The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Star_crossed
Just failed today! I knew I'd failed within about 5 minutes because I (very, very stupidly) left my indicator on after a turning. He had to tell me to turn it off, which is never a good sign. Managed to get another in 2 1/2 weeks though, so onwards and upwards!

PS Dainty Duck, don't give up, I'm sure we'll get there eventually! I too have a father who passed his motorbike test with 2 minors and was on at me to join his 'passed first time' club in the car...I bet it was easier in their day! And I think it's just much harder under test conditions to keep your cool, my mind sort of collapsed today!

Aww best of luck!! :smile: Thanks for the morale boost :O I need it :biggrin: Hehe
And, can I ask, how do you get your tests so early? Do you go on their website or ring up for cancellations?

:smile:
Reply 41
Failed my first test on wednesday,was so annoyed. I'd had the best drive ever, my TIR and reverse corner went perfectly, then on the last turn back to the test centre (literally 30 seconds before pulling up) theres a roundabout, I was in the right hand lane so indicated to move over into the left lane, the silver polo in that lane pulled back to let me in, waited til there was atleast 5 car lengths between me and the polo before moving into the left lane and the stupid examiner failed me saying "how could you be sure he was pulling back to let you in?" even though he was clearly letting me in! I got 6 minors up until then, a few for observations, speed and hesitancy but nothing major. was so annoyed, even my driving instructer said it's down to the examiner on the day, chances are if i had a different examiner i would have passed but oh well, i suppose theres always next time :rolleyes:
Reply 42
Failed mine on Friday, I got one serious for going into the opposite lane on the wide reverse and another serious on my ultimate nemesis.....roundabouts!ah well theres always next time!
Reply 43
Just failed over an hour ago! Bugger! fourth time lucky I hope- although every time I fail, a glimmer of hope seems to go down the drain.
Reply 44
I failed today, my first time, got 1 major and 5 minors, got the major for clipping the curb. What a waste of money! Especially as the tests have gone up to £48.50 now! :frown:
Reply 45
Jonathan
The Swiss have it easy with driving tests :p:

I failed twice, and in 9 hours I shall pass... yes, I shall...:eek:

So do just about everyone except the Brits! They really need to stop being mean to us!!

I know so many people who passed 3rd, 4th or 5th time. I don't know anyone who has passed 2nd time and only one first time. A girl I know in Germany passed first time (as everyone does there just about) and she could hardly drive. The instructor was even helping her with the pedals and apparently they are allowed to do that! A girl who passed on the same day as her, passed on condition that she had more lessons as she couldn't do any of the manoeuvres! How unfair is that! And here, if you make the slightest little mistake you fail! It just really frustrates me. I've passed now luckly, but I still really feel for everyone who is still going through it.
Yeah reading all this has brought bk the memories when i took mine! its so scary and then lots of ppl end up havin to go thru it all again. Il give you a tip though! In my test i approached a roundabout where i was told to take the right exit towards..(xxx) so i got in the right lane, but MISSED the exit because i didnt see a sign sayin (xxx) Now instead of panicking, i just remained in the same lane, went all the way back around and then indicated to move across and exited the roundabout. I didnt even get a minor, purely because i stayed calm, remained in the correct lane at all times and didnt indicate falsley. Apparently if id tried to change lanes, or exit somewhere else, i wld have failed. thank god i didnt!!
Reply 47
thanks for the tip I'll keep this in mind next time I go for my test, roundabouts is my ultimate weak point! especially when it comes to entering the roundabout at the right time.
Reply 48
im also part of the 3 times failed loser club :frown: 1st time failed with 3 majors- mirrors, speed and TIR observation. 2nd time failed with 3 majors- again mirrors, RRC and again TIR observation. 3rd time failed with 1 major- steering, hit a kerb due to steering too much. Soooo annoying, if it wasn't for getting my steering right i would've passed. Soo close. Examiner said I was driving nervously on the day even though I don't feel nerves that much myself. Where do i go on from here, keep wasting money on lessons and tests or just give up. Hate wasting money on it!! Arghhh i don't take failure easily lol.
Reply 49
Just failed yesturday :frown: I felt so confident about it - really thought I was a good driver, could do my manouvres, always look ahead/check mirrors etc. Started off really well then examiner took me down a road where the were literally HUNDREDS of parked cars - no where to stop and yet he chose that moment to ask me to pull up, well of course i couldn't so had to carry on and started to lose my cool. Eventually stopped somewhere and he asked he to do a parallel park. Wouldnt go into reverse at first, car coming towards me at the time who then decided to try and get past me. Eventually in gear started manouvre and went straight into curb! I then had to do a reverse round corner and took it far too wide. Got slightly better but near end of test i was at a junction started to pull out and it tunrs out i hadn't seen a car coming, so the EXAMINER had to stop the car with the dual control break!! I have never done anything like that before. That brought me up to 4 big fat majors! It was like someone took over me and I wasn't driving the car! Im so annoyed cos i know i can do it. Ahh well i suppose it was only my first test
Reply 50
S-J
So do just about everyone except the Brits! They really need to stop being mean to us!!

I know so many people who passed 3rd, 4th or 5th time. I don't know anyone who has passed 2nd time and only one first time. A girl I know in Germany passed first time (as everyone does there just about) and she could hardly drive. The instructor was even helping her with the pedals and apparently they are allowed to do that! A girl who passed on the same day as her, passed on condition that she had more lessons as she couldn't do any of the manoeuvres! How unfair is that! And here, if you make the slightest little mistake you fail! It just really frustrates me. I've passed now luckly, but I still really feel for everyone who is still going through it.

Yet I know Germans who swear that the German driving test is one of the hardest around. Interesting huh?
£58! Is that for a saturday test or the standard weekday one?

The price has risen a lot since I took mine almost a year ago!

Good luck with your tests guys, I didnt pass on the first attempt, sometimes its more down to luck/other road users and examiner perception afterall I failed on nudging the curb on RRC once, yet a friend did the exact same and passed.
Reply 52
xxnizxx
Failed today, second time :frown: so pissd off!!!! 2majors, 7 minors!!!
Booked the test again, and guess what, the fee has gone up to £58!!!! :rolleyes:

I have lost all motivation:frown:

Damn, sorry to her that :frown: what were your Majors for?! :frown: And the Minors?!

£58?! i payed £28 for my test (including 1 hr fresher lesson), about 3 years ago.. wow.. its getting expensive :eek:
Reply 53
xxnizxx
one because i was goin down a narrow road and a women was coming towards me and apparently i had to give way to her, but i couldn't as there was no gap on my side, and there was a gap on her side!!! so i stopped and waited for her to go in the gap, and he said i forced her to go in gap! when there was nothing else i could do!!

second major..i didn't signal on mini roundabout, i signalled afta first exit - fair enough though i should of signalled, i don't know what i was thinking! - maybe i wasn't!! hehe
:frown:

Them damn examiners can be strict, and pick up on every little thing, bastards!

Nerves got the better of you? what with some strange bloke or woman sitting next to you telling you what to do, does get a bit stressful :mad:

Theres always next time :biggrin:
Reply 54
xxnizxx
yeah:frown: thanx! Well let's hope so..third time lucky..maybe? lol

Damn right, 3rd time lucky, also seeing your "location" is london, i bet its a nightmare learning to drive or even take a test there?! :frown:
It's the money thing that's really putting me off. I failed once... I've lost all confidence in finding a decent instructor and my own driving abilities. I've stopped learning to drive for 8 months now.

I need to do this again in the summer, ready for Uni.

What days and times are best in general all over the country?
Reply 56
hakkashinhwauk
It's the money thing that's really putting me off. I failed once... I've lost all confidence in finding a decent instructor and my own driving abilities. I've stopped learning to drive for 8 months now.

I need to do this again in the summer, ready for Uni.

What days and times are best in general all over the country?

Id say bout 11am-2pm sort of time, avoids the rush hours, and all that. Or maybe after 5pm, if you want to experience "Rush Hour" in a lesson - which is a massive help, as if you don't drive in busy traffic then when you come to the test you'd be completely scared :dong:

8 months isn't a long time, but maybe you have forgotten a few things about how to drive?! if i were you, in the first lesson do a "Refresher" lesson, and if you have the little driving "handbook" with your progress of the last lessons you had before, then that would be an added bonus. - To go over the things you weren't so sure about in the previous lessons. :smile:
Reply 57
I'd actually say the earlier times, ie. before 12/lunch time. Apparently examiners have a quota or something and are only allowed to pass a certain number of people each day - they're more likely to pass you if you are one of the first people they see. If you are at like 4pm or something the likelihood is they will try and find something to fail you on because they've already reached their limit for the day..if that makes any sense....
Reply 58
i failed for ''slowing someone down on a roundabout'' basically i dint go fast enough on the roundabout, but if id have gone much faster id hav prob sped of the road!!! crazy!! ah well i passed 2nd time :biggrin:
There are not quotas!!!! An examiner who I knew, nothing to do with his work, said that there completely and uterally are not any quotas!! Has anyone actually seen data which says that more people fail at the end of the day/week/month? Maybe if more people really do fail later in the day its because they have sat at home all day worrying and working themselves up about it and worrying about quotas!!

I would say that it might be worth avoiding rush hour times for tests, some people prefer them as you might spend a fair bit of it crawling in traffic jams, but personally I find there are more idiots on the road rushing to/from work who are likely to pull out in front of you etc.

Have a look at all these links, no quotas 1 no quotas 2 no quotas 3 no quotas 4 etc etc etc....

Sorry, it just winds me up when people start or carry on 'rumours' which they have no proof for, but which will worry other people. Taking your driving test is stressfull enough as it is without believing that you will fail because you are taking it on a friday afternoon at the end of a month etc!

Latest

Trending

Trending