The Student Room Group

Anders Behring Breivik gets 21 years in Jail - Minimum 10 years.

Scroll to see replies

20 years in prison will effectively kill him. And even after that they can review his sentence and extend it.
Reply 41
Original post by mangoh
broken britain again

Edit: realised it was in Norway.

Still a disgraceful sentence. I thought our justice system was bad.

Its always rather amusing to see people want to comment on a story to moan about laws and Britain and bla bla bla when in reality you are just embarrasing yourself as you clearly dont know anything about the sentencing.

"The indeterminate penalty, called "containment" (Norwegian: forvaring), is set at 21 years imprisonment, and the prisoner is required to serve at least 10 years before becoming eligible for parole. If the prisoner is still considered dangerous after serving the original sentence, the prisoner can receive up to five years additional containment. If the additional time is served, and the offender is still considered dangerous, a prisoner can continue to receive up to five years additional containment, and this, in theory, could result in actual life imprisonment. "Containment" is used when the prisoner is deemed a danger to society and there is a great chance of committing violent crimes in the future. However, the offender can be paroled or released at any time if it is determined that the offender is no longer a danger to society."
Reply 42
Original post by zaliack
But he's being punished for it, so it is definitely not acceptable. Alternatively, if he was declared insane, that would be saying that his actions were not his fault, which would be an insult to the victims family.

I know what you mean, but the worrying part is that it leaves behind the idea that such a terrible mass-murder can somehow be regarded as "sane". The same problems arise in war crimes and so on. I don't think he's quite sane, he even looks somewhat barking, frankly.
Reply 43
Original post by MattKneale
Did I say that? Stop using crappy straw man arguments, but yes the definition for a psychopath in this sense is to commit violent acts without any remorse for what you have done.

How is asking a question a "straw man argument"?
Original post by Kibalchich
How is asking a question a "straw man argument"?

You were implying my position by asking a rhetorical question (the second one), when I suggested no such thing from my original comments. Straw man.
Reply 45
Glad they deemed him sane. Hope he doesn't ever come out.
Reply 46
they have lower re-offending rates over in norway and crime is also alot less in general, clearly they're doing something right
Reply 47
You were implying my position by asking a rhetorical question (the second one), when I suggested no such thing from my original comments. Straw man.

I asked a question. Its an interesting point I think. It is common discourse to assume that mass murderers are "mad". Breivik is a mass murderer, so must be "mad". Yet he murdered for political reasons. Are all political killers "mad"? The 9/11 plotters? The 7/7 bombers? IRA bombers? What about politicians who start wars? Are they "mad"?
Reply 48
he should be in guantanamo bay because believe it or not he is a terrorist too
Reply 49
Astonishing. Can't wait till Breivik comes out and releases his "Mein kampf". This will be a hit.

Seriously, guy should work all his time in labour camp for doing such thing. Now, he will live in three room prison with computer. Idiocy at its best.
They should let him in with the general prison population and see how long he lasts.

The sad fact is he won't be and that the Norwegian is probably the most comftorable in the world just look at this the place he will most likley be staying or somewhere he will be staying at least this man does not deserve to live in such conditions.

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1989083,00.html
Reply 51
That's not what I meant, I think there is a good argument for him being insane -- doing what he did with no remorse or guilt is the definition of a psychopath. He just wanted to be declared sane so that his ideals held more weight than if he were insane.

In his plans he detailed how he was going to listen to music through an mp3 player during the event to deal with his nerves. A psychopath wouldn't have this problem. He is not a psychopath.
Reply 52
Original post by Scienceisgood
Anders Breivik, the man who killed 77 people and further injuring another 200 people in a mass shooting on an island in Utøya. He was declared sane and as the title suggests has been sentenced to 21 years, of which he will serve a minimum of 10 years.

Confused as to why the guy who made Megaupload gets 50 years and this guy serves only 10, that is less than 4 months per life taken not to mention the hundreds he injured. :confused:

Norway like the UK has soft justice.....

They like us need capital punishment back so that criminals like Breivik can get the treatment they deserve.
Reply 53
Original post by Shabalala
They should let him in with the general prison population and see how long he lasts.

The sad fact is he won't be and that the Norwegian is probably the most comftorable in the world just look at this the place he will most likley be staying or somewhere he will be staying at least this man does not deserve to live in such conditions.

The prison staff doubt he'll be there until at least half way through his sentence.
Reply 54
Original post by Shabalala

I wonder if he will have access to the web? If so, we will probably be hearing his "views" for the next generation or two whilst the victims families are left to mourn.

Norway seems to be the multiple victim of its laxity towards offenders and social relaxation, not to mention the ease of access to guns. In the UK I feel fairly confident the police would have shot this lunatic dead at the scene.
I completely agree with the OP its ridiculous how someone who has killed 77 people only gets 21 years in prison! It's disgraceful! People who murder and have the mental awareness of the impacts of their actions should get life in prison! Madoff stole millions which is disgusting too but he didn't murder anyone in cold blood yet he got 100+ years in prison.
Original post by suncake
I heard on the news that in Norway, they can extend the sentence at the end of the initial term for 5 years at a time... So every 5 years, they could extend the term by another 5 years. Seems a bit of a kerfuffle, they should totally just lock him up forever and leave him to rot, but at least he probably won't only be serving 21.

That would involve changing the laws though - a far greater kerfuffle!

Plus, quite rightly in my opinion, Norwegians are rather proud that their justice system is focused on rehabilitation, not arbitrary punishments. I personally find the typical Western (and probably global come to think of it) response of "lock them up in sub-human conditions - that will surely be more effective at turning them into a decent human being than treating them well, showing them respect and training/teaching them how to become a productive member of society" rather sickening!

All the stats show the exact opposite, yet people have a desire to see others suffer - all seems rather pointless and counter-productive to me (excluding cases like this of course - rehabilitating him seems rather impossible!).
Original post by dj1015
Norway like the UK has soft justice.....

They like us need capital punishment back so that criminals like Breivik can get the treatment they deserve.

I'm personally not a fan of capital punishment it should be life in prison
If he is rehabilitated after 21 years he should be released, keeping him locked up isnt going to bring anyone back to life. Rehabilitation is the only aim of the Norway prison system and it should remain that way.
Original post by gooner4ever
I completely agree with the OP its ridiculous how someone who has killed 77 people only gets 21 years in prison! It's disgraceful! People who murder and have the mental awareness of the impacts of their actions should get life in prison! Madoff stole millions which is disgusting too but he didn't murder anyone in cold blood yet he got 100+ years in prison.

How is that remotely relevant? The US has a lust for locking people up (they have 5% of the worlds population yet 25% of the worlds prison population), Norway has a desire to do what's best for society and the prisoner.

Though as has already been mentioned MANY, MANY times, he will be serving well in excess of 21 years...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending