The Student Room Group

Entry onto Computer Science Course Possible?

Hi, I have just wanted to kno whether I have a chance of studying CS at either, Imperial, king's, royal holloway, city or brunel.
My gcse results were:
maths- A*
English lang and lit- C,C
Triple Science- A,A,A
Business- C
BTEC level 2 IT- Distinction*
BTEC level 2 Construction- Distinction*
FSMQ Maths- D (flopped!)

A levels I wish to study are Maths, Physics, Computing & Electronics.
Also, which a level can I afford to drop after 1 year?

Thanks soo much! Im really worried whether I can attend any of these unis.
Based on the GCSEs yeah you could probably go to any of those, I dont know anything about BTECs but I know Imperial don't like GCSE or A level equivalents.
The thing is GCSEs dont mean a huge amount at any of those universities, only Imperial and possibly Kings would take them into account and even then they dont have a huge bearing. The most important thing is your predicted A levels, so make sure you do well at AS level.

In regards to what you can afford to drop, probably anything but Maths. Most places only ever want Maths A level and the other two are up to you, I think I personally would drop Electronics because I dont think it would be helpful. Its also worth noting not every 6th Form/College offers Computing so therefore its never asked as an entry requirement and you wont be at a disadvantage if you do drop it.
Reply 2
Whilst those top unis would look at your GCSEs, in the end of the day, the decision will be based on your A levels.

If you get A*AAa in A level, they're not going to look back and say "Oh but we can't take him cus he got a C 4 years ago in English language GCSE". See what I mean?

My point is, you'll be fine if you work hard on your Alevels.
Reply 3
Having applied to three of those unis for computer science, I have this to say:

Imperial and other top unis LOVE maths. If you apply here an A* will be absolutely required in maths and if you don't do further maths, you will be at a disadvantage. At the interview day it seemed everyone was doing maths, fm, physics and another hard science. Computing a level is less liked than fm I fear.

City university seems to like maths, but their offer (last year at least) was 360 pts. The admissions tutor told me after clearing the average score would be closer to 320.

The offer I and another person at my college got for kings cs was aab with one of these in maths, computing or electronics. Quite low I think, considering they are in the Russell group.

I'd recommend you do maths and computing. If you're applying for imperial, fm will help you a lot. otherwise, pick a levels you think you can do well in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending