The Student Room Group

who to go with on uni open days?

hi so i'm going to be looking around universities soon and the ones i want to go to are pretty far away and none of my friends are interested so the easiest thing would go with my dad as i can't drive
is it common for students to go with their parents?
thanks!
x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yes
Reply 2
Very common, almost all the students there will have parents with them :smile:

They're a very useful source of advice on open days :wink:
Yeah, I went to all mine with my dad. Makes it easy, as you can look at whatever you want to look at and leave at any time etc.
Yes definitely most people go with parents!

It makes life a lot easier and it's nice to have someone with you.
Original post by RobertWhite
Very common, almost all the students there will have parents with them :smile:

"All generalisations are false" - The irony...lol.

Yes, people either go with friends or family.
Most people go with their parents. Mine were worried that I wouldn't want them there, but I thought it was nice for them to be able to help me make a decision they'd helped me work towards since I was born.. so they came :biggrin:
Like others have said, most people go with their parents (also, I suspect parents appreciate being able to see where their child might be going, ask their own questions and stuff). :smile: I went to all of mine bar one with my mum, and the one I went alone to was a UCAS visit day after I got my offer (and I only went alone because Mum was away and Dad was working).
Yeah :smile: I wouldn't want to make choices of where I will be living for 5 years/6 years/possibly the rest of my life without my parents seeing first! I've never been with friends. Most of the people I saw looked like they were with parents :smile:
Reply 9
I went with parents and found them to be more honest with their opinions on the place more so than friends. Also, going with family is what most people do and it's good to show your family where you might be later studying :-)
Yep. I went there on my own and was definitely the odd one out..
I went on my own to most, and once with another friend who was applying to the same uni. Given the fact that I knew I would be spending the next 3+ years there, I wanted to get a real feel for the place without having my judgement clouded by others. My parents are great, but I didn't feel they would be particularly helpful on an open day beyond offering moral support.
I went with my mum to all the universities I looked at, and almost all the students there had parents with them. On the Visit Day I went to at the university I'd accepted as my firm, I took my mum, dad, brother, sister AND my best friend, but that was because I had to :tongue: Even so, pretty much everyone there was with their parents :smile:
Reply 13
I went with my mum. There were a few people that were there with friends if they were from the city the uni was in, but most were with their parents.
ah thanks a lot guys
i thought i'd be the only one for some reason
I went with my mum to every open day...my dad refused to come as he didn't want to drive around the country, so we had to get the train everywhere (my mum and I couldn't drive at the time). From my experience, ideally go with someone who can drive!
I am going to go with my mum

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire C
I went with my parents to all but one, which I went to with a friend. Nearly everyone goes with parents, so it won't look out of the ordinary at all. Quite the opposite.
most come with parents and then there is the odd independent badman or two who come on their jayz
Hi, this isn't to do with the op, but are the open days for all subjects or specific subjects on specific days? Thanks :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending