The Student Room Group
I believe Oxford focuses more on traditional theology, studying the Bible etc. Cambridge is theology with religious studies...so I assume that if you are more interested in religions other than Christianity, that would be the better choice. I didn't personally apply for it, but that's the impression I've received.
Reply 2
bazzasballs
Hey there, I was originally applying to Oxford because my school had a long history of sending theology students to OXford, plus my teachers were far more familiar with the system. However, as soon as I looked at the syllabus for Theology and Religious studies at cam I knew it was for me. The course at OXford seemed a lot more old fashioned - a lot more biblical study, with scripture and doctrine study. The course at Cambridge is so much more alive - you can study world religions, have the choice of learning sanskrit and arabic as well as hebrew and greek, and there's a far greater aspect of sociology, psychology, anthropology and history - making it much broader than at Oxford.
Cambridge is invariably easier to get into than at Oxford, as assuming that both recieve the same number of applicants, only 8 colleges at Oxford do theology whereas they all do at Cambridge (except for Churchill I think).
There's also quite a lot of variance over the college applications, but the way the theology applications work at Cambridge is that you get cross moderated (e.g. interviewed at 2 different colleges), which means that if your first college choose to reject you than the second college has first dibs on you if you're pooled.
Hope this helps.

I do believe that both have about the same number of theologians though so it isn't easier to get into at all.

I'm currently reading theology at jesus which is a great college and i'd suggest you put it on your short-list. Jesus ws my second interview college having originally applied to corpus... so the theology pool thing is a really good idea in my opinion.

I wouldn't say that any college was easier but you might have a slightly bettr chance if you applied to one of the single sex colleges or one of the new ones which as far as i'm aware recieve fewer applications. however i know people that did this a really wish that they had just applied to the colelge that they wanted to go to because they think they would have enjoyed it more.

In terms of which college take more people io think Trinity takes the most with 6 and jesus coming seond having given out 5 offers... cloely followed by homerton and John's. but again this is a it meaningless.

Everything that has been said about the course is true but remember that you will be expected to take either new or old testament... also you will have to do a scriptual language... but there is choice over the other 3 papers and those compoulsory elements only count in the first year.

The faculty is lovely at cambridge and there is a really good atmosphere. teaching is fantastic and the colleges are supurb... just pick the college you like best because on the whole as a small subject is unlikely to matter too much.

btw Jesus in 2004 had 13 applicants for just 2 spaces that year... but i think 5 of that 13 got into a college.... so don't worry.

Justin
Reply 3
Dont know if this helps but i hated tthe oxford course... just compare them and see whatyou prefer studying... And i dont think cam is any easier to get into. Plus i love the fact that you can do a range of languages at cam.
JHutcher
I do believe that both have about the same number of theologians though so it isn't easier to get into at all.

I'm currently reading theology at jesus which is a great college and i'd suggest you put it on your short-list. Jesus ws my second interview college having originally applied to corpus... so the theology pool thing is a really good idea in my opinion.
Justin

Sorry for prying, but what were your exam grades at school?

Latest

Trending

Trending