Original post by pepeeglesfield
I'd say

1)dentistry & medicine
2)Mathematics
3)physics
4)engineering (all)
5)computer science

...? :colone:

negging is rather sad really...not that it bothers me in the slightest..neg away..

How dare you not put Chemistry in the top 5, you weasel.
Original post by niels-bohr
How dare you not put Chemistry in the top 5, you weasel.

feel free to create your own top 5. That was just a suggestion, and just like the 7 billion other people on this planet I have my own opinion..
Original post by Politricks
I wouldn't say that Dentistry or Medicine is the most challenging degree, do you get that perception based on the fact that it's one of the most competitive degrees? Competitiveness is not the same as difficulty, I think this is why people are negging you.

Yes thats understandable, I meant challenging in general i.e application process etc included, at least you were able to articulate your opinion as opposed to ignorantly pressing the overly abused negative rate button..
#1: Chemical engineering MEng
#2: Econometrics BSc / Mathematics MMath
#3: Aeronautical / automotive engineering MEng / Theoretical physics MSci
#4: Law
#5: English lit / ANY language
#6: Medicine
#7: I've run out of ideas' - apologies.
Vet medicine :smile:
Yes thats understandable, I meant challenging in general i.e application process etc included, at least you were able to articulate your opinion as opposed to ignorantly pressing the overly abused negative rate button..

Normally when people are talking about how challenging a degree is, they mean the actual course content; the application process isn't really relevant.
Re: Top 10 most challenging degrees..?

I'd say

1)dentistry & medicine
2)Mathematics
3)physics
4)engineering (all)
5)computer science

negging is rather sad really...not that it bothers me in the slightest..neg away..

I can see why maths is on your list :frown:

Or is it a memory/logic problem :p:
Original post by zaliack
Personally, law is a lot easier once you get a grasp of issue identification applying the law, OSCOLA and a good routine. Obviously everyone still has to put a lot into studying, but that's just hours not difficulty.

If someone disagrees, then explain why at least.

No, some points, if you're doing things properly, are just difficult. It is difficult, on reading the muddled cases, to get the law straight on accessorial liability and joint enterprise for criminal law. Likewise, if you think the theory of parliamentary sovereignty requires hours of study but is easy, you're not thinking about the material properly.
Original post by Politricks
Normally when people are talking about how challenging a degree is, they mean the actual course content; the application process isn't really relevant.

well I'm sorry I mislead you.
Reply 69
The percentage of first class honours awarded in each subject is irrelevant (if you don't know why then do so research lol).

In terms of UK degrees it's all subjective but I would have thought that the Maths tripos at Cambridge is definitely the hardest (it would have the highest fail rate if everyone took it). I'm not a biased mathmo either as I'm off to study economics at Cambridge. TBH though from what I've heard dentistry/medicine aren't nearly as academically challenging compared to SOME other subjects - there is just a high workload.
(edited 11 years ago)
Im surprised only one person has mentioned vet med. I've lived with vets and my boyfriend is also one and the workload they have is CRAZY. Plus, they are not just learning one anatomy and the related ailments, but many different ones for various species. I do not envy their workload at all. I look at some of the stuff sometimes and it just blows my mind lol.

Of course, everything is subjective. Any science and maths based degrees are things that I would find incredibly challenging as my brain doesn't work that way. I found my degree challenging, but I would struggle outside the Arts I think.
Original post by pop101
But in terms of challenging, these 2 are, as they require high thinking/logical ability. And both forms require you to think in other ways, not linear i.e to solve a Maths problem, there is more than 1 way.
You may be right as they would think differently, a mathematician would think more abstractly as he/she works with complex formulas of which they have interest in, whereas Philosopher are more interested in the 'Why's?' of the world around them and life and see these differently from the 'average' person.
Basically, both degrees involve high thinking, logical and problem solving ability and are therefore challenging.

Agreed
I never doubted this I study both Maths and Philosophy at a level and yes they are challenging. The question was whether or not they require similar application and I would say they do not in some cases. Nevertheless I agree with the above.
:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by RollandGarros
Dentistry and Medicine is not challenging in the same way that Engineering and Mathematics is.

With the latter you get a ton of work, which is exceptionally difficult, you need to use complex forumalas and it can drive you mad. With the former, it's just a ton of work, not particularly difficult, often memory.

Yeah I agree. MEng FTW :biggrin:
Don't know about top 10 but I've heard the hardest by far is B.Sc. (Hons.) Subjective List-making
I'd say

1)dentistry & medicine
2)Mathematics
3)physics
4)engineering (all)
5)computer science

A lot of people are saying its all subjective- honestly its not.
Intelligence, and thus the difficulty of a subject, can be categorised into cognitive abilities, that is:

Memory
Problem-solving
Speed ( rate at which you can process info)
Flexibility (multi-tasking)
Creativity

the hardest degree (subject) is merely the degree which exercises most of these cognitive attributes and the extent to which it does so.
that's how you objectively judge the difficulty of a degree, or any discourse for that matter.
Reply 75
Original post by FuLLuPMepOrtION
#1: Chemical engineering MEng
#2: Econometrics BSc / Mathematics MMath
#3: Aeronautical / automotive engineering MEng / Theoretical physics MSci
#4: Law
#5: English lit / ANY language
#6: Medicine
#7: I've run out of ideas' - apologies.

i agree that bsc economics is difficult. is the maths that make it more difficult or the theory, compared to a ba
Reply 76
This is all a little pointless. You can only really properly judge your own one (or fewer) degrees because you'll have inadequate experience of any others. Then it'll also depend on your personal abilities, strengths, weaknesses, interests, individual options within a particular course, and the institution. If the OP was aiming to establish some kind of ranking of prestige of different degree subjects, it's pretty stupid because they should just do what they're good at, like and would lead to a career they're interested in.
Original post by Ladyliesel
It's subjective. You're never going to get a clear answer.

evidently not with an answer like yours. However if everyone was to comment their top 10 you could determine a common trend and therefore gauge which ones most people agree on. And I never said I wanted a clear answer, just wanted to hear other peoples opinions.
Reply 78
My degree is going to be pretty damned challenging given everything I am having to juggle alongside it.
Don't think anyone would agree if I stated the subject though :/
Original post by jo1692
This is all a little pointless. You can only really properly judge your own one (or fewer) degrees because you'll have inadequate experience of any others. Then it'll also depend on your personal abilities, strengths, weaknesses, interests, individual options within a particular course, and the institution. If the OP was aiming to establish some kind of ranking of prestige of different degree subjects, it's pretty stupid because they should just do what they're good at, like and would lead to a career they're interested in.

Either you can't read or you've missed the point, I didn't ask for you're opinion on my thread...what I want is in the title. Obviously it is going to be subjective..much like the marking of english yet we still had to do it.

Quick Reply

Latest