The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Has anyone managed to sync their Aston email to Android/iPhone?

I've been trying for the past 3 hours and nothing seems to work. On Android it says my password or username is wrong and on iPhone it says can't verify the information. I followed the steps exactly as explained on the website...

Fff anyone?
Yep, it's really easy when you know how! There is info on the aston site about how to set it up, see here:
http://www1.aston.ac.uk/ict/studentguide/email/mobile-phones/
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by raspberrybubbles
Yep, it's really easy when you know how! There is info on the aston site about how to set it up, see here:
http://www1.aston.ac.uk/ict/studentguide/email/mobile-phones/

That's what I used! It just gives me a wrong username/password error when you go to the exchange bit for Android even though I'm 100% certain that it's right and on an iPhone I just get a message saying the information couldn't be verified. So annoying grr
It take a bit of time to get it to work, Android and iPhone don't have a fully compliant Exchange client so it just takes a bit of time to trick the server onto letting you on - but once you've signed in the first time you're alright.

Which devices are you trying to use and which software versions are you using?

The correct format is that your username is the full Aston email address, and the password is as it is for MAP/Blackboard/ISA
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by andrewkeith5
It take a bit of time to get it to work, Android and iPhone don't have a fully compliant Exchange client so it just takes a bit of time to trick the server onto letting you on - but once you've signed in the first time you're alright.

Which devices are you trying to use and which software versions are you using?

The correct format is that your username is the full Aston email address, and the password is as it is for MAP/Blackboard/ISA

I'm using Galaxy Note and the latest version of android and an iPad with the latest version as well. Using full email like [email protected] and password as well but it just says that user name or password is wrong under the "Domain/user name" bit.
Reply 5
Doesn't work on my iPhone, tried like 3-4 times a while ago and just gave up in the end.
Original post by 0906079
I'm using Galaxy Note and the latest version of android and an iPad with the latest version as well. Using full email like [email protected] and password as well but it just says that user name or password is wrong under the "Domain/user name" bit.

Yeah I thought so - Samsung use their own Exchange client which is about the worst I've experienced. I did manage to get it working in the end on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 though I can't remember how right now - I think you need to do it when on the mobile network not WiFi, and IIRC the domain needs to be changed, I'll have to find out what to.

It's probably the same for iPad - essentially neither client properly conforms to the auto-setup standards so it picks up the wrong settings.

EDIT: Can you try again for me, on the mobile network (not wifi), but changing the domain to "DB2PRD0103" (without quotes). It might not be exactly the right domain but it certainly needs changing.

I should add also, once it's setup all works perfectly as it should - the problem is the bad implementation by Samsung and Apple
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Yeah I thought so - Samsung use their own Exchange client which is about the worst I've experienced. I did manage to get it working in the end on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 though I can't remember how right now - I think you need to do it when on the mobile network not WiFi, and IIRC the domain needs to be changed, I'll have to find out what to.

It's probably the same for iPad - essentially neither client properly conforms to the auto-setup standards so it picks up the wrong settings.

EDIT: Can you try again for me, on the mobile network (not wifi), but changing the domain to "DB2PRD0103" (without quotes). It might not be exactly the right domain but it certainly needs changing.

I should add also, once it's setup all works perfectly as it should - the problem is the bad implementation by Samsung and Apple

Hey same problem just says wrong username/password. Tried with mobile network. On the domain/username bit did you want me to enter just that quoted text? Tried that as well still nothing.
Original post by 0906079
Hey same problem just says wrong username/password. Tried with mobile network. On the domain/username bit did you want me to enter just that quoted text? Tried that as well still nothing.

Did you enter the domain without quotes? It might also be worth trying putting .outlook.com on the end as well.

It may also not necessarily be the domain your address is on - if you have Outlook on your PC you can check for yourself when the sign-in box appears.

Can you let me know the other settings you're using or can find? (not your password/username obviously!) I try and setup my own account on my tablet again.
Reply 9
I was not aware that you could connect via exchange.

Personally I use the POP3/IMAP settings - once you logon to your emails, click on the (?) icon just below your name in the upper-right corner and select "About".

This should open a popup window with the POP3/IMAP connection details, mixed amongst various other troubleshooting information.

Personally, this is what it shows for me (username is your full email address, password is the same as MAP/emails..), YMMV:

External POP setting:
Server name: pod51002.outlook.com
Port: 995
Encryption method: SSL
External IMAP setting:
Port: 993
Encryption method: SSL
External SMTP setting:
Port: 587
Encryption method: TLS
Original post by kwah
I was not aware that you could connect via exchange.

Personally I use the POP3/IMAP settings - once you logon to your emails, click on the (?) icon just below your name in the upper-right corner and select "About".

This should open a popup window with the POP3/IMAP connection details, mixed amongst various other troubleshooting information.

Personally, this is what it shows for me (username is your full email address, password is the same as MAP/emails..), YMMV:

Exchange is much preferred to POP/IMAP - it employs much better security standards and also enables you to use the Calendar and Contacts functions, as well as push synchronisation.

While I'm here, it looks like they've moved me off the POD51002/3 server so I might have given you the wrong domain - try using POD51002 or 51003 or POD51002/3.outlook.com as the domain and that might work better :P
Reply 11
Hi

I've completed my first year and had the same issue trying to sync with my iPhone and iPad. Email [email protected], giving them your 9 digit student number and they'll sort it out. As new students passwords aren't "synced".

Hopefully that should sort it out.
It seems to be syncing the emails having followed the online guide (Android). Still set it up to forward to my gmail though as I'm not sure if exchange supports push email.

Bloody Microsoft, and at a place with such a long history as a tech oriented Uni as well! :angry:

*shakes fist at sky*
Original post by Publik Emily
It seems to be syncing the emails having followed the online guide (Android). Still set it up to forward to my gmail though as I'm not sure if exchange supports push email.

Bloody Microsoft, and at a place with such a long history as a tech oriented Uni as well! :angry:

*shakes fist at sky*

Exchange supports push (probably better than Gmail does). I'm not sure why you're complaining at Microsoft, it's not likely to be a problem with their software, it's probably either something to do with the way Aston handles accounts or something in the software on the client. Exchange and Outlook is a highly proven technology that has proven itself to be secure and reliable in numerous demanding corporate environments.
(edited 11 years ago)
Exchange supports push (probably better than Gmail does). I'm not sure why you're complaining at Microsoft, it's not likely to be a problem with their software, it's probably either something to do with the way Aston handles accounts or something in the software on the client. Exchange and Outlook is a highly proven technology that has proven itself to be secure and reliable in numerous demanding corporate environments.

TBF if anything it's to do with how the free Email client with my version of Android works. I'm just not over keen on MS anyway, of course I understand it would be nearly impossible to run the system without using one of the big name providers. Forgiving them for this: :clip: is taking a lot longer than it ought to in all honesty. :redface:

Don't suppose anyone knows the settings to use for TaskSync?

Could do with knowing the Active Directory Domain to put in. If I've got to use it I want all the features to work.:pimp:
TBF if anything it's to do with how the free Email client with my version of Android works. I'm just not over keen on MS anyway, of course I understand it would be nearly impossible to run the system without using one of the big name providers. Forgiving them for this: :clip: is taking a lot longer than it ought to in all honesty. :redface:

Don't suppose anyone knows the settings to use for TaskSync?

Could do with knowing the Active Directory Domain to put in. If I've got to use it I want all the features to work.:pimp:

Is the client not the built-in Android client? Lol I can't believe people let themselves get annoyed with that paperclip, it was so easy to get rid of...!

What on earth is TaskSync? :s The Active Directory domain is what the Autosetup often doesn't get if the client doesn't properly conform to the ActiveSync standard - the easiest way to get it is to setup your account as an Exchange account in Outlook 2007> - the security settings for Live@Edu require that you sign in every session, and the sign in box that pops up shows your domain (it'll look something like POD51003.outlook.com, the POD51003 being the Active Directory Domain.
Is the client not the built-in Android client? Lol I can't believe people let themselves get annoyed with that paperclip, it was so easy to get rid of...!

What on earth is TaskSync? :s The Active Directory domain is what the Autosetup often doesn't get if the client doesn't properly conform to the ActiveSync standard - the easiest way to get it is to setup your account as an Exchange account in Outlook 2007> - the security settings for Live@Edu require that you sign in every session, and the sign in box that pops up shows your domain (it'll look something like POD51003.outlook.com, the POD51003 being the Active Directory Domain.

It's set up, it's working, but it doesn't have the task manager bit in the built in client. Thus the separate app.
It's set up, it's working, but it doesn't have the task manager bit in the built in client. Thus the separate app.

Ahhh I see what you mean, yeah I did used to miss it not syncing tasks but I guess I've just got used to it now! I'm glad it's setup and working :smile:
Help please, I got an Ipad for Christmas and can't register my email account having tried everything

Quick Reply

Latest