The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford postgraduate applicants 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by merqoperatic
Question for the body, since I just got my email set up (woo!): do postgrads tend to use their college-domain email address or their department-domain one?

The majority of my friends use their department one, unless they're part of the college MCR committee and are giving out their email so that people can ask them committee questions, in which case they give out the college one.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Holy crap, I only mailed the contract last Friday and I received the email from IT last night! Setting up the account is so exciting!!!

By the way, I've been meaning to ask, in your experience(s), do colleges allow you to receive visitors? I'll elaborate: my sister might come visit me in December, and I am wondering if she can stay with me, in my college room? (I've already checked and my college doesn't require you to move out, as the tenancy period is 42 weeks)
Original post by cosmonaut1
Holy crap, I only mailed the contract last Friday and I received the email from IT last night! Setting up the account is so exciting!!!

By the way, I've been meaning to ask, in your experience(s), do colleges allow you to receive visitors? I'll elaborate: my sister might come visit me in December, and I am wondering if she can stay with me, in my college room? (I've already checked and my college doesn't require you to move out, as the tenancy period is 42 weeks)

Yeah, it's fine, just don't tell anyone.
Original post by Sepharadim
.....we have two????
:eek::eek::eek:

Or is it just you lucky DPhils....because I only have my college one at the moment.

Well two names for the original account. Maybe it is only DPhil - but check at
https://webauth.ox.ac.uk/login
Which will tell you your college address, department address and the nexus address that both are routed to.
.....we have two????

Or is it just you lucky DPhils....because I only have my college one at the moment.

It's not just DPhils, it's master's (and undergrads too, I think) but like Jack Sheppard said, you can check on webauth.
How bad does one need a UK bank account (as an EU citizen)?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zefiros

I would advise getting one. I suppose it depends, but there are a few things you can't do without a UK account:
- set up direct debits for bills, i.e. TV license (if you plan on watching any BBC/ITV/C4), mobile phone, electricity
- work. No employer will pay you cash in hand, & you might get an opportunity to do a few hours here and there, i.e. paid research.
- get a mobile contract. If you're happy with pay-as-you-go, I guess it doesn't matter, but it's a bit of a faff.
I can't imagine living without a bank account - whenever I lived abroad, it was always the first thing I did, and the great thing about the UK is that although it is a pain to set up an account, there isn't a monthly charge as there is in many EU countries, so having one won't cost you anything. It might save you money if there are extra charges on buying in sterling from your own bank (they ALWAYS give you the worst ever currency rate).
Original post by {the_violinist}
I thought the conditions didn't have to be met until the end of next month?

I don't know if this varies from faculty to faculty or student to student or what, but my offer was definitely the 31st of July. :frown:
.....we have two????

We do! The default for me was my college account (if you go to Nexus and send yourself an email you can see what address shows) but if you want to switch to the department email go to https://register.it.ox.ac.uk/self/nexus , select "Preferred email address settings," hit submit, and you can switch there.
Original post by Zefiros

Do you get charged for using your account abroad? Lots of banks charge for cash withdrawal and paying on a debit card, in which case a UK card will be a cheaper option!
.....we have two????

I currently only have a college one (after registering with IT services this morning) - I think it takes some time to come through.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Historiadora
I don't know if this varies from faculty to faculty or student to student or what, but my offer was definitely the 31st of July. :frown:

It must change from department to department - 'cause I checked and mine is august (plus the department seem pretty uncaring I'm only putting my transcripts in the post this week after they didn't reply to my email for nearly 3 weeks to confirm where to post said transcripts too :P )

What department are you in, if you don't mind me asking? Also I wonder if it's a difference between taught vs. research degrees?
Original post by matt2k8
I currently only have a college one (after registering with IT services this morning) - I think it takes some time to come through.

You have a department one too, it's just that the college address is set as your default.
Original post by matt2k8

Test it: email yourself:
1. [email protected]
2. [email protected]
3. [OSS username] [email protected]

It's essentially three names for the same account - they all arrive in the same inbox, they're not separate accounts, everything is routed to the same inbox.
Original post by Historiadora
Back after an absence of about a month (graduation + travel!), and now starting to worry again about the Oxford situation. I missed an exam and have to retake it sometime next month, so until I do that Oxford can't sign off on my academic conditions (despite the fact that even with a 0 in the exam I've met them). This would probably fine if I didn't have to apply for a Visa!

I've spoken to my department and they said it should be alright even though the deadline for meeting conditions is the 31st of this month. I'm still worried, though, because I feel that, until I have my unconditional offer, Oxford and funding are a mirage that could disappear at any point.

I'm considering calling my department again, and explaining my situation to my college. Is this a good idea?

I totally feel your pain. I've just submitted my Masters thesis, and am waiting on the results from that and for all the admin things to be signed off before my offer will be Unconditional - and I tell you, the wait is killing me! I'm leaving my home country in two weeks and really want everything settled and sorted. Fingers crossed.

My department have told me that they can add a couple of weeks to the deadline, as long as they know in advance that they will need to extend it. Hopefully yours can do the same!!
Anyone tried deferring their offer? If so, what's the process been like/how successful were you?
Original post by xclaraxx
Anyone tried deferring their offer? If so, what's the process been like/how successful were you?

I asked about deferring my offer because I was in hospital during exams so I wasn't sure if I would meet my conditions.

My department told me that they don't allow students to defer but I was welcome to reapply next year, though that could vary between departments.
Original post by ChelseaYvonne
I asked about deferring my offer because I was in hospital during exams so I wasn't sure if I would meet my conditions.

My department told me that they don't allow students to defer but I was welcome to reapply next year, though that could vary between departments.

Do you mind sharing which department this is? Figured I would find out as much about it before trying my luck.
Original post by ChelseaYvonne

Wow, crazy. Mine (English) have said they can defer me for at least a semester. I would hate to risk reapplying!
Original post by xclaraxx
Do you mind sharing which department this is? Figured I would find out as much about it before trying my luck.

Department of Education.

Quick Reply

Latest