The Student Room Group

Edexcel Further Maths (AS)?

Up until now, all of the exams I've ever taken have been CIE... So they're the only exam board I'm familiar with.

However, come September, I'll be taking AS Further Maths through Edexcel. I was just wondering if anybody had any comments on Edexcel Further Maths, the difficulty of the course, how it may compare to CIE etc
Hi,
I'm taking CIE International A-levels, including Maths. I think that CIE is definitely harder than Edexcel for all subjects, at all levels. Edexcel FM, if you've done CIE IGCSE/AS Maths, is very manageable. Edexcel FM is a somewhat harder than CIE normal A-level Maths, but if you really like maths and have the determination, go for it!

As you might know, Edexcel A-levels are modular. For AS FM, you must take three modules. Module FP1 is compulsory. Then, you can choose either one or two of FP2, M1, S1 or D1. If you choose two of these, that is it. If not, your final module can be one of FP3 (only if you took FP2), M2 (only if you took M1), S2 (only if you took S1) or D2 (only if you took D1). You can choose whether to take each module exam in either January or June.

FP1 requires knowledge of C1 and C2 only. FP2 and FP3 require knowledge of C3 and C4. The '2' units require knowledge of their respective '1' unit.

I hope I've been helpful. Good luck with FM :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Hebbamundo
Up until now, all of the exams I've ever taken have been CIE... So they're the only exam board I'm familiar with.

However, come September, I'll be taking AS Further Maths through Edexcel. I was just wondering if anybody had any comments on Edexcel Further Maths, the difficulty of the course, how it may compare to CIE etc

You have to do Maths to take Further Maths - have you already completed Maths with CIE? You may find that the choices of units you can take in Further Maths is limited by what you have already done in Maths (if you have done the normal thing and taken both Maths and Further Maths with the same exam board it is quite straight forward in that you can't repeat units but I'm not familiar with the structure of CIE.)

Quick Reply

Latest