The Student Room Group

Engineering pre uni gap year programs?

i know about Year in Industry and have applied there ... Does anyone know of any other programs out there or any companies I could apply to directly that would consider taking me on?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Rolls royce do a scheme for 16 to 19 year olds where you get a chance at work experience but I think it only lasts a few weeks. If any company does a scheme for pre uni students it will be similar to the rolls royce one, I doubt any will do a proper 12 month work placement as you haven't actually studied any engineering yet and as a result wont really be able to take up such work. However in saying that there is no reason why you couldn't email various companies and ask if they have any positions for people like yourself. You never know they may need a part timer to do odd end jobs, it wont be proper engineering work but the experience will be invaluable and having that on your cv before you even start uni and apply for proper placements will give you a great advantage.

Also instead of looking on websites for placements and jobs, try enquiring directly to the site you want to work at because like I said most companies wont offer pre uni placements and if you contact the main office they will just tell you they don't have such pre uni schemes or dont offer odd end jobs. However if you phone or visit the site directly then you could possibly talk to one of the managers who may be more inclined find you some sort of work in the site. I managed to get a work placement at a munitions company despite them not actually offering placements because I went directly to the site and spoke to the manager who just basically employed me on a 4 month temporary contract for the summer.
Reply 2
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Rolls royce do a scheme for 16 to 19 year olds where you get a chance at work experience but I think it only lasts a few weeks. If any company does a scheme for pre uni students it will be similar to the rolls royce one, I doubt any will do a proper 12 month work placement as you haven't actually studied any engineering yet and as a result wont really be able to take up such work. However in saying that there is no reason why you couldn't email various companies and ask if they have any positions for people like yourself. You never know they may need a part timer to do odd end jobs, it wont be proper engineering work but the experience will be invaluable and having that on your cv before you even start uni and apply for proper placements will give you a great advantage.

Also instead of looking on websites for placements and jobs, try enquiring directly to the site you want to work at because like I said most companies wont offer pre uni placements and if you contact the main office they will just tell you they don't have such pre uni schemes or dont offer odd end jobs. However if you phone or visit the site directly then you could possibly talk to one of the managers who may be more inclined find you some sort of work in the site. I managed to get a work placement at a munitions company despite them not actually offering placements because I went directly to the site and spoke to the manager who just basically employed me on a 4 month temporary contract for the summer.

any advice on companies to approach mate
Original post by melevin9
any advice on companies to approach mate

Any that are near you, honestly just try them all. However firms I always look are, BAE systems, rolls royce, any car manufacturers, Philips, siemens (or just electronics firms in gerneral) and any energy company.
Reply 4
I'm also on an engineering gap year. I applied through YinI butI didn't really find anything suitable, so I started sending off letters with my CV to any local companies.
Also if you know anyone involved in engineering, ask if they can give you a placement. And start as soon as possible- I started too late really

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5360
Reply 5
I was wondering in first year of uni are all engineering students together in one lecture hall (civil,mechanical,electrical etc...)
Like how medicine and dentistry students study together first year??? Just wondering

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by stunnaman
I was wondering in first year of uni are all engineering students together in one lecture hall (civil,mechanical,electrical etc...)
Like how medicine and dentistry students study together first year??? Just wondering

In many unis for subject like maths your not only in a class with other Eng student but maths and science students. Then there may be modules you take that other eng students take i.e. an EEE students will take some modules that energy systems students and mech eng students take. But it all depends on your uni.
Reply 7
In many unis for subject like maths your not only in a class with other Eng student but maths and science students. Then there may be modules you take that other eng students take i.e. an EEE students will take some modules that energy systems students and mech eng students take. But it all depends on your uni.

Oh so we may share certain lectures.. So it's not like wer always in the same lecture hall with a certain batch of students? Or...? Sorry in just confused how uni works lol

Original post by stunnaman
Oh so we may share certain lectures.. So it's not like wer always in the same lecture hall with a certain batch of students? Or...? Sorry in just confused how uni works lol

No. It's is a bit confusing, the best way to explain it is a university will offer say 200 (may be more or less) different engineering modules and of these each course will pick about 40 modules out of the 200 modules to make up their degree. So for examply an Electronic and elctrical degree will be made up of roughly 40 modules based on electrical subjects, and a mech eng degree will pick the same amount but mostly based on mechanical subject, however, there will be a few subjects that both mech eng and eee courses do. For example electircal and mechanical priciples is a module both eee students and mech students will study.

Infact there may be times that you are the only one in your course in a certain class, because in 3rd and sometimes 2nd year you are allowed to pick and choose some engineering modules, so say you are studing civil engineering but you decide to pick a digital electronics module, you may very well be the only civil eng student in that class. Certainly you'll never be in the same class with the same people all the time.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
No. It's is a bit confusing, the best way to explain it is a university will offer say 200 (may be more or less) different engineering modules and of these each course will pick about 40 modules out of the 200 modules to make up their degree. So for examply an Electronic and elctrical degree will be made up of roughly 40 modules based on electrical subjects, and a mech eng degree will pick the same amount but mostly based on mechanical subject, however, there will be a few subjects that both mech eng and eee courses do. For example electircal and mechanical priciples is a module both eee students and mech students will study.

Infact there may be times that you are the only one in your course in a certain class, because in 3rd and sometimes 2nd year you are allowed to pick and choose some engineering modules, so say you are studing civil engineering but you decide to pick a digital electronics module, you may very well be the only civil eng student in that class. Certainly you'll never be in the same class with the same people all the time.

Ohhhhh I get it now!! That's is so different from how college/school works then lol. Thanks for the information much appreciated :smile:

Reply 10
is anyone else doing mechanical/aeronautical engineering and looking for relevant work experience. if so could you tell me of good companies to approach
Reply 11
Original post by melevin9
i know about Year in Industry and have applied there ... Does anyone know of any other programs out there or any companies I could apply to directly that would consider taking me on?

Thanks in advance :smile:

have you got any placements yet
Original post by Tingle8
I'm also on an engineering gap year. I applied through YinI butI didn't really find anything suitable, so I started sending off letters with my CV to any local companies.
Also if you know anyone involved in engineering, ask if they can give you a placement. And start as soon as possible- I started too late really

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5360

Me too. I'm in the exact same position as you. I applied at the start of August and nothing has been found for me. Slightly annoyed I paid £25 for nothing. What are you planning on doing instead?
Reply 13
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
Me too. I'm in the exact same position as you. I applied at the start of August and nothing has been found for me. Slightly annoyed I paid £25 for nothing. What are you planning on doing instead?

I signed up to YinI late, too, so haven't been successful in finding anything. I decided that if I couldn't secure a placement this year then I would do one a couple of years into my degree. I asked YinI if, given my situation, I could use their services when I would be applying for placements (probably at the start of my second year) and they were very positive and said that I would not have to pay another registration fee, but would have to attend another interview/update my CV which is fine with me. Maybe you could consider something like this unless you are certain you want a pre-uni gap year? :smile:
Original post by Bromine
I signed up to YinI late, too, so haven't been successful in finding anything. I decided that if I couldn't secure a placement this year then I would do one a couple of years into my degree. I asked YinI if, given my situation, I could use their services when I would be applying for placements (probably at the start of my second year) and they were very positive and said that I would not have to pay another registration fee, but would have to attend another interview/update my CV which is fine with me. Maybe you could consider something like this unless you are certain you want a pre-uni gap year? :smile:

I've also been thinking of doing that. I just feel like i'm wasting this year now. I guess I could just earn some extra money with an ordinary job or something. I might do it after my second year too. I guess i'm only to blame as I applied so late. Those interview things were annoying. Had to spend the whole day unnecessarily at the university of Westminster.

Quick Reply

Latest