The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Chemistry 2012-2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by TheFOMaster
If my Physics teacher tells us mass is constant at all this year she's getting a word from me!

Now... Why isn't Mass constant? I kinda wanna know now.

We've not spoken about Investigations. I think I might do something with Soft Drinks..

Well you know the e=mc2 e=mc^2 , we basically got told that masses approaching the speed of light start to become heavier, and the equation becomes e=m1v2c2c2 e= \frac{m}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}c^2 , or effectively e=moc2 e=m_oc^2 it's really interesting!
Reply 41
Chemistry, I'm doing Higher Physics this year :smile: Although I hate it. Thought it'd be more Mathsy (Equations of Motions looks a little fun though)

Ahhh higher physics is a great course! Helps with unit 1 of chemistry haha! Everything iv done from unit 1 so far is revision :P

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 42
If my Physics teacher tells us mass is constant at all this year she's getting a word from me!

Now... Why isn't Mass constant? I kinda wanna know now.

We've not spoken about Investigations. I think I might do something with Soft Drinks..

I will have a think and get back to you. I should probably remember...

Original post by Reece:)
We only have Every AH in 1 column.. 13 is like the biggest adv higher weve ever had :L my school does get a lot of bad rep though :/!

I think ours were only one column each, we were just a big school.
Reply 43
Original post by Slumpy
I will have a think and get back to you. I should probably remember...

I think ours were only one column each, we were just a big school.

My shool has over 1200 pupils haha. Is that not pretty big :tongue:?

Original post by Blue7195
Well you know the e=mc2 e=mc^2 , we basically got told that masses approaching the speed of light start to become heavier, and the equation becomes e=m1v2c2c2 e= \frac{m}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}c^2 , or effectively e=moc2 e=m_oc^2 it's really interesting!

*Wishes I done Physics last year to understand this kinda'va*
Ahhh higher physics is a great course! Helps with unit 1 of chemistry haha! Everything iv done from unit 1 so far is revision :P

The first 4/5 pages of my work book was revision from Standard Grade Physics. I think the first new thing was electronic configuration and how Electrons fill energy shells?

Our school only runs a few Advanced Highers. 7 I think and we're a similar size.
Reply 45
My shool has over 1200 pupils haha. Is that not pretty big :tongue:?

I dunno, we had about 200 in 6th year, so were a bit bigger than that, but all the AH classes at your school sound much smaller by comparison then!
Can I just say right now, don't do the tannin contents of tea for your investigation. So many bloody titrations!!! Absolute nightmare. So, yeah, word of warning.
Reply 47
Original post by Slumpy
I dunno, we had about 200 in 6th year, so were a bit bigger than that, but all the AH classes at your school sound much smaller by comparison then!

Yeah I was thinking, I think there's 160 S6? And our classes are tiny :P!

Reply 48
I have to do chemistry at a different school and I think my teacher is really bad as he seems really slow. We're only on the thing where electrons move down orbitals to give of photons. What are you all at? maybe I think it's slow because I've done all of the physics stuff before?
Reply 49
Original post by Blue7195

I really wish I could do physics, I want to use cool formula's like that. But I had to choose between AH chemistry and Physics as I have to go to a different school to do it and doing both would be impractical :frown:

I wouldn't do that, bud. Higher Physics only steps into the realms of classical mechanics where mass is constant. The variance of mass only applies at relativistic speeds, as thingy majiger showed, as vcv\to c. :tongue:

Original post by cl1.

Our school only runs a few Advanced Highers. 7 I think and we're a similar size.

No whinging from you, son. Mine only did one Advanced Higher: music.
No excuses. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I wouldn't do that, bud. Higher Physics only steps into the realms of classical mechanics where mass is constant. The variance of mass only applies at relativistic speeds, as thingy majiger showed, as vcv\to c. :tongue:

The what what at what applies to what?

Physics is quite fun... I like it.
The what what at what applies to what?

Physics is quite fun... I like it.

Mass is constant for macroscopic things moving at normal speed. It changes when **** goes super fast.
Reply 53
Mass is constant for macroscopic things moving at normal speed. It changes when **** goes super fast.

That's not technically true and you know it:p:
Original post by Slumpy

Do you want to confuse the poor lad more? :tongue:

I kinda got it :tongue: But now I think I can rule Physics out of what I wanna do in life permanantly... Chemistry's the best science anywho.
Original post by Slumpy

You want to confuse me? Your a horrible horrible person :wink:
Reply 57
You want to confuse me? Your a horrible horrible person :wink:

I want to confuse everyone. You're just lucky I didn't start going into 4D space-time:p:
Reply 58
Original post by cl1.

No whinging from you, son. Mine only did one Advanced Higher: music.
No excuses. :tongue:

I don't think I wrote that haha?
Original post by cl1.
I don't think I wrote that haha?

You didn't. FOMaster did - don't know how I messed up that quote!

Sorry. <3

Quick Reply