The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

helenlicious
I was still driving terribly the week before my test, my instructor looked really dubious and I almost cancelled it. Passed first time today with 3 minors. :cool: It can be done, 6 weeks is a long time. See if you can get some practice in between lessons on your parents' cars, if you're insured. I ended up taking my test in my Mum's car rather than my instructors cos I'd had so much more practice in it. You'll be fine :biggrin:

Well done! Ive got my own little car that I do practise in - a really old banger! Im am going to do loads of extra practise now. Ive got 4 more 2 hour lessons also.
Chester
I had three mocks with my instructor. In my first one I got.....

.....about 20minors, 20majors and a dangerous!

Passed real thing today first time. My instructor has also never passed anyone on a mock test. Ever

Well done to you aswell! My instructor has also never had any one pass a mock test. I think im going to do another mock test soon. At least I know what I need to work on now so I can aim for less minors and majors next time lol!
Reply 102
beth...
The lesson before my test, i stalled at a junction twice, i drove ON the kerb and couldn't do a reverse park!!!!! I think i got rid of all my bad driving before my test lol!

I had more or less the same experiance before my test!everything was just in a mess, I couldn't do the reverse park no matter what, I stalled the car three times!I think my instructor just gave up with me on it!
Reply 103
Boohoo :frown:

I failed my first test today, 10 minors and 1 major. I'm such an idiot and did the most stupid thing ever, pulling out and making a car slow down. Seriously I could kick myself.

In my defence I had the examiner and the examiners moderator in the car too! Though thats not an excuse, I would have failed anyway. *Sigh*
Reply 104
I failed 2day 1 major and 4 minors

Major for not checking blindspot when moving off ( Thats the right shoulder check) :rolleyes:

I did it 3 times which resulted in a major
I failed my first test today :frown: was feeling pretty confident, but kept going against my instinct wen it came down to it resulting in 3 hesitations! all of which I KNEW I could have gone! also 3 for approaching junctions too slowly! so 2 majors, gutted! Always next time eh! I did get the chief examiner n he was really moody making me even more nervous! x
Just failed my second test at Brentwood - DEFINITELY the last time I take it at that particular test centre (hardest in Britain - I can totally see why)... Loughton next time for sure ! Examiner was a total moody moron - I wish I could curse all driving examiners with bad luck (but only for a day - a lifetime might be a bit too harsh lol). Got 1 major and 5 minors. The major was for not stopping to let trafiic pass in front of me whilst reversing round a corner - GAH ! Minors were for the usual stuff (mirrors, signals etc.). I really better get it next time, cos' it just makes you feel SO low when you fail - I just feel rubbish right now - SO SO disappointed... Maybe next time, eh? lol :wink:
Reply 107
First of all, I want to say that driving tests are by far the hardest tests I've ever had to take in my life, and my step-dad who did Maths at Oxford agreed with me. They're horrible, HORRIBLE things, and I've never felt more nervous in my life than before the ones I took. They're basically luck, which is what scared me so much. I didn't want to have to keep taking them again and again, hoping that I'd pass, because of how horrible the few hours beforehand are. I also felt guilty that my dad had to keep paying for them. He was really supportive though, and would always take me out for hours in the week before the test to practice my manouvres, and always stayed calm when I got worked up and told me not to worry. I'd never have passed without him.

First test - didn't really feel ready, but my dad, who I went out driving with all the time, and my uncle, who's my instructor, thought I was ready, so I went into it not really bothered. I failed for not looking in my left wing mirror when coming off roundabouts, and for hitting the curb when reversing round a corner.

Second test - was really nervous, had told all my friends I was taking it and was sure I was gonna pass, as I'd perfected the reverse round a corner, and had all my other driving skills down. Failed for not looking in my mirror before changing speed, and for not putting my handbrake on at traffic lights. But the thing is, I had to do a parallel park, which I'd never been taught, as my uncle had said it would never come up, but just my luck, it did. I'd never done one before, so just did it how I thought it would be done, and actually made an ok job of it, but figured I'd probably failed because they were so picky, and didn't put my handbrake on, which contributed to my failure. Just told everyone I failed on the parallel park, and blamed my uncle, lol.

Third test - same examiner as first test. Had all the manouevres down, felt pretty confident I was gonna pass. However, I'd practiced all my bay parks by reversing right into a space, but as I was parked to the very right of the car park, and he decided that we'd do that one first as everyone else had left before we started, I ended up screwing it up badly as I couldn't get myself straight to start from. Failed for getting in the right hand lane on a dual carriage way after turning right onto it from a roundabout, so didn't want to cut accross to the left hand lane. It was just a short road to another large roundabout though, so what lane you get in depends on where you're going there, but as it was my test he didn't tell me till we got there, and failed me because apparently I should have moved over to the left straight away anyway. Also failed for stopping too late on the slip road onto the bypass. There was solid traffic and I'd never been on it when it was that busy before, so had no idea what to do, and stopped right on the line. Almost gave up after this one, but decided to keep on.

Fourth test - almost cancelled this and moved it as it was right in the middle of exams, but decided not to. Got parallel parking and 3 point turn, my two best manouvres. 10 minors, but who cares? I passed! Wooo! And that was only 2 days ago.
Reply 108
Corgrats on passing, I bet success feels even sweeter after you had to take the test 4 times! Enjoy your freedom!
I'm feeling pretty rubbish at the moment. I just failed my second driving test, and I'm still crying. It sucks. I failed on two really stupid things as well which I'd normally never do.
I really hate driving sometimes x
Reply 110
Today, I really thought I could pass, six goes, I had really practiced, I thought I got rid of my nerves. But no, I'm at wits end here, everytime I fail, it costs me an extra £200. So far, I have eaten £2000 into my University fund, I keep telling my parents I want to just give up, but they say I will pass some time.

They cannot see how much it is hurting me, I have cried so many times because i can't pass a stupid test. I make really pointless errors, I do well with my instructor, but everytime I get into the car, I have a physical and mental block.

I just don't know what to do, and I have failed again. I only have time for one more go before I pack up to University. All my mates have passed and I feel like such a failure. Any tips for a helpless learner? :frown:
Reply 111
Are you failing on the same thing every time? If not, then you can't really blame yourself. If so, just practice that one thing again and again till it's perfected. Like everyone has said, it's mostly about luck. I bet if everyone with a license suddenly had to re-test, only about 20% of them would pass, if that. Don't let it get you down, I know how you feel, but by the law of averages you'll pass eventually. Don't give up!
nvidia17
Today, I really thought I could pass, six goes, I had really practiced, I thought I got rid of my nerves. But no, I'm at wits end here, everytime I fail, it costs me an extra £200. So far, I have eaten £2000 into my University fund, I keep telling my parents I want to just give up, but they say I will pass some time.

They cannot see how much it is hurting me, I have cried so many times because i can't pass a stupid test. I make really pointless errors, I do well with my instructor, but everytime I get into the car, I have a physical and mental block.

I just don't know what to do, and I have failed again. I only have time for one more go before I pack up to University. All my mates have passed and I feel like such a failure. Any tips for a helpless learner? :frown:

the thing is if u just give up now all that money will go to waste because if you don't practice your driving will regress. try another test before you head to uni, book it right away. why does it cost £200 a time? i assume u spend £100 on the test but in the next 10 days do u need 2 2 hr lessons? can u practice with anyone else? if u fail again then just take a break from driving and try again soo, perhaps if you come home for christmas?
Reply 113
Just failed my first driving test. Two serious and seven minors. Apparently I went over the give way line at a junction and the examiner said a car almost hit us, which I'm almost certain didn't happen. I would have though I would have noticed a car nearly hitting us, so I'm a bit annoyed bout that! Then I was changing lanes at a roundabout and didn't observe well enough. I had to do turn in the road and reverse parallel parking as well as the emergency stop, but they all went pretty well. Oh well. :smile:
Reply 114
I passed mock test- lets just hope I can pass a real thing as not much sucess so far :frown: !!

Well done to that person who passed 4th time- there is hope for us all!!
Reply 115
As usual, I do well in my practice test (well lesson right before the test) but failed the test as a result of a lapse in concentration. I got the same damn examiner as the first time too. I got two majors on the reverse round the corner, which is annoying because I've been completing the manoeuvre successfully week in, week out. I've got two more attempts at passing the test (July and if I fail again, I'll book a test for August) before giving up learning to drive for a long time.
purplerat
Took mock test today-failed miserably with 6 majors(1 dangerous) and 19 minors.....:frown:

The real test isnt for 6 weeks, hope I can fix those problems by then.Anyone else done realy badly in a mock then pass first time?

I took another mock today nd got 2 majors 3 minors - not a pass but much better. Im improving!!!!!!!!!!!!! 4 weeks till test...
My test is in 2 weeks and i am muchos scared. I did a mock test and got about 8 minors, which I was happy with. But since then I don't seem to be able to reverse around a corner any more but I do always end up about 5cm away from the curb on a reverse park (its not skill, just luck lol).
Reply 118
Today I failed my parking but passed my road test. Another ripe off from the motoring school.
Reply 119
I failed today...with one serious, and two minors. How great...i passed up until he decided to break for me at this one junction, despite me doing the same. pshht nevermind, he was nice. Thats my second fail...third times the charm huh. I just feel like, i have to get worried about it each time, and it IS luck, and i just don't know if i can be bothered. i doubt i'll pass this next time either.... :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending