The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by For The Love Of Giraffe
If it's clear that it's just a social thing, why not? It's just eating and chatting.

Exactly. If he was after something more, why on earth would he say something? I've met up with male friends and have just gone for coffee or whatever. Nothing happened and never will do. Not all people of the opposite sex are after something.

I do think you're just being paranoid.
Reply 21
Original post by abc101
If they've only briefly met in passing and they don't work together, then yeah, it is quite possible that she didn't ask him to lunch to get to know a new colleague, but rather asked him out in a romantic capacity. Or she could just be really friendly? Either way, there's nothing wrong with a married man or married woman going for lunch with a member of the opposite sex - BUT if she doesn't know he's married and is construing it as a date, or her intentions are to make it something more than a friendly lunch, then you have the problem! So long as your husband makes sure that she knows he's married and is only interested in friendship, and she isn't flirting with him, it's fine, but I can see why you'd feel uncomfortable. It's not that you don't trust your husband, but rather, understandably, you're not crazy about the idea of him being alone with a woman who may very well want to get him into bed.

This is exactly why i was uncomfortable with the whole thing.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation Z710e
Reply 22
Its Just a 1 off thing
Maybe because they are both on a graduate scheme she find its easier to talk to him as they have something in common? I don't see no harm in him going this once, but if it begins to become a regular occurrence I would then raise my concern.
I think it IS weird of this girl to immediately ask your husband out to lunch after only "a quick introduction" as you put it. But, I think it's even weirder that your husband asked your permission to go, and that you said he couldn't. Do you always tell him what he can and can't do?
Original post by amyshamblesxx
But, I think it's even weirder that your husband asked your permission to go, and that you said he couldn't. Do you always tell him what he can and can't do?

I find this weird too. I can understand "I'm meeting a friend for lunch"; but asking permission, no.
Reply 26
Original post by sophisticated
I don't think it's weird at all. Maybe she's been asked by a manager to look after him, as he's a new starter, or maybe she's just being friendly?

I think you're overly paranoid. I assume you don't speak to any of your male colleagues then?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Go sling your hook somewhere else ayt!.....
Reply 27
Original post by OU Student
I find this weird too. I can understand "I'm meeting a friend for lunch"; but asking permission, no.

He asked because he felt weird too and the fact we have money worries meant we always have to clear with each other if we need to spend money. I mean 2 weeks ago I asked him first if I can buy some clothes. It's more to do with keeping track of money while we don't have much.

At first I thought it was no big deal, because I thought maybe she just wanted to get to know him as a friend and whatever. Then you said she worked in another department and that sounded a tiny bit weird. But maybe she meant it as a proper date or maybe she didn't. We don't know and neither do you, that's your husband's job to find out. He needs to read the signs in order to determine the situation. Was she flirty? Did she spot his wedding ring? Etcetera.

I'm curious though. So when he asked you for permission to go with her on the lunch date and you said no what did he do?
And what reason is he going to give to this female colleague regarding why he can't do lunch.
Reply 29
Original post by Ice Constricter
At first I thought it was no big deal, because I thought maybe she just wanted to get to know him as a friend and whatever. Then you said she worked in another department and that sounded a tiny bit weird. But maybe she meant it as a proper date or maybe she didn't. We don't know and neither do you, that's your husband's job to find out. He needs to read the signs in order to determine the situation. Was she flirty? Did she spot his wedding ring? Etcetera.

I'm curious though. So when he asked you for permission to go with her on the lunch date and you said no what did he do?
And what reason is he going to give to this female colleague regarding why he can't do lunch.

Their boss who introduced them said that he was married first thing, I found it weird too as apart from my husband's name that's the only thing he told this girl.

My husband said ok to not having lunch with her. I told him he could say whatever excuse, and he said he'll probably say he can't afford to buy lunch at the moment, hopefully if it's work related then he wouldn't have been rude. if it's something else, we'll deal with it again.

Original post by amyshamblesxx
I think it IS weird of this girl to immediately ask your husband out to lunch after only "a quick introduction" as you put it. But, I think it's even weirder that your husband asked your permission to go, and that you said he couldn't. Do you always tell him what he can and can't do?

Sounds like she's got him properly under the thumb anyway...poor bloke.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad Ap
Original post by donutaud15
Their boss who introduced them said that he was married first thing, I found it weird too as apart from my husband's name that's the only thing he told this girl.

My husband said ok to not having lunch with her. I told him he could say whatever excuse, and he said he'll probably say he can't afford to buy lunch at the moment, hopefully if it's work related then he wouldn't have been rude. if it's something else, we'll deal with it again.

It's just lunch, not as if she's asked him to bone her, I think you have insecurities, if you can't trust him why you married to him then. I would be out the door if any girl tells me who I can and can't meet
Reply 32
Original post by Rock Fan
It's just lunch, not as if she's asked him to bone her, I think you have insecurities, if you can't trust him why you married to him then. I would be out the door if any girl tells me who I can and can't meet

I trust him, it's other girls I don't. Even if he won't do anything, still not nice if a girl is flirting with him. Also he also has asked me not to hang out with certain guys in the past so it's equal.

Reply 33
I think the op is getting way, way too much hate. Relationships and different for different people. What works for one couple might not work for another. Just because her husband wants to consult with her before he does something doesn't mean he's under the thumb. Especially as she also consults him. Imo its about mutual agreement/respect. He felt that the woman's proposal was weird so he asked his wife, probably looking for her opinion on the matter. Is it not important to value the opinion of your spouse? And I agree with a couple of other posters, going alone on a lunch date for anything but business is weird, and it doesn't seem like business as they don't even work in the same department. But I could be wrong about that.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One S
she was probably trying to make friends and is now a bit miffed over the rejection of a friendly invitation.
but, assuming she had other motives...
your husband told you and asked you, so he has no unsavoury intentions whatever hers maybe, so why worry?
Reply 35
Original post by mariamah7
I think the op is getting way, way too much hate. Relationships and different for different people. What works for one couple might not work for another. Just because her husband wants to consult with her before he does something doesn't mean he's under the thumb. Especially as she also consults him. Imo its about mutual agreement/respect. He felt that the woman's proposal was weird so he asked his wife, probably looking for her opinion on the matter. Is it not important to value the opinion of your spouse? And I agree with a couple of other posters, going alone on a lunch date for anything but business is weird, and it doesn't seem like business as they don't even work in the same department. But I could be wrong about that.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One S

Thank you for your reply! This is what I've been trying to say in my last few post, I don't control my husband, he and I just choose to discuss this things between us, doesn't mean we don't have any trust in each other.

I don't understand why I'm getting so much negative replies, all I asked for was opinions, not judgement!

I find that a bit of an odd thing to do too

Are you saying the boss said "Hey GirlName, I want to introduce you to BoyName, he is married"

Hang on

Btw I don't know if the girl knows he's married.

This is a bit contradictory

Anyway ... if she knows he is married then she is probably just being friendly ... perhaps she is fed up with being friendly with people only to be hit on over lunch so was looking for a safe bet

If he takes lunch in and is short of money ... why didn't he just say so to her rather than bringing the problem home and upsetting you
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by TenOfThem
I find that a bit of an odd thing to do too

Are you saying the boss said "Hey GirlName, I want to introduce you to BoyName, he is married"

Hang on

This is a bit contradictory

He's told me that the boss said this, after I've started this thread so had to post it afterwards.

Anyway ... if she knows he is married then she is probably just being friendly ... perhaps she is fed up with being friendly with people only to be hit on over lunch so was looking for a safe bet

If he takes lunch in and is short of money ... why didn't he just say so to her rather than bringing the problem home and upsetting you

He wanted my opinion whether he should or not.

I trust him, it's other girls I don't. Even if he won't do anything, still not nice if a girl is flirting with him. Also he also has asked me not to hang out with certain guys in the past so it's equal.

To be fair you and your husband communicate and take each other's concerns and thoughts into account.

Don't ever change.

Please understand that many posters on this forum are young and single or next-to-single adults who are still coasting on that free-&-independent philosophy of their teens where the most sacrosanct thing in life is personal freedom and **** everybody else.

The I-can-do-what-I-want-and-****-other-peoples-concerns attitude to relationships is a bit extreme and a lot of people have forgotten that a good relationship is one in which both partners have accommodated the other.

they seem to think that compromise and commitment equates to total surrender of individuality.

I personally think you and your husband are handling the situation pretty well but hey that's just me.
OP I don't think it's weird, personally I think your reaction is a bit over the top. As it sound like a work thing - it's lunch, not dinner or drinks. Take it easy and let him go to lunch with the lady.

Mod note - this post misuses the anonymous function, for further information see the H&R guidelines: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Health_and_Relationships_Guidelines
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending