The Student Room Group

Al Qaeda terrorist to sue UK via Europe.

WTF has this damn coalition done?? They should have gotten rid of that farce of HRA98 and replaced it with a Bill of Rights. Just look at the kind of **** is happening now all in the name of human rights, weird considering the ones using the laws have scant regard to anyone else's human rights.

Al-Qaeda terrorists launch human rights bid
Two Al-Qaeda terrorists, one of whom plotted to kill thousands of people in a bomb attack on a British shopping centre, have launched an attempt to have their convictions quashed on human rights grounds.

The pair have applied to the European Court of Human Rights after claiming MI5 was complicit in their torture by Pakistani security services, a claim that has already been rejected by British courts.

Officials at the European Court have allowed their application to go ahead rather than declaring it inadmissible, as they do with thousands of cases a year.

The Government must now respond to the claims, and if its explanation does not satisfy the court it will order a full hearing which, if successful, would almost certainly lead to the British courts being forced to quash the convictions.

The new development raises further questions about the influence of Strasbourg over British sovereignty, and the way human rights legislation is being exploited by defence lawyers.

Lord Carlile, the QC who until last year served as the Government’s independent reviewer of terrorism legislation, said: “To have the European Court of Human Rights intervening in judgments of fact as opposed to judgments of law really would be a new departure and, in my view, a completely unacceptable departure.

More of it http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/9499541/Al-Qaeda-terrorists-launch-human-rights-bid.html

Just got to wait and watch the floodgates of litigation being blown wide open.
You have obviously never read the Human Rights Act and know nothing of its content and purpose. If you did, you wouldn't be so eager to scrap it. There is nothing a new Bill of Rights would give us that isn't already in the HRA. Britain actually already has a Bill of Rights, we have had it for over 300 years, but thats another topic.

Their bid won't be successful anyway, it will be thrown out by the courts, i guarantee you that.
Fingers crossed
Reply 3
Original post by Greenlaner
You have obviously never read the Human Rights Act and know nothing of its content and purpose. If you did, you wouldn't be so eager to scrap it. There is nothing a new Bill of Rights would give us that isn't already in the HRA. Britain actually already has a Bill of Rights, we have had it for over 300 years, but thats another topic.

Their bid won't be successful anyway, it will be thrown out by the courts, i guarantee you that.

Well, who is going to pay for this farce in the first place, it will be us taxpayers paying expensive legal aid for terrorists to sue us.

The HRA and ECHR need abolishing, i have read it, and the rights it provides are far too open to interpretation, which is why we end up with case after case of unfair claims such as this. The European Convention on Human Rights, (which HRA98) stems from is a relic from a different age, written in response to the spectre of totalitarian regimes such as Nazi Germany or Stalinist Russia, the people don't face any threat like those anymore, what they are under threat from are Islamic fanatics hell bent on blowing them up, that is why it must go, as they abuse and exploit this Act.
Reply 4
As long as the bill of rights includes an equivalent of the US 2nd amendment
Reply 5
Original post by TimHuak
As long as the bill of rights includes an equivalent of the US 2nd amendment

You do realise how awful that would be, right? You are aware that they have over 11,000 homicides each year by firearms? You have heard of all the mass shootings they have, right?

Besides, it's not even illegal to own firearms in the UK - You can apply to own them if you want. Most people just don't bother. It's limited to rifles and shotguns and for people with purposes (farmers, target shooters, etc). So go get one if you feel like it, but don't bring it near me.

But back on topic:

It is quite unfortunate when people try to kill us and claim wrong-doing when they get caught. Like a child molester complaining that he's getting abused by other inmates. Yeah, you go and lie in that bed! You made it!

I presume they're hearing it just to prevent backlash from other Al-Qaeda groups. Lets face it, you really don't want to piss off the terrorists. No need to give them any reason just to retaliate. But hopefully it will be thrown out. I just think it's to try and prevent relations from worsening (if that's even possible with a terrorist group)
Reply 6
Why do Human Rights only seem to apply to criminals ...
Original post by Herr
WTF has this damn coalition done?? They should have gotten rid of that farce of HRA98 and replaced it with a Bill of Rights. Just look at the kind of **** is happening now all in the name of human rights, weird considering the ones using the laws have scant regard to anyone else's human rights.

Just got to wait and watch the floodgates of litigation being blown wide open.

Why is the UK the only country in Europe that doesn't just ignore EU human rights court rulings when they are clearly counter-productive to our laws and ideals?

The EU HR courts blatantly over-step their bounds and authority, so ignore them, they can't do anything about it anyway.
Reply 8
Original post by SillyEddy
You do realise how awful that would be, right? You are aware that they have over 11,000 homicides each year by firearms? You have heard of all the mass shootings they have, right?

Besides, it's not even illegal to own firearms in the UK - You can apply to own them if you want. Most people just don't bother. It's limited to rifles and shotguns and for people with purposes (farmers, target shooters, etc). So go get one if you feel like it, but don't bring it near me.

No they don't
Original post by Holmeboy
Well, who is going to pay for this farce in the first place, it will be us taxpayers paying expensive legal aid for terrorists to sue us.

The HRA and ECHR need abolishing, i have read it, and the rights it provides are far too open to interpretation, which is why we end up with case after case of unfair claims such as this. The European Convention on Human Rights, (which HRA98) stems from is a relic from a different age, written in response to the spectre of totalitarian regimes such as Nazi Germany or Stalinist Russia, the people don't face any threat like those anymore, what they are under threat from are Islamic fanatics hell bent on blowing them up, that is why it must go, as they abuse and exploit this Act.

The reason the people don't face this threat is partly due to these human rights. If they were removed, then places like Greece(which is in the "perfect" state for a totalitarian ruler to emerge, economically and attitude wise) could easily become problems.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending