The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Brunel is [supposingly] 3rd for engineering (after oxford and cambridge. As for its location, Im not sure, i applied there for Financial Computing, the only problem is getting there. I want the 'uni experience too', but im only 17 miles away from brunel. That might seem like a 30 minute drive away, but it is infact 2 - 3 hours by public transport, plus it'll probably be nearler -/+ 3 hours depending on the traffic in the morning; going from south east london to north-west.
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
dineshmodi
Brunel is [supposingly] 3rd for engineering (after oxford and cambridge.

LOL!
Did someone nuke Imperial, Durham, UCL, Warwick, Manchester and Liverpool ?
v2006
brunell is a joke. all the dumb ass students in my year got into brunel with grades like CCD

To do what subjects? I worke dhard to get my grades to do LAw. Even though there are people who scrap by, there are some who are leagues above any student I have ever known and some of them got accepted to oxbridge
Reply 43
All lies! No-one is going to accept Brunel for Oxbridge by a mile. The fact that they traveled all the way to oxbridge, waste time on their interviews is very stupid.

Dineshmodei - You're in south-east. whereabouts and which college/6th form you go to?
dineshmodi
Brunel is [supposingly] 3rd for engineering (after oxford and cambridge. As for its location, Im not sure, i applied there for Financial Computing, the only problem is getting there. I want the 'uni experience too', but im only 17 miles away from brunel. That might seem like a 30 minute drive away, but it is infact 2 - 3 hours by public transport, plus it'll probably be nearler -/+ 3 hours depending on the traffic in the morning; going from south east london to north-west.

My friend lives in Harrow and still lives in halls!
K Abraham
News just in - -Brunel is considering changing its name to....
BRUNEL, UNIVERSITY OF LONDON.
It looks like Brunel is serious about being a strong competitor in the greater London area. Also, being associated with UofL will boost its reputation here in UK and elsewhere.

Thats very unlikely, they cant just incoorperate themselves into the University of London, without being accepted by the other colleges, their research levels are far to poor for them to even b considered.
Reply 46
Hi,

I have got an offer to study my undergrad in business and management at Brunel.Having read various opinions by people in different communities online and on askin several students studying in the university I have not got and exact answwr I feel even visisting the Uni makes no sense if I am unable to experience a class.I am waiting for a reply from durham and if I do then I will definately go for Durham but what do you feel about the university frankly.Honest opinons please
Reply 47
Brunel is probably thrid best but it's position will not attract high grade achievers. Most people care about which Uni they go to these days for best employment prospects.
Reply 48
Brunel is an OK uni. i cant say its crap. and its true that its engineering courses are very good indeed (from what i hear). also i know a grad from the ICT sector who done their work placement with microsoft. thats pritty cool.
Reply 49
They offer excellent Sandwhich degrees!
Reply 50
im in the same boat abt the business and management degree. i went to see brunel on wednesday but im still not sure. if anyone does this degree particularly the marketing route message me please!...thankyou xx
Reply 51
How is Brunel's reputation for postgrad? I'm considering it for MA professional writing, which is a course not really offered in many other places, so does that course have a good repuation? (I'd like to go into copywriting and become a freelance copy/ghost writer)
Reply 52
tinkerbellejess
My friend lives in Harrow and still lives in halls!

is it far away from Harrow?????? I thought it was near. one of my friend lives there and plans to be at home. What do u suggest is it a good idea????
-Pari
Through this thread ive seen alot about City, i know a few ppl that study LLB LAw at city, and say its not good or safe. Furthermore, Brunel and City in the Times 2007 rankings are actually the SAME. With the overall rankings, Brunel is 3 above City. The only major advantage of City is it's location.
Reply 54
I went for an interview at Loughborough and Southampton, and even got conditional offers, but I choose Brunel for my firm to do product design because the links they have in Industry are far more impressive than the other universities (as well as other things that put me off about the other two). This leads great opportunities on your year in industry and placements after you have finished.

I also spoke with my dads mate who runs a company specializing in product design and he said his company regards applicants coming from Brunel extremely highly. Its had to find the perfect university, espcially when you know your not going to get 360 points because you did 'real' A levels (Physics, Maths etc), but i think Brunel is a great choice, especially for anyone considering a sport or design course.
So we are all pretty much agreed that Brunel is for idiots then? I am going to Brunel, so I'm an idiot, too! :biggrin: The patronage is full of 'average' students from rugged working class families. And many Access students, which can't be a good thing.

Honestly, there is not much good things going on in Uxbridge these days. The area is laden with crime and pickpockets and has a notorious Gang Culture. The Tube is unreliable from Uxbridge station, and there are no decent bus services.

The Chimes shopping centre is ok, it has a cinema, mcdonalds, debenhams, french connection, gap, hmv, next, river island, starbucks, burton, topshop, jd sports, republic, toni & guy, the perfume shop, currys digital, the disney store, plus a few phone shops and a few cafes. However, please avoid the high street which includes wh smiths, tesco metro, kfc, superdrug, jjb sports, and a few banks and building societies. These shops are old skool and are not be taken seriously until they refurbish their facades to 21st century standards.

The university is falling down the league tables and it is no surpise why. Great academic students are not going to come to Brunel, they will go to a uni with more reputation and more prestige.
Reply 56
No, Brunel is not for idiots. It's a decent uni. It's academic record is similar to other unis in the London area such as City and Goldsmiths and, like those places, it tends to be in the Top 50 or just outside of it in the league tables. All 3 are also better than many newer universities. If you're doing engineering or mathematics, Brunel is a good choice. If you want to do something like History or English, it might be better to look elsewhere.
Reply 57
Andy, all you do is bitch about Brunel. If you think its a crap university, go somewhere else, we sure as hell dont want someone with your attitude joining next year. I really dont know where you get your information, but its all bs.
Reply 58
I thought Andy was being sarcastic in his thread. He did after all refer to himself as an idiot.
Reply 59
Its just an average uni. Middle table, nothing special, not a joke. It has fallen from ~ 30 to ~ 50, which is unfortunate.

Latest

Trending

Trending