The Student Room Group

The Ultimate Mature Students Halls Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I'm twenty (mature?!) and I can't wait to move into halls. I've been living-in on various jobs for the last year, and while it might be a bit immature and messy, I'm immature and messy. I can live with immature and messy. I thrive on immature and messy.

Depressed, tedious and dead-end is far more of a downer!
Reply 61
Will you be 21 at the start of your course? If not, you can relax - you're not mature :wink: :biggrin:
Trust me, give it 3 years... immature and messy gets real old.
We all enjoyed it once...
Reply 63
I'm not officially mature and I certainly don't act it, but I still worry about being potentially 5 years older thanthe people I'm living with... I did an FE foundation course in Art and Design and I found some of the students there were incredibly immature at times (it even made me realise how boring I must have been at that age!!)

Nevertheless, I lived with people my own age and older during that year and they were by far some of the worst people I have met. I certainly made me realise that cleanliness is not governed by age, nor apparently by how long you've been living away from home for - it's a personality trait and it'll be pot luck who has it in my Halls, no matter how old they are.

I'm just glad that at least this year there will be someone else to tell them off ifthings get too bad, or maybe even someone to tell me when I've not washed up for a while - I actually want that!

Hope you all have a great time, I'm sure within a week you'll be wondering if you ever really were 'mature' in the first place!! :P
Reply 64
i cant wait to go uni at 21 now or study a Fountation year at 20 , sounds like its gonne be fun
Reply 65
I'm 23 and decided not to live in halls despite my Uni having places for all 1st year students.

Mainly because I thought I'd get pissed off if I was living with 18 year-olds that had never lived away from home before that were all crazy/'zany' and annoying i'd get pissed off....and I like houses.

I did the same the first time I went to Uni and was fine...but as almost all of the 1st year students at this uni will be in halls (it was only 50% at my last uni) it could end up being a mistake.....
Reply 66
im 31 and moving into halls, have en suite room sky tv internet access and my own phone so its pretty good, can cook in the communal kitchen and if anyone drives me nuts can go to my room, am kinda interested to see who I will be living with tho. Some 18 year olds can be a pain in the ass, but I think a majority of them are ok. By the same token I know some 20 -30 - 40 even 50- year olds who are as much of a pain in the ass, I guess we will all just have to wait and see who we are gonna be shacked up with! Its a new experience, enjoy it! :biggrin:
Reply 67
I will be going into halls at UEA. Looking forward to it but a bit apprehensive! I am 23 so it hopefully wont be too bad and I will have an en-suite room which was all I was worried about1
Even though I am in the mature halls and everyone is 21 - 30, and the people I have met are great I am getting more homesick than the 18 year olds! I cant keep up with the drinking, I am having a hard time with the tiny room and no space and just the general atmosphere of this place! Its quite sad but I'd rather be back with my parents and commute in now!

Anyone else really not keen on the halls atmosphere and feeling a bit too old for things?
Reply 69
Im not staying in halls, I'll be commuting everyday instead - but I have total sympathy for you, If I was staying in halls I'd be just the same as you!

Give it a few days and see if things change a little when term starts properly, Im sure you won't be the only one feeling like this, what Uni are you at and what are you studying?

I'm the same about freshers week - been there and done it about 10 years ago, on another thread people are syaing ho 'left out' I'll feel, but because I'm commuting I'm not so worried about it really. If possible could you look for private accomadation?
Reply 70
Oh how awful.Would it be possible for you to speak to someone in student suport,or something? They may be able to give you some 'pointers', or advice to help you. Hope you can get sorted. I know if I was in your position, I would feel the same.
Kp.
Thanks guys
I think I am just a bit freaked because I need my space and although the nice thing about being here is its so sociable and what not I am feeling a bit like I want to sit down, chill out and take a time out without everyone banging down my door to do something every 15 minutes. I have bonded with a few people but most are sort of more 'party friends and aquanitences'. Ive been told once classes start life will calm down and what not. I hope so!
How old are you? I was 23 when I started last year and hated every minute of halls, if commuting had been an option I would have done it but my parents live over 300 miles from uni. The important thing to remember is that it's not forever and you haven't been there that long, so try to reserve judgement until you've started your classes and met some more people. All my friends last year were from outside my halls and once people settle into their own friendships etc they won't be pestering you every 5 minutes to go get drunk. Unless you want them to :smile:
Reply 73
I would imagine that things will settle down. right now everyone is probably trying to get to know everyone else, and trying to involve them in all activities. Once you all have studies to be getting on with it will probably be a bit quieter.
from what I can tell there are a lot of younger students, in the main forum, that are finding it hard to settle in, i dont think its an age thing exclusively. See how things are in a few weeks and if you are still really unhappy you could see about transferring halls (might be someone in a quiet ahll desperate for the party life you could swap with) or seeing if your uni can help you get outside accomadation. Good luck with it all.
Reply 74
Just wondered if anyone else was having problems sleeping in student halls. I'm a final year mature student and have been put into halls with exchange students who view this year as a holiday as they can only pass or fail (they do not get an actual mark for some reason). Anyway, they are really loud slamming doors into the early hours of the morning, having loud large groups of friends over to eat in the kitchen and bang on the front door at silly hours (5am this morning)! I feel like i'm going crazy, I can't get a decent nights sleep and when I go back to the flat to chill out in the evening I find it is impossible because of people running wild like zoo animals! Is it just me or does anyone else find that some students are just completely ignorant and only care about themselves.
Reply 75
You shouldn't put up with this kind of disturbance in your final year. You have invested a lot of time and money in your degree and it is the uni's responsibility to ensure the environment (that you are paying them for) allows you to study and sleep.

Most unis put final year students together wherever possible, away from first years or exchange students, as final year students require quieter accommodation in order to study. I would advise you in the first instance to contact the hall warden, who will speak to the exchange students. If the verbal warning doesn't work, the warden can issue them with a written warning, threatening to throw them out of halls if they disturb other students again. Keep a record of all the disturbances, days/times etc. and note all action you have taken (e.g. discussion with warden, date etc.). Call out security if necessary in the middle of the night if you are being disturbed (again, keep a record). If this doesn't work, write to the Head of Student Services (or whoever the appropriate person is in your uni, and copy it to your department) informing them that the disturbance is affecting your ability to study and may ultimately affect your marks and your degree. You should also mention the problems to your academic department, as they may be able to speed things up a bit. The Students' Union may also be able to advise.

If all this doesn't work, write a letter to Head of Student Services (or appropriate person) stating you intend to take legal action if the matter is not resolved. This always works! Good luck.
I really feel for you. I decided to move out of halls because I just couldnt take it either. Im 23 and this is my first year, but with all the noise from outside, in my own flat (people coming and going at all hours), doors slamming, people rummaging in the kitchen for food at 2am, the room being like a prison, never getting a moments peace... I just cant take it.
I have gone to University late.. fair game.. but the last thing I want now is to be the typical 18 yr old late nights partying all hours person who neglects their work. thats what Ive been doing the last 5 years anyway.
You should look again into moving out into a shared house
sometimes you can get a room in a family home or someone that lives by themselves but has a spare room and will charge less.

Your final year is too important to let some idiots jepordise your grade
Reply 77
i will be a mature student going to uni next year hopfully and i was wondering if anyone could help me i am applying to leeds met and if i get in i dont know if i should go live in student halls (would i be able to) or stay at home as i live in leeds what are the pros and cons?
im gunna be 22 when i join chester uni too. im def joining halls for the first year, a few of my mates are there but i wud join anyhow. H owever i dont live in chester so is a bit diferent i suppose. I dont think your classed as a mature student until your over 25 tho, not 100% sure but think i read it on ucas. only thing ur gunna have to check is wheter or not the halls are available to you as you live so close, i know at chester the priority is for students who are from outside the city. good luck x
doodygirl
i will be a mature student going to uni next year hopfully and i was wondering if anyone could help me i am applying to leeds met and if i get in i dont know if i should go live in student halls (would i be able to) or stay at home as i live in leeds what are the pros and cons?

It says on your profile that you are 22. Go for the halls! You'll love it, enjoy the experience and you'll meet so many new people and make loads of friends.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending