The Student Room Group

Getting almost-perfect UMS scores with the right exam-technique

Hi :smile:
Very soon i will start doing my A-levels (year 12).
I am planning to take Chemistry,Physics and Mathematics(Edexcel)
I have already almost completed C1 with three more units to go; i wanted to get a head-start :P
For my IGCSEs, i got A*'s at the subjects i mentioned above (also edexcel ) :smile:
While i was preparing for my IGCSEs i noticed that - in order to get the highest mark possible in an exam - i had to include specific words and phrases so that they'll be rewarded by the mark scheme. I tend to write very long detailed answers - for e.g. For a physics question that is worth four marks, i would write a long detailed answer but i may only score two or three marks out of the available four. I tend to miss the key points listed on the mark scheme ...
I am looking for a way to be as accurate and succinct as possible to get all the marks.For maths,this is straight forward;however, for chemistry and physics it's not :P ... If you're doing Edexcel then you'll see that their mark schemes can be quite strict ...
Do you have any tips regarding revision and exam-technique to maximise my scores?
Thank you in advance for your help :biggrin:
Original post by x0x
I have already almost completed C1 with three more units to go; i wanted to get a head-start :P
For my IGCSEs, i got A*'s at the subjects i mentioned above (also edexcel ) :smile:
While i was preparing for my IGCSEs i noticed that - in order to get the highest mark possible in an exam - i had to include specific words and phrases so that they'll be rewarded by the mark scheme. I tend to write very long detailed answers - for e.g. For a physics question that is worth four marks, i would write a long detailed answer but i may only score two or three marks out of the available four. I tend to miss the key points listed on the mark scheme ...
I am looking for a way to be as accurate and succinct as possible to get all the marks.For maths,this is straight forward;however, for chemistry and physics it's not :P ... If you're doing Edexcel then you'll see that their mark schemes can be quite strict ...
Do you have any tips regarding revision and exam-technique to maximise my scores?

Lots of revision and Lots of Exam Practice Questions. I know it sounds pretty " well Duh..." but that's really it.
Reply 2
Do papers and look at mark scheme answers. learn definitions. make sure you know exactly what they're asking.
For Edexcel Maths doing all the past papers is the best way, I got 97-100 ums in modules by doing that.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I5800
Reply 3
Original post by x0x

The technique of writing down key words that are awarded in the mark schemes typically in Chemistry and Physics is spot on. Just go over as many papers and mark schemes to find the common questions in the paper and their model answers. To be on the safe side, include as many key words in an answer as possible.
Reply 4
I got almost full marks in all my A levels by doing that. It depends on what A levels you did (I did predominantly science) and by doing past papers, and learning exam technique it is very feasible.

At Uni level, however, you actually gotta understand the **** to even get 70%.

bow'diddley
Original post by kettlechips
Do papers and look at mark scheme answers. learn definitions. make sure you know exactly what they're asking.
For Edexcel Maths doing all the past papers is the best way, I got 97-100 ums in modules by doing that.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I5800

I just had my AS result few days back. I ended up with an average of B/Cs in all of my AS subjects. I wanna do better in my A2 level exam next year. Could you pls tell me some ways or techniques to enhance my grades? Thanks.
Reply 6
Original post by Nora R. Chloe
I just had my AS result few days back. I ended up with an average of B/Cs in all of my AS subjects. I wanna do better in my A2 level exam next year. Could you pls tell me some ways or techniques to enhance my grades? Thanks.

work hard.

Quick Reply

Latest