Sheffield Medicine Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EternalDoom
Queen's, Keele, East Anglia, and either Sheffield / Southampton :smile:
Good Luck!

You too!!! sure youll have no problem getting an offer
Reply 81
Original post by DarkAndTwisty
Hey guys :smile: I'm applying to Sheffield, Newcastle, KCL and Birmingham (well, at the moment anyway!)

Hey what did you get for your GCSEs, just wondering because I'm thinking of applying to those places too but not Birmingham because I've been told that they require a lot of A*s at GCSE. Thanks
Reply 82
Hi,

I did my UKCAT today and had got 585 average

VR:590
QR:590
AR:610
DA:510

Do I meet the UKCAT cut of?

My current stats are;
GCSE; 2 A*s (1 in Chemistry and a short course ICT), 5 A's and 2 B's (One in Physics and One in Geography)
AS level result: ABB (A in Chemistry, B's in Economics and Biology BOTH 1-2 UMS of an A overall)
Predicted A level is AAA
Also taking the EPQ and might get a B on that (count as my 4th AS)

Do I have a shot at this university?

Thank you for reading just im very worried :/
Reply 83
Original post by king101
Hi,

I did my UKCAT today and had got 585 average

VR:590
QR:590
AR:610
DA:510

Do I meet the UKCAT cut of?

My current stats are;
GCSE; 2 A*s (1 in Chemistry and a short course ICT), 5 A's and 2 B's (One in Physics and One in Geography)
AS level result: ABB (A in Chemistry, B's in Economics and Biology BOTH 1-2 UMS of an A overall)
Predicted A level is AAA
Also taking the EPQ and might get a B on that (count as my 4th AS)

Do I have a shot at this university?

Thank you for reading just im very worried :/

Sorry to break it to you but unfortunately not. :no:

Sheffield very specifically stated that they will only consider applicants achieving above 600 in their UKCAT exam.
Reply 84
Just done my UKCAT today and got an average 620, am a little dissapointed with my score. I am a re-applicant but have never applied to sheffield. My GCSE grades are 5A* and 6A's. I got 4A's at AS and have gained 3A*'s at A2. Can anybody help me by telling me my prospects of interview? Thanks
Reply 85
Original post by savage903
Just done my UKCAT today and got an average 620, am a little dissapointed with my score. I am a re-applicant but have never applied to sheffield. My GCSE grades are 5A* and 6A's. I got 4A's at AS and have gained 3A*'s at A2. Can anybody help me by telling me my prospects of interview? Thanks

Academically, you will be fine as you have passed all their entry requirements. However, as the personal statement and reference play a big part in the selection process, no one here can tell you about the chances of you getting an interview.
Original post by Vulpes
Academically, you will be fine as you have passed all their entry requirements. However, as the personal statement and reference play a big part in the selection process, no one here can tell you about the chances of you getting an interview.

Seeing as last year's no. of applicants was 1500, do you think it will jump tremendously this year due to the cut-off being 600 for UKCAT?
Reply 87
Seeing as last year's no. of applicants was 1500, do you think it will jump tremendously this year due to the cut-off being 600 for UKCAT?

Yes, definitely. I'm not going to say "tremendously" though, although it should be expected that the number of applicants will rise significantly.

That said, I doubt the number of applicants will surpass 3500 (~ Bristol iirc).

:smile:
Original post by Vulpes
Yes, definitely. I'm not going to say "tremendously" though, although it should be expected that the number of applicants will rise significantly.

Is that Hibari from Hitman Reborn as your profile pic :tongue:

Even if i did want to change my choices out for Sheffield, only good replacement for me would be Southampton, but I'd rather risk things with a university that JUST started being PS + reference oriented rather than Southampton that have been doing it for years and reject a ridiculously large number of good applicants, and they get 3000+ applications anyway already.
Reply 89
Is that Hibari from Hitman Reborn as your profile pic :tongue:

Even if i did want to change my choices out for Sheffield, only good replacement for me would be Southampton, but I'd rather risk things with a university that JUST started being PS + reference oriented rather than Southampton that have been doing it for years and reject a ridiculously large number of good applicants, and they get 3000+ applications anyway already.

Yes it is! :biggrin:
Original post by Vulpes
Yes it is! :biggrin:

He's so cool :biggrin:
Reply 91
Hello everybody,

I'm here to ask some questions.

How is the life studying over at sheffield?
How is the teaching style like? Is it more of lecture base or PBL or its half-half?
How is the student life over there, be in living in the community, studying in the university etc.
Are the living conditions of the hostel good?

Thank you!
Reply 92
What are Sheffield looking at this year? top GCSE grades + PS and reference, or does meeting the GCSE requirements pass that stage? Thanks :smile:
Reply 93
Original post by raveen789
What are Sheffield looking at this year? top GCSE grades + PS and reference, or does meeting the GCSE requirements pass that stage? Thanks :smile:

AFAIK, meeting the academic requirements will pass "that stage" (I know what you're talking about but I can't quite describe it properly :tongue: )

So I assume the PS and reference will play a big part of the selection process for interviews.
Reply 94
Original post by Vulpes
AFAIK, meeting the academic requirements will pass "that stage" (I know what you're talking about but I can't quite describe it properly :tongue: )

So I assume the PS and reference will play a big part of the selection process for interviews.

Ok thanks a million! it seems that a very strong PS would be required! :redface:
Hi guys, I'm applying to Sheffield too. I quite liked the feel of the city when I visited. However it's not my personal first choice, mine in a rough order are:

Oxford (snowball's chance in hell)
Nottingham (please, please)
Sheffield (wouldn't mind if I had to)
Leicester (maybe...)

I got AAAA at AS, predicted A*s, I think, and a 650 average in the UKCAT. Now I just need to get around to climbing the Everest that is the personal statement :P.
Reply 96
Original post by Vulpes

sorry to butt in, but do you think everyone will be aware of this new 600 cut-off score? Numerous people i have talked to haven't, so maybe it might not rise that much this year.. *he hopes*
Reply 97
Original post by l2ob
sorry to butt in, but do you think everyone will be aware of this new 600 cut-off score? Numerous people i have talked to haven't, so maybe it might not rise that much this year.. *he hopes*

No, I don't think that a lot of people will be aware of this. :nah:
Reply 98
Hi I'm thinking of applying to Sheffield as well for Medicine.
Does Sheffield give any preference to applicants with 4A's at AS or any additional preferable weighting on good As results (e.g AAAA) that exceed their expected ABBB As results?
Reply 99
"It is expected that all examinations be taken in one sitting, unfortunately we are unable to consider examinations taken early or resit examinations."

What does this mean? I have AAA and got AAAB at AS level, but retook one AS chem exam. Does that mean I can't apply?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending