The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It is easy to say that but at around £100 for each test including car hire it might take people a long time to save up to have so many tests.

With me I would be under huge financial preasure to pass first or second time :frown:
I passed on my sixth test and I would say the same that has already been said to those of you who have failed tests - just keep at it!

I know people say that if you can drive you will pass etc etc, I think there is a certain amount of it which is luck as well. Whilst I realise that if you come across a bad situation you need to be able to deal with it some people will be unlucky on a test and come across alot of difficult situations and may not deal with one as well as they could do, other people get lucky and have a 'clear run' with no problems and pass well. Not just sour grapes!

It does cost alot if for every test you end up having to take, but try not to think about that (too much!) Just concentrate on passing! :biggrin: Good luck to all of you when you take your tests again! :smile:
Reply 22
failed my first test because i got to a junction and the examiner didnt say anything and so i assumed that i had to go straight on - didnt bother to look at the road signs which stated 'no entry' in two directions! Tried to drive straight on and he stopped me in the middle of the junction explaining it was a no entry ad i just sat and laughed at how stupid i had been! he wasnt impressed! Passed second time even though i took my test on Friday13th January at 13:13!!
I failed today with 3 serious and 11 minors! I'm so pissed off, I have had over 100 hours now grrrrrrrrrr. Got serious for emergency stop, not checking blindspot and observations at junctions. This is so depressing, feels like I'm never gonna pass. I had the most evilest examiner ever (and i'm not just saying that coz she failed me!!) Not sure whether to book another test, my instructor says I should, I'm so annoyed.
Don't give up, you will pass in the end. It takes some people alot longer to learn than others but you will get there! Its up to you when you book another test. You have failed with quite alot of faults though so I would want to have a look at them before I booked another test and payed for the test fee and lessons for the test. Have a couple of lessons with your instructor and take your test sheet with you, go over it and look at everything you did wrong. Work out what you did and why and look at what you need to do. I'm not saying don't book another test now but there is no point booking it until you feel ready, have a few lessons again and then think about re-booking it when you are more confident.
Personally i think a lot of driving tests are based on luck!
One of my serious was for not checking blindspot when doing TIR, that was just a stupid mistake, another was for emergency stop because I've only ever done it once with my structor and another was coz i got 4 minors in the junctions section. Really just need to work on junctions i think, i've booked another test in bout 5 weeks time and am hopefully having 4 hrs a week. Thanks for your advice. xxx
Your first serious doesnt sound like you need to worry about that then - just a case of trying to remember it in future! Emergency stop is fairly easy to do, but you do want to get some practice on it. Ask your instructor to give you a (full?) lesson on it. I spent a lesson driving around a block near where I live. There is a road where they do the ES so I drove along, did the ES, round the block, back and did it again, round the block.. until I was happy that I could do it well, remembering it all every time. Like you say, it sounds like its probably junctions that you need to work on. What was the problem with them. The same problem each time or something different? Get your instructor to help you work through them, go back to basics if you feel it would help re-capping. 5 weeks should be enough, you've got a target to aim for, but if you aren't happy nearer the time you can re-book it. Hopefully you will be ok though! :smile:
i just failed :frown: apparently i went to fast at junctiosn i had 9 minors
Reply 29
How I hate the DSA.

I failed my first test in early April on a hill start. I had the right biting point but the car wasn't in gear so I rolled back. So annoyed at myself- that's the first thing you do before you take off!

Got my next test at the start of May.

Don't give up everyone!
Reply 30
I wasnt a bad driver, my examiner was just bad at his job!
guys don't get dispondant, the test is based very little on skill and driving ability but a lot on opinion(s) of the examiner(s) and what happens on the day. I passed my 4th time and it was all silly mistakes that other examiners would have over looked and some examiners would have failed on.
Reply 32
I've failed twice, not bothered that I've failed its just the money each time....

First time was for looking over my right shoulder too late doing a reverse round the corner (irritating but fair) and bumping the kurb when going round a corner (what was i thinking?)

Second time was for apparently almost hitting a parked car... (WTF?!!!) Am incredibly pissed off about this as I've done the test twice now and both times done the actual maenourvres ok... it seems to be partly luck to me now as it wasnt like i hit the car, i dont even remember being close to it... apparently it was like two or three roads away from the end as well.....
Reply 33
I'm a three-time loser :'( long forgotten the feeling of confidence
Reply 34
Don't give up DaintyDuck. I falied my 2nd and 3rd tests through silly mistakes, but I went and passed my 4th test.Keep at it and don't give up.
Reply 35
THeodora
I'm a three-time loser :'( long forgotten the feeling of confidence

Thanks Xenon, and it is really annoying and frustrating isn't it Theordora? I know I am a competent driver. What is worse is the fact I've been doing extra lessons in dads car as insured on that. Grr, is there light at the end of the tunnel??:biggrin:
Reply 36
I failed 3 times :frown: and passed on the 4th :smile: . I didnt have my own car until after I passed so I only had the hour a week with the driving instructor, probably why I was so crap at it. In the end I did think it depends what instructor you get as I had 1 guy for two tests who was just annoying looking at his watch every 2 mins which did my confidence no help at all. The second guy kept talking to me about school so I thought I felt at ease but then I got too at ease and when he was talking about something I went straight at a roundabout while indicating left so he wernt too happy with that! And the guy who passed me was pushing 90 and looked sleepy and passed me with 3 minors (I did watch them to see how much scribbling they did on the test sheet!) Now that I drive every day I feel like I own the road though and do find myself getting annoyed at 'slow' drivers even though they're doing the limit lol Apart from that my only other annoyance is petrol, 95p at my local ASDA which is the cheapest! :eek:

On a different note, what is everyone's view on the DVLA enforcing a quota on examiners to only pass x people per day? My driving instructor told me this one but I wasnt too sure whether to take him seriously, he said a few driving instructors believed it common practice because of Britain's roads being congested.
Reply 37
minesh
How I hate the DSA.

I failed my first test in early April on a hill start. I had the right biting point but the car wasn't in gear so I rolled back. So annoyed at myself- that's the first thing you do before you take off!

Got my next test at the start of May.

Don't give up everyone!

If your not in gear, then you can't really have a biting point...

I don't think its an automatic fail if you do that. As long as you realise straight away. and stop without going back more than a few inches.

I tried to pull away after one of the manouvers in reverse. By accident because 1st and reverse were next to each other. I realised it very quickly and put it in the right gear. And i just got a minor for that.
Just failed today! I knew I'd failed within about 5 minutes because I (very, very stupidly) left my indicator on after a turning. He had to tell me to turn it off, which is never a good sign. Managed to get another in 2 1/2 weeks though, so onwards and upwards!

PS Dainty Duck, don't give up, I'm sure we'll get there eventually! I too have a father who passed his motorbike test with 2 minors and was on at me to join his 'passed first time' club in the car...I bet it was easier in their day! And I think it's just much harder under test conditions to keep your cool, my mind sort of collapsed today!
Reply 39
Well after searching the web for some comments about failing road tests i thought i would share my story.

I took my road test for the first time yesterday. I thought i was doing really good throughout the whole test right up until the end of the test. As i was making one of the last turns there was a pedestrian standing to the side about 25 ft after the turn which i saw so i preceded thinking shes gonna stand there and let me pass. I would have let her pass if she were at the corner but she was more towards the middle of the block. So as i preceded she walks out in front of the road! so i immediately put my foot on the brake and the instructer does the same on his side. Needless to say i failed because of this. The instructor said she shouldnt have been standing out in front of the road but unfortunately pedestrians have the right of way and he mentioned that he had to hit the brake which he probably didnt because i saw her and was hitting the brake at the same time. I didnt argue with him because i knew it was a lost cause. I felt really really disheartened whole of yesterday and even today. Ill try to reschedule today and will probably have to wait another month or so i guess ill have to yet again take some more time off work for some lessons and the road test. Even tho i felt this was really not my fault that i failed my confidence level has hit rock bottom. Whats even more sad was that my driving instructor has so much confidence in me that i would pass because i was doing so well during my lessons. I hate that i have to wait 4-6 weeks to take it again (NYC) but i guess theres nothing i can do now but to wait and try again.

Latest

Trending

Trending