The Student Room Group

Differences between eMMC and HDD?

Hi, sorry if this has been covered in another thread or because it's an incredibly simple question (I make no secret of how technologically backward I am).
Could someone explain the main differences between a harddrive and eMMC with regard to tablets?

If my main use for the tablet is writing notes/essays and browsing the net, will eMMC be less useful than an HDD? Or does it make no difference at all?

Thanks in advance! :smile:
Reply 1
In laymans terms, eMMC is a flash storage device which has no moving parts, just like the memory inside a smartphone, USB memory stick etc; While a hard drive is a storage device which has moving parts and are in things like laptops and computers. eMMC is standard for the tablet your looking at as all tablets have no moving parts.

Although some retailers might mistake a harddrive to be the same thing as Solid state memory (eMMC)
Reply 2
Original post by Jetblast
In laymans terms, eMMC is a flash storage device which has no moving parts, just like the memory inside a smartphone, USB memory stick etc; While a hard drive is a storage device which has moving parts and are in things like laptops and computers. eMMC is standard for the tablet your looking at as all tablets have no moving parts.

Although some retailers might mistake a harddrive to be the same thing as Solid state memory (eMMC)

Thank you for explaining that so well! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending