The Student Room Group
Dilute
Anyone know any chain stores or whatever which sell CDs for a lowish rate (lower than US Amazon?) at all? I'm planning to go there in the summer and I'd like to come back loaded with music...

by the time they've owned you with tax the Cd's are barely cheaper at all
serious narb
by the time they've owned you with tax the Cd's are barely cheaper at all

Unless you don't declare it at the airport.
Best Buy and Walmart probably have the cheapest cds. On average they're about $13.99 (not including tax which is abt 7%). Although at least at Best Buy they have lots of new cds for $9.99.
Reply 4
olliemccowan
Unless you don't declare it at the airport.

What exactly do you have to declare at the airport? Everything you buy?!
over a certain amount... you have to be taxed!
Oh, the TSR mobsters have done it again. Give me a warning for no reason. Good effort. I wasnt recommending illegal music downloading, I meant download it from a site like napster, which is legal. That was you dont pay for the cds, just the music itself.

Victimised. Thats what I am, victimised.
Dilute
What exactly do you have to declare at the airport? Everything you buy?!

Anything which is liable to import duty when we return from abroad. It's a very low amount, as Coleen McCloughlin (sp?) found out when she returned with thousands of pounds worth of designer gear from the States and got collared by customs.

I think they were looking to increase the amount you can bring in though, so you'd have to check with UK Customs for the specific amount :smile:
Reply 8
olliemccowan
Anything which is liable to import duty when we return from abroad. It's a very low amount, as Coleen McCloughlin (sp?) found out when she returned with thousands of pounds worth of designer gear from the States and got collared by customs.

I think they were looking to increase the amount you can bring in though, so you'd have to check with UK Customs for the specific amount :smile:

I see. Thanks. :biggrin:
Yep, the way to get around it would be to bring back all the CDs in a CD-wallet type case and then post all the CD cases back to the UK, claiming that you took the CDs out with you if questioned.

Not that I would advocate such behaviour of course.

Latest

Trending

Trending