The Student Room Group

Football Manager Society III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hskjlclcn
That''s a shame, Wednesday are actually good on this game!

I know the irony. I've had a butchers at their team and they have some alarming stats.
Anyone conceding stupid amount goals?

One season with Hull and three with North Ferriby I've conceded stupid amounts of goals.
yeah the goalkeeping is still very hit & miss, not sure how you make a keeper keep more than 13 or so clean sheets in a league season, literally tried EVERYTHING to do it, made keepers have 200 CA/PA even & trained them hard on goalkeeping, still conceded 31 goals in a season even though defenders & keeper all rated over 7 most of the time.
Na I have been banging the clean sheets.
Picked up FM13 for the first time in a long time

Forgot why I stopped playing, Yeovil save - 3 best players all out for 3 months+++. One guy came back from a broken leg, 20 mins into his sub appearance breaks his other one
:rolleyes:

Anyway, was on the verge of being sacked being 5th from bottom.

Changed tactics, made team narrow, more direct (rather than the somerset baracelona) and it's worked wonders, 11 match unbeaten run, giant killed West Brom on my way, currently sitting 1 point behind second in early December. However I just rage quit as I got another key player injured which would mean I wouldn't be able to have a full sub bench such is the size of the squad.

Having so little money is also amusing, no transfer budget and 5k available in wage budget despite my pleadings to board
(edited 9 years ago)
I've also just picked up FM2013 again. I started a game with Droylsden last week in the Blue Square North. They'd just been relegated and had no money and their best players had all left. The aim was midtable with no further incentives for offering to get promotion, so I took it, hoping to get some decent free signings and loanees in and maybe make a push for promotion via the play offs. The season started well and I was top for a while, but then the bottom fell out as injuries and a ridiculous October in which I played 12 games (replays in the first three rounds of FA Cup qualifying) took their toll. It wasn't going anywhere. In the end I slipped out of the play offs and went on stupid streaks where I'd win six games in a row, then my players would all lose the plot and I'd lose six instead. I ended up in 9th place, but I was fairly confident I could rebuild for the second season after agreeing precontract arrangements with a few of the better players I'd loaned in over the course of the year.

However, in preseason, a new owner took over and replaced the entire board. They decided to keep me on (achievement unlocked... !) but wouldn't allow me any cash at all for wages or signings, said they didn't want me using loan players, didn't think a parent club was necessary and kept selling my best players to recoup the 65k loan they'd taken out to buy the club. I'm currently sitting in preseason having drawn two and won one with a squad of 14 players (two injured) wondering how the **** this is going to work. I've actually got a really good first eleven who are probably capable of the play offs, but the board have demanded promotion to cap everything off. Without any depth whatsoever I'm hoping to start really well and get a job elsewhere, I suppose...

Any tips? I can't sign loanees or sign free transfers who want more than about 40 quid a week. I've been bringing players in on noncontract agreements but that's sending the club on the journey towards administration.
This Burnley save is getting ridiculous 12 draws in the last 15 games, only 1 win meaning i'm getting both the unbeaten streak and games without a win headlines coming up :rofl:

My stubbornness means i'm hardly making changes to the team because the morales decent and we are still only 7 points off the playoffs, but we need something to click soon otherwise i'm just going to start betting on the draw every game..
In my second season as Real Sociedad manager. Won the Europa league, got to the Spanish cup semi final(lost to Real) and made 4th place so I'm in the CL this season.

Lost my first two games in a row, so a title race is probably out of the question unless I go on a run of 8 wins in a row or something like that.
Oh God, not FM. I had to uninstall it, almost ruined my A Levels through sheer addiction...

Had the filthiest Roma team in FM13 though, Lamela, Florenzi, Pjanic, Cavani, De Rossi, Yacob.... Amazing.
Things are going much better than expected with Droylsden because my first team is that strong. I'm winning every match I can field them by three or more goals and scraping wins and draws when I have to field injured or youth team players. I also managed to convince my board that loanees are the answer when they have absolutely no cash to give me. I'm top of the league after 28 games, but there's only five points between me and sixth. I've had amazing results like 7-1 away at Redditch, partly because my boxing day game was postponed, allowing me to field my strongest team two days later against an exhausted Redditch XI. Having fun though, and my loanees are superb. Alex Titchener, Kuagica Bondo, Andre da Costa and Sam Sheridan are all far too good for the Blue Square North.
I got my San Marino team into Serie B. Currently in playoff contention. I will confess to having fiddled about with it though.
I have to say i'm really struggling with fm2015, but i think its a massive improvement; the previous recent versions have been far too easy.

Sitting 19th with villa midway through the first season, unfprtunately benteke has been injured for the entirety.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Start of season - Can't sell the players I'm trying to sell, wage budget too high, leak goals (due to being team that's gone from League 2 to Premier League in about 5/6 seasons and suffering second season syndrome)

Mid-season - stop leaking goals, despite captain/star defender getting injured, and the AMC/FC I bought for £400k (my only transfer in) starts scoring when I push him from AMC to ST... and doesn't stop. Move out of relegation zone into midtable with him scoring a goal a game nearly.

Transfer window - buy no one, everyone's suddenly trying to buy the star £400k striker for £12m, then £15m, then £20m, then £30m+. Still say no, even though that would quintuple our bank balance, because he's our only change of staying up.

February - knocked out of F.A. Cup 5th round with star striker injured early in the match, replacement striker doesn't hit barn door.

Now - have 10 matches to collect a few more points with no strikers hitting cows backsides, starting against Liverpool who beat us 3-0 and is one of about half a dozen title contenders with a point between them in the most open title race in decades (literally - 2000 was an open race at first, and that was 33 years ago).

Way better than just beating everyone and overperforming every season, it's interesting at least. Good old FM 2007.

(no1curr)
Original post by ozzyoscy
Start of season - Can't sell the players I'm trying to sell, wage budget too high, leak goals (due to being team that's gone from League 2 to Premier League in about 5/6 seasons and suffering second season syndrome)

Mid-season - stop leaking goals, despite captain/star defender getting injured, and the AMC/FC I bought for £400k (my only transfer in) starts scoring when I push him from AMC to ST... and doesn't stop. Move out of relegation zone into midtable with him scoring a goal a game nearly.

Transfer window - buy no one, everyone's suddenly trying to buy the star £400k striker for £12m, then £15m, then £20m, then £30m+. Still say no, even though that would quintuple our bank balance, because he's our only change of staying up.

February - knocked out of F.A. Cup 5th round with star striker injured early in the match, replacement striker doesn't hit barn door.

Now - have 10 matches to collect a few more points with no strikers hitting cows backsides, starting against Liverpool who beat us 3-0 and is one of about half a dozen title contenders with a point between them in the most open title race in decades (literally - 2000 was an open race at first, and that was 33 years ago).

Way better than just beating everyone and overperforming every season, it's interesting at least. Good old FM 2007.

(no1curr)

I totally agree and I'm glad you're enjoying the game this way! My Droylsden save is getting interesting. I've got them into League Two after four seasons and my entire wage budget is probably less than some of the star players at the top end of the league table get per week. I've been slowly building my squad together and I reckon I'm in with a shout of avoiding relegation - I have a Championship quality keeper and my defence is fairly disciplined. Midfield is a little weaker, which is going to be a problem.

One thing that's strange is that despite winning the league whilst predicted 16th last season in the BSP I didn't come in the top three for Manager of the Year. The team that had twelve times my budget and came up via the play offs took it instead.
This society is what dreams are made of :colondollar:
Original post by Jangrafess
I totally agree and I'm glad you're enjoying the game this way! My Droylsden save is getting interesting. I've got them into League Two after four seasons and my entire wage budget is probably less than some of the star players at the top end of the league table get per week. I've been slowly building my squad together and I reckon I'm in with a shout of avoiding relegation - I have a Championship quality keeper and my defence is fairly disciplined. Midfield is a little weaker, which is going to be a problem.

One thing that's strange is that despite winning the league whilst predicted 16th last season in the BSP I didn't come in the top three for Manager of the Year. The team that had twelve times my budget and came up via the play offs took it instead.

In 07 it seems to be that manager of the year goes to the 1st place team's manager, 2nd place goes to 2nd etc. though it might change a little.

Midfield always seems to be last in priority. You need a defence to keep a clean sheet and strikers to score, so it seems you can live without top midfielders. My right midfielder since League 2 was a right back with all <10 technical attributes, it was only in the Premier League he wasn't much use.

I've had to change my tactics a lot, that's one thing. I like a 4-4-2 diamond, which I think I used in League 2, then in League 1 I used wing backs in a 3-5-2, then I think changed again in the Championship, now in the second season of the Premier League I've had to use a 4-2-3-1 (the 2 being 2 defensive midfielders as well) and counter attacking just to not get slaughtered any more.
One other baffling thing I've noticed on FM13 is that offering a £1 loyalty bonus will let you offer players wages of two or three clicks less than without it. In the lower leagues that might only be £20-£50 a week less but giving them their bus fare home on the spot seems to make a big difference...
Original post by Jangrafess
One other baffling thing I've noticed on FM13 is that offering a £1 loyalty bonus will let you offer players wages of two or three clicks less than without it. In the lower leagues that might only be £20-£50 a week less but giving them their bus fare home on the spot seems to make a big difference...

There are always bugs. I used to offer huge bonuses if a defender would score 40 goals a season :colondollar:
Undefeated in League 1 with my mighty Yeovil side (FM13) into my second season, top after 20 games.

Got a lot of deadwood to get rid of and need a LB, AMC and a DC that could all play championship football next season, shall be an interesting January :colone:

Darren Potter of ex-Liverpool fame is a great signing
So this season is easier than expected by quite some way. I'm just demolishing teams with a 4-5-1 counterattacking strategy. Top of the league (although Wrexham are a point behind me with a game in hand) a quarter of the way through the season. My wage budget of £10 and a pack of Marlboro Reds is no barrier to success. I'm the highest scorers in League Two and I have the third best defence in the league. I've beaten Fleetwood away 5-1 and I've had various other ridiculous results. As soon as I get some important players injured things will begin to slide but I've made sensible loan signings with Backup ticked so they aren't getting unhappy sitting on the bench.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply