The Student Room Group

English Language/Linguistics Applicants 2013 Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Hello!

I've literally just sent off my Ucas!
Applying for English Literature/English at:
Manchester, Nottingham, Birmingham, Reading and Oxford Brookes!

Im predicted AAB and achieved ABCC at AS! Hoping this is enough!! :smile:
My GCSE's were a mixture of A*/A's and im pretty happy with my ps so fingers crossed! Anyone else applying for these courses?
xx
Original post by ConnorM
That's really interesting - 'squeek' and 'little' could be examples of this. Isn't it interesting that some languages like Italian don't 'allow' the rime of a syllable to end with a consonant? ( probably not that interesting really lol but you get the gist :wink: )

Sorry for the late reply, thought I had replied earlier...
Anyway, that is cool! It must make the 'music' of languages differ...I play the piano and love how linguistic theories often have musical analogies :smile:

I received a questionnaire from UCL today eee. They also emailed my school today to confirm my AS grades (my school doesn't cash them in so I couldn't put them down on UCAS, although I did put module results down...) - it's scary to think that they were looking at my application while I was happily going about my day! Nice to know that they are considering me though :smile:

Has anyone else had any responses?
Reply 82
Hey, I also received the questionnaire from UCL, very exciting. Think I'll take my time on it - does yours contain the questions on 'Babbadwa' :biggrin: ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone :smile:

If you wouldn't mind, could go post any PS authors on my thread so we can get a discussion going? Thank you :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2158012

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 84
Hey everyone! I've applied to do Linguistics at Cambridge, Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester and English Language at Cardiff.
Original post by ConnorM
Hey, I also received the questionnaire from UCL, very exciting. Think I'll take my time on it - does yours contain the questions on 'Babbadwa' :biggrin: ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah half term's coming up so I'm planning on looking at it properly then! Yep it does! Have you started 'decoding' it? I got quite far then a bit stuck, I'm hoping it will come to be in a moment of random brilliance at some point :wink:
It's nice to know that they are seriously considering us though!!

Original post by evalo
Hey everyone! I've applied to do Linguistics at Cambridge, Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester and English Language at Cardiff.

:hello:
I have two the same - Cambs and Leeds! :smile:
Original post by evalo

Hey! :smile: Which college at Cambridge?

Original post by Florence321
Yeah half term's coming up so I'm planning on looking at it properly then! Yep it does! Have you started 'decoding' it? I got quite far then a bit stuck, I'm hoping it will come to be in a moment of random brilliance at some point :wink:

This UCL questionnaire sounds exciting! Are you allowed to reveal what kind of others tasks it contains? :smile:
Reply 87
Original post by bíborcsiga

This UCL questionnaire sounds exciting! Are you allowed to reveal what kind of others tasks it contains? :smile:

For Jesus college! :smile:
Reply 88
Original post by evalo

:hello:
I have two the same - Cambs and Leeds! :smile:

Me too, me too! :smile: Although I haven't visited Leeds or anything at all... :redface:
Reply 89
Hi All! I've applied to read Linguistics at Cambridge, UCL and SOAS. The deadlines for Cambridge written work and UCL questionnaire make me panic :s-smilie: .. Does anyone have any clue how to decipher Babbadwa?
Original post by bíborcsiga

We're not allowed to share questions/answers, but in general terms, the first half is personal statement style questions but more specific (eg. discuss your interest in this particular area etc), while the second half is solving a grammar problem in 'Babbadwa'. It's pretty tough but a fun challenge!!
I just got an offer from Leeds!! AAB :biggrin:
Reply 92
I just got an offer from Leeds!! AAB :biggrin:

Yay well done! Me too :biggrin:
Original post by evalo
Yay well done! Me too :biggrin:

Yay congrats!! :biggrin:

(after the initial jumping-round-the-living-room it seems a bit surreal!)
Reply 94
Original post by cchloee
Hi All! I've applied to read Linguistics at Cambridge, UCL and SOAS. The deadlines for Cambridge written work and UCL questionnaire make me panic :s-smilie: .. Does anyone have any clue how to decipher Babbadwa?

Hey:smile: which Cambridge college? This Babbadwa thing sounds like fun, good luck!
Reply 95
What did you guys put for the keeping up interests section in the SAQ? I've already talked about books and and related work experience in my personal statement so I don't really have much to add...
I'm applying for Linguistics but haven't had the confidence to add myself to any stalking pages so I've just been reading through all the threads!

Haha, I was the same, just looked through what other poeple were saying until I said anything! Which Cambridge college? Which other universities? :smile:
Original post by emoss
Haha, I was the same, just looked through what other poeple were saying until I said anything! Which Cambridge college? Which other universities? :smile:

Clare! And Edinburgh, UCL and Leeds :smile:
Original post by Anna.Karenina
Well done to you too :smile: Where else did you apply?

Sorry for the long reply! I've applied to Lancaster, York, Hertfordshire and Nottingham Trent. Lancaster is my top choice though. :-)

Have you heard anything from your other choices yet?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 98

same here - well I thought I was on to something when I noticed patterns within the two syllable 'words' and their plural morphemes but then hit a brick wall with the irregulars and sort of forgot what I was looking for haha. I think they just want to see how we go about doing it really, hopefully we can come up with some respectable hypotheses. Yeah it's very exciting, where else have you applied? :smile:
Reply 99
Original post by evalo

which college of Cambridge did you apply to? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending