The Student Room Group

WJEC A-Level English Language - Grade Boundaries

Hi Guys,

Although I know what my individual marks are for each module I took from looking here:

https://www.wjecservices.co.uk/MarkToUMS/

Does anyone know what the Overall Grade Boundaries are for WJEC GCE English Language are?

Unfortunately my results don't show my overall grade for some reason- so I need to know how to work out my Overall Grade for this subject.

Thanks for your help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blueflower114
Hi Guys,

Although I know what my individual marks are for each module I took from looking here:

Does anyone know what the Overall Grade Boundaries are for WJEC GCE English Language are?

Unfortunately my results don't show my overall grade for some reason- so I need to know how to work out my Overall Grade for this subject.

Thanks for your help!

If you know your UMS mark, then from the link you provided you can work out your raw mark. If you know your raw mark, then from the link provided you can work out your UMS mark.

In the link provided, you have the grade boundaries in the table below the drop-down menus.

80% of the total UMS will always be an A, e.g. 96 UMS out of 120 UMS is always an A. This will have a corresponding raw mark that was needed for an A.

If you're still unsure then please list the modules taken, e.g. English Language LG1 (1151) and your individual mark for that module. I'll let you know your grade.
Reply 2
I've got the exact same problem, I've got all A*s in all of my english exams, except one, which turned out to be a very shocking C. This brought my final grade from an A* to an A. I've got no idea what happened - it didn't seem like a hard exam.

From what I've deduced from Tullia:

I've got a UMS Mark of 25. So that means I got 27/40? That means 68%. It sounds like a C...

I just don't understand how I got that grade. Can I query it? will it cost anything? is it worth it? I'm taking Language next year.
Original post by Dobrzynski
I've got the exact same problem, I've got all A*s in all of my english exams, except one, which turned out to be a very shocking C. This brought my final grade from an A* to an A. I've got no idea what happened - it didn't seem like a hard exam.

From what I've deduced from Tullia:

I've got a UMS Mark of 25. So that means I got 27/40? That means 68%. It sounds like a C...

I just don't understand how I got that grade. Can I query it? will it cost anything? is it worth it? I'm taking Language next year.

The raw mark in this case doesn't matter too much - I was just making it known that you can convert from either to find the other.

Yeah, both the raw marks and UMS marks for that unit are out of 40. As 60% of the total UMS is always a C, then that means that 24 UMS is needed for a C. This also means that 28 UMS (70%) is needed for a B. You fall in between these boundaries, and so you have a C.

It's not unheard, but achieving all A*s and then a rogue C is a tad unusual. It seems as though you've got a high A, and I very much doubt given the calibre of student you appear to be that the C would be marked down further. And even if it was then it doesn't seem likely that it would affect your A as it is a high A.

You can get a remark, and whether it will cost you anything will depend on your school policy. It generally does cost the pupil, but I know at my school certain remarks where they expected a mistake had been made or that a grade was likely to increase based on a remark were paid for by the school.

Whether it is worth it is entirely your decision. If you think that the remark might improve the mark for that unit and perhaps increase your overall grade to A*, then it seems that it may be worth the potential cost.
Reply 4
Original post by Tullia
The raw mark in this case doesn't matter too much - I was just making it known that you can convert from either to find the other.

Yeah, both the raw marks and UMS marks for that unit are out of 40. As 60% of the total UMS is always a C, then that means that 24 UMS is needed for a C. This also means that 28 UMS (70%) is needed for a B. You fall in between these boundaries, and so you have a C.

It's not unheard, but achieving all A*s and then a rogue C is a tad unusual. It seems as though you've got a high A, and I very much doubt given the calibre of student you appear to be that the C would be marked down further. And even if it was then it doesn't seem likely that it would affect your A as it is a high A.

You can get a remark, and whether it will cost you anything will depend on your school policy. It generally does cost the pupil, but I know at my school certain remarks where they expected a mistake had been made or that a grade was likely to increase based on a remark were paid for by the school.

Whether it is worth it is entirely your decision. If you think that the remark might improve the mark for that unit and perhaps increase your overall grade to A*, then it seems that it may be worth the potential cost.

Thank you very much for the advice. I have my enrolment day in a week or so, so I shall discuss the school policies and things with my head of sixth form. Hopefully I can get that A*!
Reply 5
Original post by blueflower114
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help!

The overall grades for LG1 (Exam) are as follows:

A = 42 Raw Marks = 96 UMS
B = 36 Raw Marks = 84 UMS
C = 29 Raw Marks = 72 UMS
D = 23 Raw Marks = 60 UMS
E = 17 Raw Marks = 48 UMS
U = 0 Raw Marks = 0 UMS

The overall grades for LG2 (Coursework) are as follows:

A = 64 Raw Marks = 64 UMS
B = 53 Raw Marks = 56 UMS
C = 43 Raw Marks = 48 UMS
D = 33 Raw Marks = 40 UMS
E = 23 Raw Marks = 32 UMS
U = 0 Raw Marks = 0 UMS

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 6
The overall grades for LG3 (Coursework) are as follows:

A = 66 Raw Marks = 64 UMS
B = 55 Raw Marks = 56 UMS
C = 45 Raw Marks = 48 UMS
D = 35 Raw Marks = 40 UMS
E = 25 Raw Marks = 32 UMS
U = 0 Raw Marks = 0 UMS

The overall grades for LG4 (Exam) are as follows:

A = 59 Raw Marks = 96 UMS
B = 49 Raw Marks = 84 UMS
C = 30 Raw Marks = 72 UMS
D = 30 Raw Marks = 60 UMS
E = 21 Raw Marks = 48 UMS
U = 0 Raw Marks = 0 UMS

Reply 7
Hi I really need help on the structure for LG4!!!! I have to compare modern texts and early modern there's 3 texts to compare. My teacher said for one paragraph talk about Text A then for the second pargraph talk about Text B then the third paragraph talk about Text C then at the end compare But I'm pretty sure you have to compare throughout? He's not a very good teacher to be honest, he never turns up to the lessons. So could someone PLEASE help me on the structure it's Section B
Reply 8
Original post by Rubyx
Hi I really need help on the structure for LG4!!!! I have to compare modern texts and early modern there's 3 texts to compare. My teacher said for one paragraph talk about Text A then for the second pargraph talk about Text B then the third paragraph talk about Text C then at the end compare But I'm pretty sure you have to compare throughout? He's not a very good teacher to be honest, he never turns up to the lessons. So could someone PLEASE help me on the structure it's Section B

Hi you don't make comparisons throughout, just find max 2/3 quotes from each text and write 2 paragraphs on each text so that'll be 6 paragraphs in total! Make sure you follow the bullet points given to base your answer around that, and also check your context is included at the end of each paragraph :smile: I also have this exam in January and I hate transcripts wbu?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
So when do you compare? And thank you very much! I hate Spoken Language I have that in January aswel WJEC is usless :frown:(
Reply 10
Original post by Rubyx
So when do you compare? And thank you very much! I hate Spoken Language I have that in January aswel WJEC is usless :frown:(

You don't compare! Because it's not a compare/contrast essay! You just talk about each text separately! And yeah I hate the WJEC exam board :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 11
Original post by mkhan9035
The overall grades for LG3 (Coursework) are as follows:

A = 66 Raw Marks = 64 UMS
B = 55 Raw Marks = 56 UMS
C = 45 Raw Marks = 48 UMS
D = 35 Raw Marks = 40 UMS
E = 25 Raw Marks = 32 UMS
U = 0 Raw Marks = 0 UMS

The overall grades for LG4 (Exam) are as follows:

A = 59 Raw Marks = 96 UMS
B = 49 Raw Marks = 84 UMS
C = 30 Raw Marks = 72 UMS
D = 30 Raw Marks = 60 UMS
E = 21 Raw Marks = 48 UMS
U = 0 Raw Marks = 0 UMS

Hiya mate can I ask where you got this info from,, especially the LG3 info..just want to check to confirm if its correct.. Cheers pal
Reply 12
Original post by 14kammy
Hiya mate can I ask where you got this info from,, especially the LG3 info..just want to check to confirm if its correct.. Cheers pal

Just go on this website http://www.wjecservices.co.uk/MarkToUMS/default.aspx
Reply 13

Thanks bro, can you do me a favour and calculate my what I have in total from my AS Result and my A2 Coursework raw mamark

THE Total UMS MARKS for my AS English is 146 (LG1+LG2)

FOR A2 I have only got the raw mark for my coursework (LG3) as I have not say the exam yet.. THE RAW MARK FOR MY LG3 COURSEWORK is 56

what UMS mark am I on altogether bro.. Would appreciate your help. Thanks
Reply 14
Original post by 14kammy
Thanks bro, can you do me a favour and calculate my what I have in total from my AS Result and my A2 Coursework raw mamark

THE Total UMS MARKS for my AS English is 146 (LG1+LG2)

FOR A2 I have only got the raw mark for my coursework (LG3) as I have not say the exam yet.. THE RAW MARK FOR MY LG3 COURSEWORK is 56

what UMS mark am I on altogether bro.. Would appreciate your help. Thanks

Well the coursework grade boundaries (as do the exam ones) differ from year to year which is why i can only give you an estimate based on June 2012's boundaries (the 2013 won't be available until after results day) but 53 raw marks equals 54 UMS which is a C, added to the 146 you already have your total is 200 UMS.
What do you need out of english? If you need a C overall, you need 40 UMS on LG4 exam as 240 UMS is a C, for a B overall, you'd be expected to get 80 UMS on the LG4 exam as 280 is a B and for an A you'd need 120 UMS as 320 UMS is an A (which is full marks on the exam)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Well the coursework grade boundaries (as do the exam ones) differ from year to year which is why i can only give you an estimate based on June 2012's boundaries (the 2013 won't be available until after results day) but 53 raw marks equals 54 UMS which is a C, added to the 146 you already have your total is 200 UMS.
What do you need out of english? If you need a C overall, you need 40 UMS on LG4 exam as 240 UMS is a C, for a B overall, you'd be expected to get 80 UMS on the LG4 exam as 280 is a B and for an A you'd need 120 UMS as 320 UMS is an A (which is full marks on the exam)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks mate.. I worked it out earlier and my estimate which I got was 202 UMS marks in total and I'm lookin at gettin either a C or B..
For a C I'll need 38 UMS marks which as you said before is 240.. So the raw marks for 38-40ums marks is roughly around 14-15 marks..
And for a B ill need much more raw marks- 48 raw marks=84 UMS..
Just need last few tips for my exam..

section a is on spoken language- what do I write in each of the frameworks, as in what a the best features I should talk about in DISCOURSE, LEXIS, GRAMMAR- are there any other frameworks I should add or not?
Reply 16
Original post by 14kammy
Thanks mate.. I worked it out earlier and my estimate which I got was 202 UMS marks in total and I'm lookin at gettin either a C or B..
For a C I'll need 38 UMS marks which as you said before is 240.. So the raw marks for 38-40ums marks is roughly around 14-15 marks..
And for a B ill need much more raw marks- 48 raw marks=84 UMS..
Just need last few tips for my exam..

section a is on spoken language- what do I write in each of the frameworks, as in what a the best features I should talk about in DISCOURSE, LEXIS, GRAMMAR- are there any other frameworks I should add or not?

Thats's a good framework, just add

•GASP (Genre, Audience, Subject Purpose)
•Interactional features between the speakers
•Register (formality, mood)
Prosodic features (pauses, tone of voice, attitude etc)
•Pauses and problems with speech (fluency and non-fluency features)
Evidence of spontaneous speech
•Lexis
•Grammar
•Discourse

Hopefully that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi. Throughout AS and A2 I've had an A in LG1, 35 out of 40, 38 out of 40, 37 out of 40 and 31 out of 40 in my coursework (which are all A/A*s). I feel that LG4 went badly. Do any of you know what the lowest grade is I can get in LG4 but still get an A overall? Thanks.
Reply 18
Original post by ElliePritchard
Hi. Throughout AS and A2 I've had an A in LG1, 35 out of 40, 38 out of 40, 37 out of 40 and 31 out of 40 in my coursework (which are all A/A*s). I feel that LG4 went badly. Do any of you know what the lowest grade is I can get in LG4 but still get an A overall? Thanks.

What UMS did you get on LG1? I'll be able to work it out for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What UMS did you get on LG1? I'll be able to work it out for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've no idea, but it 49 out of 60 in raw marks. Thanks!

Quick Reply