The Student Room Group

Worth getting a maths remark?

So I've got my maths A level (OCR MEI board) and got a D, but I was 1 UMS off of a C. I sat 3 papers this summer, C3 (was a resit, I went from a U to a C), C4 and M1.

I got a C in C3, a U in C4, and a D in M1. In AS I got C's in C1 and C2 and a B in S1. When I spoke to my maths tutor (we never really got on) he effectively said he'd washed his hands of our year now and that he wouldnt be able to help me to decide if I should get a remark. In fact he went so far as to suggest I was putting him out by making him sign the papers to get a photocopy of my script back.

So I've ordered the scripts back for M1, C3 and C4 and am going to have a look through myself, but obviously I'm not a maths expert so I'm not sure what I'm looking for!

Also, I'm aware that my grade could go down as well as up, and also that it costs £80 to get each paper remarked so I'm not sure if I'd want to get them all done.

Any advice will be appreciated!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Being 1 mark off the next grade boundary up means you must be 39 from going down a grade overall, if you were going to get a remark and lose 39 marks, that would be amazing. So don't let the idea that you may go down a grade stop you getting a remark.

Will getting a C change your university choices or change things you will do? Quite often if there's not something obviously wrong in a maths paper your marks aren't really going to change, however one mark may be possible.

If it will effect you university/ any job offers you have I would get the remark.
Reply 2
Nope it wont affect anything I think it's more for a piece of mind, I worked so hard to try and get a C and then to miss out by one mark was kinda heart breaking :frown:

Remark the U for C4. What do you have to lose?
Reply 4
Original post by MathematicsKiller
Remark the U for C4. What do you have to lose?

Yeah I was thinking that, but I know I missed out quite a few questions, and of all the ones I took I feel that my C3 exam couldn't have gone better :/ so hmmm. Also C3 was the only paper I've ever written where I've answered every single question. Not sure if that will effect anything though.

Quick Reply

Latest