The Student Room Group

one day in life as a law student

i am going to study law in Uni of Leicester this Oct.
I would like to know how much time approx. I have to spend on revision/doing extra reading etc., but all I could find were some old threads. Can someone please share your daily routine ?
Also if I am being a stupid **** and I should have found some in tsr, please give me the link :smile:
Any sharing appreciated !

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1
Posting something random to "watch this thread". Sorry for the disappointment.
Reply 2
Well.. today I spent all day applying for mini-pupillages, and this is out of term time.

Last year, my typical Monday was this:

Wake up at 7 and get dressed, eat etc. Get on train at 10 to get to uni by 11.

Attend lecture 11-1.

Study + eat 1-3

Lecture 4-6

Home by 7:30.

Have dinner.

Study from 8-1.
Reply 3
study from 8-1 O_o
do you do that every Monday or every day?
damn I hope my flatmates are not noisy :L

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my MT15i
Reply 4
Original post by ray_charlene
I would like to know how much time approx. I have to spend on revision/doing extra reading etc., but all I could find were some old threads. Can someone please share your daily routine ?
Also if I am being a stupid **** and I should have found some in tsr, please give me the link :smile:

Wake up 10
Work from 10.30-1
Lunch 1-2.30
Maybe go to a lecture, class, or tutorial in the afternoon
Work a bit more before supper at like 7
Go out, see friends, drink
optional extra bit of cheeky work from like midnight - 2/3am

Obviously I'm missing a lot of lectures here but I didn't find them very useful, I preferred to work alone.
Most law type people seem to become nocturnal and develop extreme caffeine addictions. During the later stages - especially on the barrister side of things, caffeine is supplemented with copious amounts of alcohol.

It has been a year since I graduated, but my typical routine would be:

0700: Wake up, have breakfast/shower etc.
0745: Leave home and commute to uni.
0830: Arrive at uni, head into the computer room (via the coffee shop) to meet friends, have a chat, check emails. Unless I have a 9am lecture, I will stay here and make a start on work.
0900 - 1600: Between these hours, it is a mix of attending lectures and small group sessions, eating, drinking tea/coffee and cramming in as much reading/research as possible.
1600: Apart from my third year, all teaching was over by 4pm. Sometimes I would spend some time in the library, but usually I would head back home.
1700: At home, it is dinner time. Usually I would then spend some time reading through the days notes and getting ready for the next day.

Obviously on some days I was in uni later than others. I would always try and work 9-5 no matter what times I was at uni. This meant that while I would have full days of work, I often had a large part of my evening to myself and the weekends were clear for me to hold down a part time job.

For what it is worth (may be of some interest to someone) bar school was a bit different. The work load was a little higher and I mixed in a lot more extra curricular stuff: pro bono work, debating as well as attending dining sessions at the Inn. It was quite hard to keep a strict routine as the workload changed a lot: there would be a few weeks with loads of work to do and then it would die down for a week or so. I quite enjoyed it though - one became quite adept at making the most of every second of downtime: whether that be time on the train, a break between lessons or an unexpected gap in the time table.

One also became quite good at getting work done in a very short space of time: at undergrad level, a 4000 word essay would be an end of semester project, yet on the bar course it would be tutorial prep and completed within a week if you were mega organised and between the hours of 1am and 3am if you were not so orgainised!
Reply 6
study from 8-1 O_o
do you do that every Monday or every day?
damn I hope my flatmates are not noisy :L

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my MT15i

Well, I'll go through my entire week if you want! Although most students routine will be different because I've got a young daughter, the work load should be the same (If your aiming for a high 2:1/1st at least... The people who didn't care about first year grades practically never studied for tutorials, and only studied a couple days before exam)

Tuesday:

Wake up 6, have breakfast etc
Get to uni by 11 for 2 1 hour tutorials
1-4 study
4-6 tutorials
Home by 7:30, dinner and then sleep (Never studied on tutorial days)

Wednesday:

Wake up 6, break fast etc.
Spent time with my daughter until 12ish.
12-5 study
6-8 dinner, put her to bed etc.
8-11 study

Thursday was the same as Monday, except I only studied until midnight

Fridays were my day off :smile:

Saturday:

Wake up 8ish, breakfast etc
Study 9 - 12
Lunch at 12ish
1-6 study
7-9 dinner, put her to be etc.
9-2 study and then fall asleep at desk.

Sunday:

Day off until 5.
5-12 study.

roh
:smile:

You're a Leicester law student, right? You might be able to give the best answer to the OP :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by gethsemane342
You're a Leicester law student, right? You might be able to give the best answer to the OP :smile:

Indeed I am, will try to help :smile:

Some of this will be irrelevant to you OP as they're my own ECs but thought I'd put them in as it shows you what sort of time you have free.

Monday:

6:15: Get up and attempt to eat something.
7-8: Swimming training.
8-9: Get home, get some proper b'fast and then set off for campus for first lecture at 10.
10-11: Lecture. The majority of Law students go to virtually all lectures as the lecturers are all pretty good, but if/when you do get a bad one most judge it better to use the time for reading.
11-2: Go to the library (you may prefer to do this at home, just depends where you like to work) and get on with some work, either tutorial reading or going over lecture notes. Eat my lunch during this.
2-4: Couple of hours lectures.
4-6: Do some more work in the library or meet up with people for stuff like debating prep depending on the time of year. If I'm on top of work will probably just go home and hang out with my house/blockmates.
6-7.30: Go home, make tea, catch up with housemates etc.
7.30-9.30: Swimming again.
9.30-11: Go home, eat again after training. If things are unusually busy on the work front I might do some but likely just relax with my housemates, ring my girlfriend or something.
11: Bed

Tuesday:
8-9.15: Hit snooze repeatedly, eventually drag myself up to get breakfast and head into campus and do a bit of work before lectures.
10-1: Various lectures.
1-2: Go to the gym on campus or do circuits.
2-6.30 (at the latest): Get lunch and do some work in the library.
6.30-7.30: Go back home and get some tea.
7.30-10: Swimming.
10-12.30: Same as last thing Monday.

Weds:
8.30-9.15: Get up, b'fast and head to campus for the library.
9.15-12: Work at the library likely. If work's not too heavy I'll have a lie in and get there later.
12-1: Lecture.
1-2: Go home and get some lunch.
2-5: Swimming or volunteering depending on the week.
5-6.30: Get tea and see housemates.
6-8: Either go to campus to do some work or do a bit and then start getting ready for social.
8-12: Either social at the Union or some work followed by relaxing.

Thurs:
8.30: Get up and head to campus, whether I can manage b'fast depends on whether Weds was social or not.
9-6: Standard combo of lectures and library, possibly with circuits/gym thrown in depending on how fragile I'm feeling after Weds.
Evening: Maybe work, might just go home and relax. If second might go to the gym with housemates.

Friday:
Very similar to Monday with a bit extra on the lectures and maybe a night out with housemates after the second swimming, depending on whether I went out Weds (in First would just do both).

Weekend:
Might go and visit my girlfriend or her to come up to see me. If not likely library, swimming, go to the pub and watch football etc. Very similar to a weekday just with no lectures. I try to avoid doing loads of work on weekends unless needs be.

Obviously there's some stuff like food shopping I didn't put it in as I just fit it in whenever and it's unlikely you'll be doing the amount of swimming I do.

Where I've said 'lectures' that covers tutorials and seminars too, though these are on a fortnightly timetable so vary week to week.

In terms of jobs I do a bit of work for the uni in term but work virtually full time in holidays, but this is just my preference lots work part time in term.

I haven't included travel time from Oadby as this is what I did second year but it only takes about 10 mins. You'll likely need to do less work than this in Fresher year too, though don't abandon it completely!

You'll have to work reasonably hard but it's not ridiculous, plenty of time for other things! The great thing about being a student is that other than about 12 hours your time is your own and you can work when best suits you.

PM me if you have any questions about Leicester, Law or more generally :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by roh
Indeed I am, will try to help :smile:

Some of this will be irrelevant to you OP as they're my own ECs but thought I'd put them in as it shows you what sort of time you have free.

Monday:

6:15: Get up and attempt to eat something.
7-8: Swimming training.
8-9: Get home, get some proper b'fast and then set off for campus for first lecture at 10.
10-11: Lecture. The majority of Law students go to virtually all lectures as the lecturers are all pretty good, but if/when you do get a bad one most judge it better to use the time for reading.
11-2: Go to the library (you may prefer to do this at home, just depends where you like to work) and get on with some work, either tutorial reading or going over lecture notes. Eat my lunch during this.
2-4: Couple of hours lectures.
4-6: Do some more work in the library or meet up with people for stuff like debating prep depending on the time of year. If I'm on top of work will probably just go home and hang out with my house/blockmates.
6-7.30: Go home, make tea, catch up with housemates etc.
7.30-9.30: Swimming again.
9.30-11: Go home, eat again after training. If things are unusually busy on the work front I might do some but likely just relax with my housemates, ring my girlfriend or something.
11: Bed

Tuesday:
8-9.15: Hit snooze repeatedly, eventually drag myself up to get breakfast and head into campus and do a bit of work before lectures.
10-1: Various lectures.
1-2: Go to the gym on campus or do circuits.
2-6.30 (at the latest): Get lunch and do some work in the library.
6.30-7.30: Go back home and get some tea.
7.30-10: Swimming.
10-12.30: Same as last thing Monday.

Weds:
8.30-9.15: Get up, b'fast and head to campus for the library.
9.15-12: Work at the library likely. If work's not too heavy I'll have a lie in and get there later.
12-1: Lecture.
1-2: Go home and get some lunch.
2-5: Swimming or volunteering depending on the week.
5-6.30: Get tea and see housemates.
6-8: Either go to campus to do some work or do a bit and then start getting ready for social.
8-12: Either social at the Union or some work followed by relaxing.

Thurs:
8.30: Get up and head to campus, whether I can manage b'fast depends on whether Weds was social or not.
9-6: Standard combo of lectures and library, possibly with circuits/gym thrown in depending on how fragile I'm feeling after Weds.
Evening: Maybe work, might just go home and relax. If second might go to the gym with housemates.

Friday:
Very similar to Monday with a bit extra on the lectures and maybe a night out with housemates after the second swimming, depending on whether I went out Weds (in First would just do both).

Weekend:
Might go and visit my girlfriend or her to come up to see me. If not likely library, swimming, go to the pub and watch football etc. Very similar to a weekday just with no lectures. I try to avoid doing loads of work on weekends unless needs be.

Obviously there's some stuff like food shopping I didn't put it in as I just fit it in whenever and it's unlikely you'll be doing the amount of swimming I do.

Where I've said 'lectures' that covers tutorials and seminars too, though these are on a fortnightly timetable so vary week to week.

In terms of jobs I do a bit of work for the uni in term but work virtually full time in holidays, but this is just my preference lots work part time in term.

I haven't included travel time from Oadby as this is what I did second year but it only takes about 10 mins. You'll likely need to do less work than this in Fresher year too, though don't abandon it completely!

You'll have to work reasonably hard but it's not ridiculous, plenty of time for other things! The great thing about being a student is that other than about 12 hours your time is your own and you can work when best suits you.

PM me if you have any questions about Leicester, Law or more generally :smile:

Hi :smile:

I'm also going to be studying Law at Leicester. If you don't mind can you tell me what actually happens in a seminar class. Do you just go over what you learnt in the lecture???

Thanks!
Reply 10
Original post by ********
Hi :smile:

I'm also going to be studying Law at Leicester. If you don't mind can you tell me what actually happens in a seminar class. Do you just go over what you learnt in the lecture???

Thanks!

Kind of, but you'll be expected to do quite a lot of reading for a tutorial. It's more the lecture gives the basics, then the reading fleshes it out a lot and allows you te develop an opinion and then you discuss issues and work through example questions in the tutorial. The tutor will also answer any questions that your reading has raised for which you can't find an answer.

We don't really have what are called seminars, that generally means weekly but with quite a big group, 20 odd, and is common in English and History, so they're usually called tutorials in Law.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending