The Student Room Group

Replacing GPU on Toshiba Satellite

Basically, my Toshiba Satellite P300-150 has a damaged GPU, due to me not cleaning the heat sink once over 4 years :colondollar:

It's a special model that has a separated graphics card, so I'm looking to replace it. It currently has an ATI Radeon Mobility HD 3650.

Just to be safe I'm looking to replace it with an identical card, also I'm getting myself a new laptop so this is being retired as a back-up laptop in case anyone in the house needs a spare. However, whilst shopping for the graphics card I've been worried that there might be software compatability issues if I accidentally buy one that was intended for an Acer / Sony / whatever laptop, is this something I have to bear in mind?

Cheers
When I read the title, for a moment, I believed that the Global Positioning Unit on your own personal Toshiba made outer space satellite was broken. :tongue:
Original post by Ari Ben Canaan
When I read the title, for a moment, I believed that the Global Positioning Unit on your own personal Toshiba made outer space satellite was broken. :tongue:

That is not the case :biggrin:

anyone?
Reply 3
Original post by Architecture-er
That is not the case :biggrin:

anyone?

Well you also got to realise its not the 3650 , its the 3650m.... you would have to find a spare part one which has already been used
Original post by Iqbal007
Well you also got to realise its not the 3650 , its the 3650m.... you would have to find a spare part one which has already been used

I already said that it was a Radeon Mobility card :wink:

Why would I need a spare part one? The ones I found on ebay indicated that they were new (though from china)

Do you know if there might be compatability issues? Some ebay listings say they might have issues with some laptop models, how can I tell if mine falls into that list?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Googling 3650M doesn't bring up any results, nor does it list the graphics card as 3650M on any spec sheets... are you sure about that?

Either way, what's the difference between the 3650 and 3650M and why would I need a spare part one?

write mobility in front......im pretty sure I believe, no laptop has the proper version of the dedicated graphics card you get on a desktop due to the size and power consumption, they are toned down versions.

3650m will be the exact one for a laptop, you need a spare part one, as they don't sell them brand new, they are parts from broken laptops, etc.
write mobility in front......im pretty sure I believe, no laptop has the proper version of the dedicated graphics card you get on a desktop due to the size and power consumption, they are toned down versions.

3650m will be the exact one for a laptop, you need a spare part one, as they don't sell them brand new, they are parts from broken laptops, etc.

edited my initial post after some googling :wink:
Reply 7
edited my initial post after some googling :wink:

:colonhash: do you know what the insides of yours look like?
and I doubt they are new, mobile versions aren't sold separately as far anyone knows, barely a market for it, only directly to laptop manufacturers
:colonhash: do you know what the insides of yours look like?
and I doubt they are new, mobile versions aren't sold separately as far anyone knows, barely a market for it, only directly to laptop manufacturers

No need for attitude..

My laptop specs say that's the graphics card, and that's the graphics card available for purchase. I can't see how there's any room for uncertainty?

Do you know anything about my actual question about compatability? Whether it's new or not isn't really relevant to me :tongue:
Reply 9
No need for attitude..

My laptop specs say that's the graphics card, and that's the graphics card available for purchase. I can't see how there's any room for uncertainty?

Do you know anything about my actual question about compatability? Whether it's new or not isn't really relevant to me :tongue:

trying to cover your tracks :colonhash: sadly i quoted haha

It should definitely be, my worry is who is supplying it, because it should definitely be a used one which was salvaged most likely.

I'm not sure, find the exact model name of the graphics from the laptops maker and compare
trying to cover your tracks :colonhash: sadly i quoted haha

It should definitely be, my worry is who is supplying it, because it should definitely be a used one which was salvaged most likely.

I'm not sure, find the exact model name of the graphics from the laptops maker and compare

Ok, thanks for the heads up :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending