The Student Room Group

The Ultimate Mature Students Halls Thread

Just wondering where mature students are planning in living while at univeristy. Uni halls or private landlords. Any mature students closer to 30 than 20s planning in staying in halls for the first year at least?

Scroll to see replies

NorthCountryBoy
Just wondering where mature students are planning in living while at univeristy. Uni halls or private landlords. Any mature students closer to 30 than 20s planning in staying in halls for the first year at least?

I'm not in that situation, but if I were I wouldn't fancy living in halls as a mature student - that's on the (possibly mistaken) assumption that the vast majority of those living in halls would be 18/19
Reply 2
I'll be 27 and living in halls. Although, the fact that I get on with younger people means it will be fine.
Reply 3
I would think the uni's might try to match you up with other mature students to make your life a bit easier, especially if you wrote on your form that you would prefer to live with other mature students. That would probably be more useful than renting privately on your own.
I'm 24 and almost through my first year in halls. I've had a vile time and I don't want to skew your opinion of halls other than to say my experience would probably have been just as vile if I was 19 (age had nothing to do with it!)

Most unis will have some final year or post grad students in halls so will pop you in with them if you ask - I know on my form they asked specifically if I wanted to share with people my own age or not.

TnV
definatly halls for me, I'm 21 but moving to a totally new area and want to increase my chances of getting to know people.
Reply 6
I'll be 27 when I get started in September, Halls seems the option that I have to give the least amount of thought to - I've already filled out the forms and await them to tell me where I'll be staying and ask me for the cash.

It'll be down to luck who I'll be living with, generally I get on with people. If I went to the effort of asking them to put me with specific groups of people I could end up having a crap time anyway so why bother, I'll let things run their course and hopefully it works out :smile:
I am not too worried about been surrounded by 18/19 year olds. There is probably more 18/19 year olds that are more mature than i am and ever will be. :p: I'd be more concerned about what the youngsters would feel like sharing with me.

Halls just seems like one less hassle to think about. No need to travel down to look at flats and try finding people to share with.

Bad enough having to think about needing to get rid of my furniture etc from my flat.

Spend the 1st year in halls, get to know the area and then see about house shares, thats me plan.
same here
Reply 9
My experience as an undergrad was that halls were noisy, smelly, busy, partying mad places where sleep and study was a no no. Brookes halls are generally full of mad 18 year old freshers going nuts. As a post-grad in Exeter I found post-grad halls in my first year which was much more relaxed and quiet. Depends on what you are after really. THere is no way on this planet I would live in halls at my age/stage of uni - but as Fresher it was awesome.

Postgrad flats at Exeter cater for mature students too - do you have that choice?
Reply 10
I'm 27, in my second year at uni and I've lived in halls for two years ... and I can't wait to leave them next year!! My uni has 'mature' halls, which is probably better than having to live with 18/19 yr olds, BUT for the past two years I have been the only undergrad in a flat of 10 people, and the only non-international student.

I appreciate that as a mature student my experience at uni is going to be different than that of a 'normal' fresher, but I will admit that living in halls has been a very lonely experience - last year I made some great friends who all left at the end of the year, meaning that I wasn't able to find anyone with whom I could share a student flat. Also, it's hard living in an environment where there isn't anyone who is having a similar academic experience to me - I've found postgrads to be quite 'cliquey' (no offence intended :smile:). Equally, international students don't really mix - in my flat the different nationalities (naturally) form friendship groups that are quite exclusive. They also have lots of events organised by the International Centre so it can feel quite isolating when your entire flat is out together!

In some ways it's been a good thing for me because I've had to work harder at forming friendships and getting involved outside of halls. However, I think if I'd known what living in halls was going to be like I would have seriously reconsidered it. Yes, I've had the advantages of a comfortable room on campus, and easy access to uni facilities, and I accept that as a mature undergrad, especially one living in halls, you're going to have a different kind of 'uni' experience, but I do think that uni's don't really cater for you ... I mean, how hard is it to put a few mature undergrads together in a flat?? Living in halls isn't necessarily 'bad', but I don't think it's something you should do unless you've really thought about it ...
I am not too worrieds about the experience i am going to have outside uni. I am going to uni to study and learn. I have done my fair share of partying when i was younger so for me thats no a major concern. AM not going to uni for the social life. :cool:

did you life in halls as in in shared shower etc. I was planning on staying in flats with 4 to 5 to a flat with ensuit.

I thought halls would be easier for first year and being near where i will be hopefully studying. Surely they try to put similiar age groups together? I think there is post grad flats from the uni, but they may be privately owned and further from campus will need to check that again.

But like i said there are probably maturer 18 year olds than me, just no sure how they would feel sharing with me.:redface:
Reply 12
Lol, the social life wasn't really important to me either, but there's a difference between going out and getting drunk, and the people in your flat actually talking to you ... :wink:

Facilities wise, my accommodation isn't too bad. We are in flats of between 5-10 people in en-suite rooms that are fairly new.

The policy at my uni is that if you are over 21 you will more than likely be put into the postgrad accommodation - I specifically applied to be in the 'mature' bit but I know people who didn't and got put here because of their age. For those who want to get on with their work it's better, but there is a longer rental contract so it costs more. As for putting similar age groups together ... if you're 18 then yes lol, if not, then no :smile:. In my halls there are people who are just 21, and people who are in their 50's.
Reply 13
I'm 24 and will be 25 by the time i go to Uni in septmeber but i'm going to Halls because i think you need to network and get to know people that are on your course and usually they stick you in a flat with people that are studying something like what you are. Surely one year with a bunch of 18/19 year olds can't be that bad (touch wood). The accomodation designed for mature students is bloody expensive at Liverpool, so im just going into normal accomodation, hopefully i'll get a good bunch of people in my flat.

Anyway if the youngsters annoy you, tell them to respect their elders and be queit. lol.

Is anyone a mature student and studying at Liverpool John moores in September?
I'm a mature student (22 - so not mature yet! lol) and I've opted for the halls at Kingston where I'll be taking my first year undergrad this September. I've heard so many bad things and how its better to move into shared accom. when you're older but I also hear its not easy to make friends if you dont.

anyone else in my shoes?
hi never, I intend to stay in halls too. I think that staying within the campas hall will be easier. I figure i will be able to adapt. Its just a question of if the other students can put up with me:-p

i am going to de montfort.

edit: i am 30 by the way.
I was in halls when I started uni (23) and sharing wasn't a problem as everyone made the effort to get on. I was just slightly unlucky in the block we were in where the younger ones partied 24/7 including exam periods but certainly the age gap never caused a problem making friends etc.
Reply 17
I'm a mature student who has stayed in halls for two years ... and I can't wait to leave lol. It's ok for the first year, as yes, it is a good way of getting to know people, but I think that I was slightly unluckly in that at my university, they put the mature undergrads and the postgrads together.

For the past two years I've been the only undergrad in the flats, and although I've made friends it's difficult because every year the MA students leave and you have to start from fresh again. Also, it can be difficult because the vast majority of MA students (at my uni anyway) are international, and they don't really mix, which can make life in halls a little lonely.
I'll be off to Sussex in a couple of months, I'm 23 and am kinda dreading living in halls. Mostly phobic of filthy kitchens and bathrooms! Luckily at Sussex they give you the option of sharing with other matures, or living in a flat in a designated quiet area.
Reply 19
I'll be a mature student (25) at the RVC in the fall. I'll be staying in College Grove and am a little worried about it too. I'm concerned that there will be few my age to make friends with. I'm assured there are others in my shoes, but I also know that accomodation houses mainly 18 and 19 year olds.

I also figure it's just for this year and I can always move to an International flat next year with people I'd have more in common with. I'm told it's better the first year too so that you can get to know some people.

Quick Reply

Latest