The Student Room Group

Sheffield Medicine Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by soldier007
"It is expected that all examinations be taken in one sitting, unfortunately we are unable to consider examinations taken early or resit examinations."

What does this mean? I have AAA and got AAAB at AS level, but retook one AS chem exam. Does that mean I can't apply?

I suggest you email them to confirm this, but normally, as long as all your AS / A2 modules were taken within 2 years, you should be fine. :smile:
How does everybody know that the ukcat cut off is 600? is it in their website or has someone called them?
Well if they accept ABBB at AS they would surely allow resits during the A2 year because then it might become really hard to get AAA.
Original post by raveen789
Well if they accept ABBB at AS they would surely allow resits during the A2 year because then it might become really hard to get AAA.

I see your logic there.
Reply 104
How does everybody know that the ukcat cut off is 600? is it in their website or has someone called them?

They posted on TSR a while back informing us about their change in the selection process (they used to place a heavy emphasis on the ukcat) and have also updated their admissions policy on the website. I've personally confirmed this by emailing them too. :smile:
I see your logic there.

haha :tongue:
Will a high ukcat (700+) increase your chances of getting in or will they not look at ukcat when you've got 600+.
Reply 107
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Will a high ukcat (700+) increase your chances of getting in or will they not look at ukcat when you've got 600+.

Afaik, they will take into account all aspects of your application. It may increase your chances but I have no idea by how much. :dontknow:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Vulpes
Afaik, they will take into account all aspects of your application. It will increase your chances but I have no idea by how much. :dontknow:

I;ve done really bad in my UKCAT, got an average of 607.5. Would it be reasonable of me to apply? (AS: AABB GCSE: 9A*'s)
Reply 109
I;ve done really bad in my UKCAT, got an average of 607.5. Would it be reasonable of me to apply? (AS: AABB GCSE: 9A*'s)

According to their admissions policy, you would be considered. However, like with other medical schools, there is no guarantee as the selection process takes into many factors such as your personal statement and reference.

607.5 isn't a bad UKCAT score. Don't forget that the UKCAT scores are skewed and that TSR is not a representable comparison to the overall population. :smile:
Reply 110
Original post by NaimR
Hi I'm thinking of applying to Sheffield as well for Medicine.
Does Sheffield give any preference to applicants with 4A's at AS or any additional preferable weighting on good As results (e.g AAAA) that exceed their expected ABBB As results?

Can someone answer this?
Original post by kj14
Can someone answer this?

No they dont give preference ot people with AAAA over Abbb. Confirmed by online admissions policy and E-mail.
Original post by Vulpes
According to their admissions policy, you would be considered. However, like with other medical schools, there is no guarantee as the selection process takes into many factors such as your personal statement and reference.

607.5 isn't a bad UKCAT score. Don't forget that the UKCAT scores are skewed and that TSR is not a representable comparison to the overall population. :smile:

Thank you. So i guess sheffield is very fond of an amazing personal statement!
Reply 113
Thank you. So i guess sheffield is very fond of an amazing personal statement!

No idea, as the admission policy change is still pretty recent. But I would assume it plays a significant role in the selection process. :frown:
Original post by Vulpes
No idea, as the admission policy change is still pretty recent. But I would assume it plays a significant role in the selection process. :frown:

Hmm.... So once you get ABBB, 600 in your UKCAT and meet the GCSE requirements, WHAT ELSE DO THEY WANT! They are very mysterious about this. :frown:
Did you attend sheffield's open day?
I really like sheffield, but after seeing my teachers and informing them that I'll be applying to sheffield with an avg of 607.5, they thought that I was joking. :frown:
I remember you saying that a score of 3000 won't be of any advantage over someone with 2401, is that really true? :frown: Help!

Have u looked at the admissions policy? The only requir 2400 or above this year, and Yes i did go to the openday. And they said they changed it because they relised they were cutting out good candidates with a high ukcat-cut off. So your fine with 607.5
Hmm.... So once you get ABBB, 600 in your UKCAT and meet the GCSE requirements, WHAT ELSE DO THEY WANT! They are very mysterious about this. :frown:

After that its all Ps, So if your Ps isnt high quality youll be in trouble I would think.

Another thing I noticed is the ABBB at As-level may cut people out and there resit policy on exams, Even though they dont use it, Its still on there website that your not allowed to resit exams, along with the fact people may still assume sheffield is a High ukcat cut-off university. The amount of applicants could stay the same if not drop and 900 get interviewed.
Reply 117
The only thing I'm concerned about, is that although they do state that they will consider applicants who have met all their minimum requirements, there is nothing stopping them setting an academic cutoff at some point. Technically, the applicants would still be considered, just that they did not meet the internal standard that was set based on the overall group of applicants, leading to a rejection. (if you guys get what I mean)

:dry:
Original post by Richyp22
After that its all Ps, So if your Ps isnt high quality youll be in trouble I would think.

Another thing I noticed is the ABBB at As-level may cut people out and there resit policy on exams, Even though they dont use it, Its still on there website that your not allowed to resit exams, along with the fact people may still assume sheffield is a High ukcat cut-off university. The amount of applicants could stay the same if not drop and 900 get interviewed.

Thank you richy, you've calmed me down a bit!
Original post by Vulpes
The only thing I'm concerned about, is that although they do state that they will consider applicants who have met all their minimum requirements, there is nothing stopping them setting an academic cutoff at some point. Technically, the applicants would still be considered, just that they did not meet the internal standard that was set based on the overall group of applicants, leading to a rejection. (if you guys get what I mean)

:dry:

Yes I do. :frown:
So according to your hypothesis, there might well be an "internal" UKCAT" cut-off that they don't inform applicants about? With my UKCAT score, that'll be taking a risk, even if I was considered.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending