The Student Room Group

Paramedic Science 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by revron77
According to my tutor today who is a senior nurse, applicants that are 18 - 19 are not taken seriously for paramedic practice courses due to the possibility the person is unmature.

Anyone want to counter that point, I'd love to see it destroyed

I'm on a course and I will say younger students find it difficult to get on because of lack of life experience and then more difficult again on the course because of this and often a lack of maturity. The entrance age for the ambulance service used to be 21 and I've met people who said even at that age they used to be very wary of taking you on. Personally I'm very glad I had a few years before starting the course (I started at 21) and that I managed to get some experience of work and life before starting. Put me in a much better position.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 21
Original post by Happy_Holidays
I'm on a course and I will say younger students find it difficult to get on because of lack of life experience and then more difficult again on the course because of this and often a lack of maturity. The entrance age for the ambulance service used to be 21 and I've met people who said even at that age they used to be very wary of taking you on. Personally I'm very glad I had a few years before starting the course (I started at 21) and that I managed to get some experience of work and life before starting. Put me in a much better position.

On saying that, there are 19 year olds that are more mature than 21+ year olds. I think it all comes down to interview, and hoping they'll give you one!
Reply 22
Now just to add-on to the senior nurse telling me this. She also gave an example, apparently a student she knew that applied had been in St Johns for 5+ years, been a course coordinator in CPR, had straight As and had a great interview. Yet he was told because he was 18, he would not be accepted because his age group lacks maturity.

For me it is a depressing for me that even if I do tick all the boxs, have a great interview... I will be discriminated against for my age rather than for my own person.

Thank you though Dragill and Happy_Holidays
Now just to add-on to the senior nurse telling me this. She also gave an example, apparently a student she knew that applied had been in St Johns for 5+ years, been a course coordinator in CPR, had straight As and had a great interview. Yet he was told because he was 18, he would not be accepted because his age group lacks maturity.

For me it is a depressing for me that even if I do tick all the boxs, have a great interview... I will be discriminated against for my age rather than for my own person.

Thank you though Dragill and Happy_Holidays

Whilst I appreciate how frustrating this must be for a younger person to feel that they are being overlooked due to their age, I understand the reasons a university may think this to be the case. At 18, most people have just left school/college and are wondering what to do with their lives. They may have brilliant experience through St Johns' or the Red Cross but they haven't been in a working environment long enough to see the complexities of the world. In essence they may not have the life or communicative skills required to work as a paramedic. I was a combat medic at 18 in the forces yet didn't believe I had what it took to be a paramedic due to the huge variation of roles a paramedic has to fulfil. Only now at 27 having worked with mental health and learning disabilities do I feel I know enough to undertake the course. (My biggest hurdle was going back to college to do an access to HE course.)

I believe that the universities will look at your application fairly as treating people indifferently is the nature of the beast. If you're unsuccessful but are serious about training as a paramedic, my advice would be to ask for feedback, maybe find a job within the care sector to gain experience and try again. Sorry it's long winded but I've got a few years of experience to try to impart. Hope this helps. NM :angry:)
First of all good luck guys and girls! I am looking forward to watching this thread progress :smile:

According to my tutor today who is a senior nurse, applicants that are 18 - 19 are not taken seriously for paramedic practice courses due to the possibility the person is unmature.

Anyone want to counter that point, I'd love to see it destroyed

Secondly, now I was always told this however. I was really surprised on the course I am on as it is predominantly students who are 18 - 19 years old. The oldest on our course is 28. Other university when I have been for interview have said "Oh we like taking on mature applicants" and they make this quite clear in opening speeches etc but at the end of the day I really feel its what you can show at interview and in your PS. If you can come across and show that you are a mature person at the grand old age of 18/19 then this is going to help you get a place. But if say you are 18/19 showing that your immature not getting any experience not doing research not being committed than your unlikely to get anywhere. Its all about how you are perceived by the university imo.
Reply 25
I went to Brighton Open day this weekend and they emphasised the importance of having work experience relating to the course. I think that's where a lot of 18y/o school leavers luck out. To work as a Carer or a similar job, the minimum age a majority of the time is 18..

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by CJ2091
I went to Brighton Open day this weekend and they emphasised the importance of having work experience relating to the course. I think that's where a lot of 18y/o school leavers luck out. To work as a Carer or a similar job, the minimum age a majority of the time is 18..

On saying that, I'd suggest that perhaps it would be better to take a few years to get that patient care experience than just jumping straight into paramedicine. I can see how that would disadvantage some people that just want to go from zero to hero in two years, but I'd much prefer to have some experience - even if it is only home care.
Original post by Dragill
some experience - even if it is only home care.

I believe that working in a home care environment is excellent experience. If you think about it, roughly 60% of a paramedics day is spent working with the elderly in their own homes. The population is living longer and social care is leaning more towards keeping people in their own homes rather than expensive care settings so this number is set to rise. If you master how to work with the target audience, then that can be great experience. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
A place to record and track our progress towards becoming a student Paramedic.

Would be good if this thread purely showed application status, with general discussion continuing in 'Paramedic Practice/Science-2013 Entry thread'
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
Sent 10/2012
(edited 11 years ago)
Applied 10/2012

Just to Bournemouth this year - sent - acknowledgement email received!
Hello!!
Second year of applying for me. Unconditional from Plymouth last year but had to withdraw due to family circumstances. Only applying to Bournemouth this year, all my eggs in one basket but no other choice. Had a flat out unsuccessful from them last year and have spent this year gaining experience in a nursing home, with St. Johns and my favourite, a community first responder which I got to enjoy 5 third manning shifts for :biggrin:
Am waiting with baited breath and terrified that I wont get my chance this year, another year down the line and I have become almost unbearable to my family for all my talk of ambulances and paramedics. Can't imagine what I will be like by next year. On this point I am so aware of how over subscribed the courses are and in this respect, I don't hold high hopes for myself. Fingers crossed really! Good luck everyone :crossedf:
applied 8/10/12

Worcester - email acknowledgement
Coventry - Called me today to verify my access results and confirmed i will be receiving a interview
Birmingham City - sent
Stafford - Sent
Reply 33
Original post by Elastoplast
First of all good luck guys and girls! I am looking forward to watching this thread progress :smile:

Secondly, now I was always told this however. I was really surprised on the course I am on as it is predominantly students who are 18 - 19 years old. The oldest on our course is 28. Other university when I have been for interview have said "Oh we like taking on mature applicants" and they make this quite clear in opening speeches etc but at the end of the day I really feel its what you can show at interview and in your PS. If you can come across and show that you are a mature person at the grand old age of 18/19 then this is going to help you get a place. But if say you are 18/19 showing that your immature not getting any experience not doing research not being committed than your unlikely to get anywhere. Its all about how you are perceived by the university imo.

Whats your course, which University?

Also the reason its alittle sickening to be told that is that I've been in St Johns for a year now, worked for 100 hours in a cardiological ward and post-op, work with disabled kids every week and am getting full marks in all my medical exams also spend hours researching the paramedics role up and down. I've spent 3 years working my a@! off in education and outside of it only to be told that more or less due to a number, its worth nothing.
Reply 34
Original post by Pequeno Toro
Hello!!
Second year of applying for me. Unconditional from Plymouth last year but had to withdraw due to family circumstances. Only applying to Bournemouth this year, all my eggs in one basket but no other choice. Had a flat out unsuccessful from them last year and have spent this year gaining experience in a nursing home, with St. Johns and my favourite, a community first responder which I got to enjoy 5 third manning shifts for :biggrin:
Am waiting with baited breath and terrified that I wont get my chance this year, another year down the line and I have become almost unbearable to my family for all my talk of ambulances and paramedics. Can't imagine what I will be like by next year. On this point I am so aware of how over subscribed the courses are and in this respect, I don't hold high hopes for myself. Fingers crossed really! Good luck everyone :crossedf:

So sorry to hear that, i'm sure with all the extra work you have done it will pay off. I wish you the best of luck :smile:
Reply 35

Also the reason its alittle sickening to be told that is that I've been in St Johns for a year now, worked for 100 hours in a cardiological ward and post-op, work with disabled kids every week and am getting full marks in all my medical exams also spend hours researching the paramedics role up and down. I've spent 3 years working my a@! off in education and outside of it only to be told that more or less due to a number, its worth nothing.

Regardless of how this discussion goes, nout is going to change. Apply this year, try to get in. If you get a place, great. If you don't, try again next year. If you do well enough at interview and have a good enough personal statement, they should want you regardless. All the work you put in won't be worth nothing, even if you don't get in this year, it'll put you in good stead for next year.

Oxford Brookes Paramedic Emergency Care

Reply 37
Original post by Dragill
Regardless of how this discussion goes, nout is going to change. Apply this year, try to get in. If you get a place, great. If you don't, try again next year. If you do well enough at interview and have a good enough personal statement, they should want you regardless. All the work you put in won't be worth nothing, even if you don't get in this year, it'll put you in good stead for next year.

Thanks, I'll keep that mindset with me. Anything thats good enough, never comes without some failure I suppose.
Reply 38
Original post by Elastoplast
Oxford Brookes Paramedic Emergency Care

Unistats only gives it 36% satisfaction, from your personal experience. Is Unistats right or wrong when it comes to it being bad?
Unistats only gives it 36% satisfaction, from your personal experience. Is Unistats right or wrong when it comes to it being bad?

In my personal experience of only being there since September 15th. I have no problems so far. Everyone is willing to help, there is a close link between students and lecturers on the course as well as a close link between the ambulance service too. I am satisfied with OBU. I didn't look at the open day there I purely went to the interview and was lucky enough to get a place. Based on my interview and how relaxed and comfortable and informative they were this made my mind up for me out of the other offers I received. Stats aren't everything.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest