:

Haha thank you :biggrin:
and yes i am :smile: just finished my first year and loved it! x
Reply 59
Original post by Flute-pastille
Haha thank you :biggrin:
and yes i am :smile: just finished my first year and loved it! x

Medical student* then. :biggrin:

Looking forward to neuro next year? :giggle: