The Student Room Group

Social Work MA/Msc 2013!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by JoeMM
Congrats to you, Newbie on your Sheffield offer. I, too, have just received an offer from Sheffield. Woooo! I really liked the programme, people and the city of Sheffield. Two more interviews lined up so far and still waiting to hear from York (about an interview).

Congrats on your offer! :-) You must be very pleased. Where else are you going to interview?
Reply 81
Original post by GeoffH
Congrats on your offer! :-) You must be very pleased. Where else are you going to interview?

Thanks, Geoff! I am relieved to have at least one offer and really it was probably my first choice from the start, without having actually seen any of the places.

I have interviews set up at Durham and Hull and have cancelled the one at Huddersfield as I would definitely choose Sheffield over it. Haven't heard from York and I imagine I would have by now if they intended to interview me.

I will interested to hear about the bursary situation! So many different theories as to how it will work - or not!
Reply 82
OMG I'm confused, I really like Huddersfield now too :-/
Reply 83
Hi all,

I have also applied for MA/MSc Social Work courses and was just wondering if anyone had heard back from Brighton or Sussex yet? I had an interview at Brighton uni on the 6th February 2013 and since then have been asked for provide another reference and statement of all education and work since the age of 18 years! I am worried about not having enough experience.

Also I reached the intermediate stage of Sussex applications where I had to complete a booklet of info and provide another reference, which I have done, but haven't heard from since and I am worried.

I didn't apply until very near the UCAS deadline so I am aware some people on here were talking about interviews before Christmas last year, so the times may differ with where we are all up to in the application process, but still turning into a big ball of worry over here! :frown:
Reply 84
Hiya, hope you don't mind me butting in. but I am a current MA student at Hull and saw that some of you are hoping to go there. I just wanted to say that overall I would recommend the university. The tutors are all very helpful and the course (although extremely full on and challenging) seems to be structured well.

I have struggled somewhat financially, for our cohort the most we were eligible to receive was just under £6000 a year. Most of us were also eligable for our course fees to be paid. I have not worked alongside the course but I know many others have held down weekend jobs. How they do it when on placement I have no idea, but clearly it can be done. :smile:
Reply 85
That's really helpful Cat, I've been to Leeds Met today and hated it, so for me it'll be either Hull or Huddersfield if I get offered a place :-)
How many days are you in university? Are they full day or half days?
thanks
Reply 86
Just found out I've got a place at Sheffield too :biggrin:.

Quite surprised as they said it would take a few weeks and only had my interview on Friday, but ecstatic. Got some difficult decisions to make - eek!
Reply 87
Original post by newbie2013
That's really helpful Cat, I've been to Leeds Met today and hated it, so for me it'll be either Hull or Huddersfield if I get offered a place :-)
How many days are you in university? Are they full day or half days?
thanks

Errm in the first year I think the first semester was 4 days (not full days though). If I remember rightly the second semester after christmas was slightly better and we were only in 2 or 3 days depending on which modules we chose. One of the days was a bit rubbish because we had a lecture 9-12 then one 4-5 but I think that was just luck of the draw and I am sure the timetable changes every year.

If it is still the same structure, the second year is a dissertation period from October until February and during that time we hardly had to go into university at all apart from meeting with our supervisors which was arranged ourselves. There are no other modules during this period so it is a nice break after the first placement. After that it is onto placement for the final bit of the course so again it is just a few call back days actually in uni.
Reply 88
Thanks very much, I waiting to hear from Hull and Huddersfield, don't want to go to Sheffield or Leeds met. So if i get offered places at both i've a dilemma as both are structured totally different :-/
On the half days was they mainly morning or afternoon?
thanks
Reply 89
Original post by cate3110
Just found out I've got a place at Sheffield too :biggrin:.

Quite surprised as they said it would take a few weeks and only had my interview on Friday, but ecstatic. Got some difficult decisions to make - eek!

Congrats! :-)

And for all waiting on York:I emailed them last night, asking what the result of my application was, and I've heard back this morning. I've been offered a place, which I'm very surprised about but very pleased of course. I do think I'm going to accept Sheffield, though...
Anyways, the email from York did acknowledge a backlog, so it might be worth emailing or calling. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 90
Thanks very much, I waiting to hear from Hull and Huddersfield, don't want to go to Sheffield or Leeds met. So if i get offered places at both i've a dilemma as both are structured totally different :-/
On the half days was they mainly morning or afternoon?
thanks

I think it was mainly mornings. When I accepted my place they were good enough to send me a provisional timetable though july/august time so I'm sure they would be able to give you more of an idea then if you did go there. Hope you get in at them both and have the choice though :smile: Did they saay when you would find out? Hull were really quick after my interview, about a week I think. Afriad I cant help with Huddersfield, I don't know anyone that went there. I didn't even get an interview at Leeds Met so if you did you did better than me lol.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 91
Thanks very much, should hear from Hull anytime and Huddersfield next week, like them both so much, with Hull i'd have to travel an hour there and back everyday but Huddersfield i'd get on the train but still an hour or so, with Hull i could work around more as placements in May - Sept whereas Huddersfield Jan - June but i've a family also so i'm i pushing myself too much expecting to work too, argh i don't know, Hull £5000 per year, Huddersfield £6000 per year, it's difficult.
Reply 92
Oh and you don't want Leeds met, that was the most unorganised interview day i've ever been too!
Reply 93
good luck :smile: I have to travel too and it is a pain but luckily for placements I was closer to home so it was only really the first year the travelling was annoying! oh really was it haha don't feel as bad now then lol.

I originally wanted to go to Sheffield but after the interview at Hull changed my mind and so far I have been happy with my decision. I just wish I had done the BA in Social Work when I was younger instead of my BA in Criminology but hindsight is a wonderful thing eh!
Reply 94
Original post by GeoffH
Congrats! :-)

And for all waiting on York:I emailed them last night, asking what the result of my application was, and I've heard back this morning. I've been offered a place, which I'm very surprised about but very pleased of course. I do think I'm going to accept Sheffield, though...
Anyways, the email from York did acknowledge a backlog, so it might be worth emailing or calling. Good luck! :smile:

Thank you.

Ah that's handy to know re: York. Mind you, only had my interview Tuesday but I do have a tendency to obsessively check UCAS Track every 5 minutes when waiting for a decision. Might wait a couple of weeks before emailing them :biggrin: Have you had all of your interviews and responses now?
Anyone planning on going to Keele in september or heard what it is like?
Reply 96
Original post by cate3110
Thank you.

Ah that's handy to know re: York. Mind you, only had my interview Tuesday but I do have a tendency to obsessively check UCAS Track every 5 minutes when waiting for a decision. Might wait a couple of weeks before emailing them :biggrin: Have you had all of your interviews and responses now?

I've heard from everywhere now, yep. I've had offers of interviews from everywhere, but don't think I'm actually going to attend any more since Sheffield and York, as feel so sure that Sheffield is right for me :smile:
Reply 97
I'm hoping to hear from Hull anyday, I', 99% sure that'd be my first choice and then Huddersfield, I'm going to turn down Sheffield and leeds Met even if i don't get the others.
Reply 98
Cat, when are you out on placement, is it May - aug yr1 and Mar - Aug yr2?
thanks
Reply 99
Cat, when are you out on placement, is it May - aug yr1 and Mar - Aug yr2?
thanks

We were on PLO 1 from May until October and then plo2 March until August. Not sure if it still the same though as I heard they were changing the number of days that needed to be completed in practice placements.

Quick Reply

Latest